Windows 10: ATTEMPTED TO SWITCH FROM DPC affected by ntoskrnl.exe

Discus and support ATTEMPTED TO SWITCH FROM DPC affected by ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello there, i'm new around here, I've recently encountered a BSOD out of the blue while the PC was idling. So far it only happened once, but I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Yagami5159, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ATTEMPTED TO SWITCH FROM DPC affected by ntoskrnl.exe

Hello there, i'm new around here, I've recently encountered a BSOD out of the blue while the PC was idling. So far it only happened once, but I don't want to take any chances.

The affected driver was commonly known as the ntoskrnl.exe, it happened a year back but the affected was associated with some other drivers that I known, so solving it wasn't that hard. But this time it doesn't associate with any other driver ( I may have been wrong ). Anyway, this issue occur right after I've updated the AMD Catalyst Driver, which may be root cause of this issue, but I just gotta make sure.

I've attached my recent dumpfile below, if I've made any mistake on posting, or miss out any information required for debugging, please let me know.

Many thanks *chuckle

:)

Yagami5159, Jan 12, 2016
  2. auggy Win User

attempted to switch from dpc

Thanks for the follow-up. Hopefully that will keep working.

auggy, Jan 12, 2016
  3. TomNations, Jan 12, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

ATTEMPTED TO SWITCH FROM DPC affected by ntoskrnl.exe

Additional data is required: BSOD Posting Instructions

Cause is RAMDiskVE.sys, for more we need additional data.
    Driver Reference Table - RAMDiskVE.sys
    Code: *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for RAMDiskVE.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for RAMDiskVE.sys 1: kd> lmvm RAMDiskVE start end module name fffff800`d2da0000 fffff800`d2db8000 RAMDiskVE T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: RAMDiskVE.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\RAMDiskVE.sys Image name: RAMDiskVE.sys Timestamp: Tue Jul 22 16:29:05 2014 (53CE7531) CheckSum: 000234C3 ImageSize: 00018000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote]

5. [/quote] RAMDISK eh? I used that to run my caches to reduce the loads of my SSD, though I'm not sure why RAMDISK is the cause of the BSOD. Anyway, here's the additional information requested.

Yagami5159, Jan 12, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    There might be a bit more going on
    Code: Event[12855]: Log Name: System Source: Ntfs Date: 2016-01-13T15:49:07.845 Event ID: 55 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: ASUSv7 Description: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume Z:. The exact nature of the corruption is unknown. The file system structures need to be scanned online. Event[12889]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Date: 2016-01-13T16:42:47.284 Event ID: 98 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: ASUSv7 Description: Volume Z: (\Device\HarddiskVolume9) requires an Online Scan. An Online Scan will automatically run as part of the next scheduled maintenance task. Alternatively you may run "CHKDSK /SCAN" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:> -SCAN" locally or remotely via PowerShell.[/quote] Remove Radeon RAMDisk and run following tests

ATTEMPTED TO SWITCH FROM DPC affected by ntoskrnl.exe [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST

Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.

Run chkdsk
    Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

Run HDTune to
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • check the health,
    • benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    Let me know what the results are
    • of the error scan,
    • make a screenshot of the health of every hard drive and post the screenshots,
    • post screenshots with the benchmark of the
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely.How to fill in your system specs:

7. Remove Radeon RAMDisk and run following tests

Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST[/quote]

Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.

Run chkdsk
    Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

Run HDTune to
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • check the health,
    • benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    Let me know what the results are
    • of the error scan,
    • make a screenshot of the health of every hard drive and post the screenshots,
    • post screenshots with the benchmark of the
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely.How to fill in your system specs:

Yeah... RAMDISK gave me a handful of headaches in the past few years, though it's useful as hell. I've noticed that corruption error in the event viewer and was hoping that was not the issue that causes BSOD, guess it has to go.

Anyway, I've uninstalled the RAMDISK and will diagnose my HDD if I'm able. For now, I'll mark this thread as solved.
    Thanks for your help.

Yagami5159, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

ATTEMPTED TO SWITCH FROM DPC affected by ntoskrnl.exe

1. ATTEMPTED TO SWITCH FROM DPC affected by ntoskrnl.exe - Similar Threads - ATTEMPTED SWITCH DPC

2. attempted switch from dpc error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    attempted switch from dpc error: Hi, I'm having frequent attempted switch from dpc bsodMy setup:Ryzen 5 3600Gigabyte 3060ti4x 8GB DDR4 3000mhz ramB450 MSI Tomahawk I tried fixing it myself, this is what I did in order:Reinstall WindowsUse only a stick of ramChange GPU from a 3060ti gainward from this new...
  3. attempted switch from dpc error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    attempted switch from dpc error: Hi, I'm having frequent attempted switch from dpc bsodMy setup:Ryzen 5 3600Gigabyte 3060ti4x 8GB DDR4 3000mhz ramB450 MSI Tomahawk I tried fixing it myself, this is what I did in order:Reinstall WindowsUse only a stick of ramChange GPU from a 3060ti gainward from this new...
  4. BSOD "Attempted Switch From DPC"

BSOD "Attempted Switch From DPC": Hello,Today I've experienced a bluescreen while using my computer. I was informed by my system that the BSOD was a result of "Attempted Switch From DPC", and I've been looking up guides and people with similar problems on here in an attempt to remedy the problem. According to...
  5. Attempted Switch from DPC BlueScreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Attempted Switch from DPC BlueScreen: I was browsing online when suddenly my PC ran into a BSOD with the error message, "ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC". My windows and all my drivers are up to date. Here's the minidump file. Thanks:https://mega.nz/file/4VJWhZCI#ipkwVlhTQxl9eh-snJ-OOxWFN9S6jFMpUUME5N3JL3c...
  6. Attempted Switch from DPC BlueScreen

Attempted Switch from DPC BlueScreen: I was browsing online when suddenly my PC ran into a BSOD with the error message, "ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC". My windows and all my drivers are up to date. Here's the minidump file. Thanks:https://mega.nz/file/4VJWhZCI#ipkwVlhTQxl9eh-snJ-OOxWFN9S6jFMpUUME5N3JL3c...
  7. Attempted Switch from DPC BlueScreen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Attempted switch from DPC - BSOD

Attempted switch from DPC - BSOD: Hey guys, Could someone help me analyze the potential source of this? It happened to me first time today when I booted up from sleep mode. When I debugged through WinDBG it said: "Cannot read PEB32 from WOW64 TEB32 0091f000 - Win32 error 0n30" 183316
  9. ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC BSOD

ATTEMPTED SWITCH FROM DPC BSOD: Hi folks, This is a desktop with a MSI motherboard with an i9 9900 running Windows 10 Pro 64. After much fussing around, I thought I had found the source of my problem, and blamed bad ram. After switching it out, the machine ran for days. This morning, a BSOD with the...
  10. Attempt to switch from DPC

Attempt to switch from DPC: My computer is getting crashed and getting blue screen. I am getting the following error message 'Attempt to switch to DPC' Attached log files. Kindly help me in resolving this issue. 67043
Tags: