Windows 10: Attempting to remove Password/Pin and now have a problem.

Discus and support Attempting to remove Password/Pin and now have a problem. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I was trying to follow instructions on utube to remove my pin and password – (mainly experimenting as attempting to help a friend whose HP Laptop keeps... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by margholdsworth, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Attempting to remove Password/Pin and now have a problem.

I was trying to follow instructions on utube to remove my pin and password – (mainly experimenting as attempting to help a friend whose HP Laptop keeps messing up on the sign in and locking her out so figure she is better without a pin)

BUT in the process I somehow added my OWN name as an additional person.

Now when I boot up – it comes up with incorrect password etc and I have to click on my name as administrator.

Attempting to remove Password/Pin and now have a problem. [​IMG]

Firstly I need to get rid of the two other names (myself) and just have my profile as administrator and then remove my pin/password.
    I just use a pin. Some simple help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

margholdsworth, Mar 16, 2018

2. Remove Pin

Hello,

I am trying to remove my Pin. Windows is telling me I have an incorrect Pin and Password, but I am 100% sure that I am using the correct Pin and Password. I use to remove it with no problems before the Windows Update and now I cannot. I can log into Windows
    with my PIN, but when I go to remove the pin, it want let me.

Please Help and thanks,

Scoom

Scoommoore, Mar 16, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Change password to pin

My laptop was setup to sign in with a pin not a password. It changed and now I want to remove the password, but it does not allow the remove option. I have the remove option for the pin, but I don't sign in with a the pin. How do I fix this?

LatterRain10, Mar 16, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

Attempting to remove Password/Pin and now have a problem.

First, be sure to back up all the user data, in case the wrong profile is deleted. If you can sign in by clicking your name in lower L corner, you're all set as an alternate User.
    Next, I'm guessing the account with her picture is an MS account where she can use her email password. The one with the generic avatar and gmail (please cover up her personal email in your screenshot and re-post)is a Local acct, as is yours.
    Decide which of her two accounts she can sign in on successfully and delete the other (be SURE to copy any wanted contents in Pictures, Documents, etc in the acct you want to delete to the same folders in the one you want to keep !!)
    Delete the unwanted accounts using any of a number of options covered here - Delete User Account in Windows 10
    Good Luck, mate.

mrgeek, Mar 16, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    Often you get duplicate accounts on lock screen if you have used netplwiz to set logon without password and then changed password (or changed from local account to Microsoft Account).

For example if you were logging on automatically with user "Margret" and password "Password1" and then made Margret local account into a Microsoft Account "Margret@outlook.com" with password "Password2" it will get confused.

Try going to netplwiz and toggle on and off the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box a few times (logging off in-between).

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup Windows 10 Tutorials

6. Thank you both so much for your prompt replies. Yes I did use that netplwiz a couple of times - I also had deleted successfully a profile I made for myself a long time ago but no matter what I did I could not get rid of these other profiles that did not have my picture on. In the end I did a system restore - even tho my anti virus help people advised some time ago not to use it - don't know why - but decided it was safer for me...as I just seemed to make a further mess. THat worked thankfully.
    I am reluctant to attempt to help my friend with her laptop now - are either of you familiar with the problem that some HP Laptops have that it keeps saying its the incorrect pin - its a microsoft sign in - not local user - and then it locks her out for 2 hours - I tried and got in and then next thing it would not let us in again....that was why I thought I would TRY to work out how to remove the need for a password/pin sign in.
    AM I RIGHT in assuming that if I change her to a local user there is no way for her photos to be uploaded automatically to one drive?
    Any other problems that will arise by being a local user?
    OR - do you know how to fix this problem as her pin is correct. Not sure what to do. THank you so much.

margholdsworth, Mar 17, 2018
  7. Also as suggested - how do I remove the image that has my email address on it please?

margholdsworth, Mar 17, 2018
  8. mrgeek Win User

"are either of you familiar with the problem that some HP Laptops have that it keeps saying its the incorrect pin - its a microsoft sign in - not local user - "

If System Restore worked, then create a new point (type 'create restore point' in Cortana search box, lower L) before trying all these new fixes. I have 3 HP laptops and this is NOT a brand issue but a user error. If you have a MS sign-in, verify it here - Manage Your Microsoft Account in One Place
    If your pass is, indeed, correct, you'll see options to edit your name (picture too), change password (can test change here, write new one down) and see the HP under 'Devices'. I would also check out 'Is your info up to date' section where you can have them text you a temp code to your phone if you can't sign in or are locked out.

AM I RIGHT in assuming that if I change her to a local user there is no way for her photos to be uploaded automatically to one drive? Any other problems that will arise by being a local user?

Yes, if the Local account sign-in is NOT a MS email. Here's a good tutorial on the differences. This covers adding another person (like you, for support) vs having her USE a Local account INSTEAD of her MS acct - Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Rather than complicate things by adding more users, if the Onedrive photo issue is the only problem, here's a 30 second fix to stop it and save to This PC/Pictures instead. - Turn On or Off Auto Save Photos and Videos to OneDrive in Windows 10
    You can also take the additional step of disabling Onedrive 'start with Windows' if you don't use it at all.

Also as suggested - how do I remove the image that has my email address on it please?

I see you figured that out but it would help us if you can post another after these changes, as I'm a little confused as to whether you just want the user with the picture avatar or the generic or two separate users (good to have in case the main is locked out), or what. Use the built-in Snipping tool (type in search box, lower L) which has a pen tool you can use to cross out personal name attached to gmail. You can alternately, cross out any personal info by editing the picture in Paint. Let us know if you made progress. Cheers.

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Attempting to remove Password/Pin and now have a problem. - Similar Threads - Attempting remove Password

2. Removed Pin but now log-in menu is asking for my windows account password... How to remove...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Removed Pin but now log-in menu is asking for my windows account password... How to remove...: Sigining in my Microsoft Account in Windows 10 prompted me to make a pin and I removed it now restarting it's now asking for my Microsoft account password. How do I log in without a password and/or pin without signing out my Microsoft account in windows 10...
  3. Password login not recognised, PIN removed and now can't get into laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password login not recognised, PIN removed and now can't get into laptop: Hello, I have a lenovo laptop that is linked to my Microsoft account, when I open the laptop I hw e a sign in page with my Microsoft account profile, I removed the Hello PIN earlier today, when I went back to work on the laptop later on, it did not recognise my password on...
  4. Password login not recognised, PIN removed and now can't get into laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password login not recognised, PIN removed and now can't get into laptop: Hello, I have a lenovo laptop that is linked to my Microsoft account, when I open the laptop I hw e a sign in page with my Microsoft account profile, I removed the Hello PIN earlier today, when I went back to work on the laptop later on, it did not recognise my password on...
  5. Password login not recognised, PIN removed and now can't get into laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. REMOVE Password and Hello Pin

REMOVE Password and Hello Pin: HiI want to remove password from my laptop. After updating my PC it said that set up a windows hello pin in order to make signing in easy. I went o settings > sign in options > windows hello pin and removed the pin but then It asked to enter my Microsoft account password....
  7. Can’t remove pin password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can’t remove pin password: I want to remove the pin password as it is useless and unsafe. Everytime I try to get rid of it with the recomended method it works until i turn my computer off and on at which point it tells me that “something happened and my PIN isn’t available” and it trys to make me set...
  8. Forgot Windows 10 Password, but have pin. Need to remove pin and change password

Forgot Windows 10 Password, but have pin. Need to remove pin and change password: I have a comcast account linked to a windows 10 account. I no longer have that email, or access to it. I don't even remember the password. I have the windows 10 account set to a pin, which I have. So I can log into windows the account with the pin. I want to remove the pin,...
  9. login and pin password removal

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    login and pin password removal: I am sending one of my computers in to Asus for an upgrade and a needed repair. How can remove all passwords and pin numbers so Asus can do the repairs? If I first do a complete recovery can I start over with a new password or will I have to use the older password ?...
  10. have PIN forgot password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    have PIN forgot password: been using the pin so long I have forgotten my password for Windows 10. Other than resetting everything is there a way to reset the password. No my password is not part of my Microsoft account. thanks Jesseb 62108