Windows 10: Attempting to wake causes shutdown

Discus and support Attempting to wake causes shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The computer won't automatically sleep any longer after 20 minutes. When I manually put it to sleep, it all sleeps; however, it won't wake up. Instead,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wildhare, Sep 19, 2015.

1. wildhare Win User

Attempting to wake causes shutdown

The computer won't automatically sleep any longer after 20 minutes. When I manually put it to sleep, it all sleeps; however, it won't wake up. Instead, when I move the mouse, I hear the fans engage for <1 second and then all peripherals go dark and the computer stops. When I touch the power button it instantly restarts completely.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

wildhare, Sep 19, 2015

2. WOL Wake on Lan not working after upgrade from windows 8.1

Hi Chris and Jessen P,

The setting for the soft off S5 state if your bios supports it:

Look at this artikel:

System Power States (Windows)

It claims:

"Wake-on-LAN behavior

The wake-on-LAN (WOL) feature wakes the computer from a low power state when a network adapter detects a WOL event (typically, a specially constructed Ethernet packet).

The default shutdown behavior puts the system into hybrid shutdown (S4) and all devices are put into D3. Remote wake from hybrid shutdown (S4) or classic shutdown (S5) is completely unsupported. NICs are explicitly not armed for
    wake in both the classic shutdown (S5) and hybrid shutdown (S4) cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of spurious wakes when explicit shutdown was requested.
    As a result, Wake-On-LAN is only ever supported from sleep (S3) or hibernate (S4).

Hybrid shutdown (S4) stops user sessions but the contents of kernel sessions are written to hard disk. This enables faster boot. "

But that is not true:

1. Update your driver from the vendor site

2. If you have the option to enable wake on link you can shut your pc down and wake it by WOL.

3. Standy and hibernation should work if you apply the settings of Jessen P.

Attempting to wake causes shutdown [​IMG]

Hope this helps you or someone else.

Kind regards,

isee2it.nl

Martijn Kamminga, Sep 19, 2015
  3. ZaidAkkad Win User
    System and compressed memory (ntoskrnl.exe) Problem

ntoskrnl.exe is the core of the Windows operating system

It is not a standalone binary that you can run.

The kernel power error in event viewer is just a log entry to note that the previous boot of Windows did not do a clean shutdown before being turned off. When this happens a bunch of extra checks must be done on your system and Windows will have to check for.
    Corruption and attempt repairs.

Make sure you select shutdown rather than rebooting a system that is just asleep.

I.e. Check the bios to see what wake up method is selected for the machine. You can often select wake up via hitting the space key on the keyboard. Make sure your system does not put the usb ports to sleep or the keyboard will not be able to wake the system.
    (Common problem)

ZaidAkkad, Sep 19, 2015
Thema:

Attempting to wake causes shutdown

1. Attempting to wake causes shutdown - Similar Threads - Attempting wake causes

2. Waking from sleep and sometimes even powering from shutdown causes audio to persistently...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Waking from sleep and sometimes even powering from shutdown causes audio to persistently...: I have reinstalled windows completely, updated bios and drivers, and the problem still persist. thought interesting enough, it begin to happen after the second sleep cycle. So now I am just at lost as to what app, driver or whatever is casing this....
  3. Waking from sleep and sometimes even powering from shutdown causes audio to persistently...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Waking from sleep and sometimes even powering from shutdown causes audio to persistently...: I have reinstalled windows completely, updated bios and drivers, and the problem still persist. thought interesting enough, it begin to happen after the second sleep cycle. So now I am just at lost as to what app, driver or whatever is casing this....
  4. What is causing my monitor to wake?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is causing my monitor to wake?: Whenever windows turns off my displays, within a minute or two it will play the usb disconnect/connect sound and wake my monitor NOT to the desktop but rather only the backlight will turn on and say "entering power save mode" on 2/3 monitors. I have an AMD 5600x and 6600xt on...
  5. Windows 10 waking up after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 waking up after shutdown: Related to: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-waking-up-after-shutdown/faa2a966-2c69-478f-aaf2-60bcf49cdd01Hi I have a similar problem. My computer doesn’t shut down. Well, not always. When I want to power it off, I click Start > Power >...
  6. Windows 10 waking up after shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 waking up after shutdown: I came back from a 5-days vacation and I have found my main computer which I always shut down alive and processing the usual tasks that are usually run when I am supervising it. The rack cooler was off, since i was not there, and the temperature of the board and cards were at...
  7. Wake On Lan not working from shutdown state

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake On Lan not working from shutdown state: So I am trying to enable Wake On Lan for my PC so I can turn it on remotely. The PC is in an odd spot so reaching the power button is awkward so I have made a custom wireless button (using a NodeMCU) to send the WOL packet over my network. It works just fine when I put the...
  8. Attempting Install Causes Blue Circle

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Attempting Install Causes Blue Circle: This started when I tried to install an NVIDIA Geoforce hotfix 442.01. I downloaded the hotfix and made sure it was correct with my system, but upon clicking the exe file, a blue circle popped up next to my mouse and I couldn't interact with anything on my desktop. I could...
  9. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart: Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned Reason...
  10. laptop will not wake for task from shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    laptop will not wake for task from shutdown: new windows 10 pro system, all updates installed lenovo p51s i7 7600 checked BIOS for any related s3/s5 settings but did not see anything nothing in power settings about fast startup (to disable) turned hibernate off with powergfg.exe the laptop will wake from...