Windows 10: AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer?

Discus and support AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm not a Cortana user on my desktop and would like to disable her, but as I have already updated to W10 1607, I understand that this can't happen on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by flycaster, Aug 27, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer?

I'm not a Cortana user on my desktop and would like to disable her, but as I have already updated to W10 1607, I understand that this can't happen on W10 Home. So I ask: If I follow these instructions (You can't turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | PCWorld), will this in any manner speed up my computer? I originally found out that if in order to stop the automatic web searching in File Explorer, I would first have to shut Cortana down; but as I can't fully do that, I'm looking for an alternative...if possible. BTW, I am an Everything user...along with File Explorer.

:)

flycaster, Aug 27, 2016
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Aug 27, 2016
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer? :(

oh gawd wat to do ? AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer? :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer? :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer? :)

musum, Aug 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

No, you shouldn't notice any difference in speed. Cortana uses some RAM, but no noticeable CPU time if sitting there being ignored. I hide the search bar on the task bar, I don't use Win 10's start menu, and I leave Windows indexing as default and use a tool sthg like Everything (v1.4b is better as it adds a useful GUI by the way).

See:
    Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

if you want to 'kill' Cortana rather than leaving her sulking in a corner...*Smile

?

... to do what exactly?

You may find the search box in Classic Shell start menu (free) of interest. It can optionally:
    - search files and folders
    - search the web
    - search the start menu

AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer? [​IMG]

Oh, and it works as a fully functional start menu, is highly configurable, supports drag 'n drop, and expresses a Win 7 style folder/subfolder menu properly (which Win 10's dismally fails to do).

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  5. Rocky Win User
    I have Cortana fully enabled and right now (I just opened up task manager) Cortana is using;

0% of CPU and
    30 mb of RAM.

This is so negligible that there is no effect on PC performance.

Rocky, Aug 27, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    @flycaster:

You've got an i5 and 12 Gigs of RAM, you shouldn't have to worry about Cortana hogging your resources.

Edwin, Aug 27, 2016
  7. flycaster Win User
    Thanks, all. Going to leave well enough alone...

flycaster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer? - Similar Threads - 1607 Hinder Cortana

2. speed up computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speed up computer: how do i speed up my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speed-up-computer/66ed8e6b-a3eb-4763-85d3-a3f9af41b5f7
  3. speed up computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    speed up computer: Want to speed up computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speed-up-computer/964fee4e-5a3f-493a-9efb-6d70fa341e22
  4. how to speed up computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to speed up computer: my computer is slow how do I speed it up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-speed-up-computer/6bef8c8c-372d-49ec-833c-2f0c6bda7b80
  5. Speeding up computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Speeding up computer: Hi;I kindly wanna ask how I can increase the speed of my laptop which uses windows 10 and was bought around five months ago? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speeding-up-computer/7c4dfde2-c2c0-4118-a465-598ff22307dc
  6. Speeding up your computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Speeding up your computer: I have not optimized my computer as of yet and I have no clue as to how long to expect it to take and what else I need to do to it to speed it up and to get it to download another version of Windows prior to the preview expiration date. can anyone help me! I hope this can...
  7. Windows 10 AU 1607: Icon Text Left Justified

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 AU 1607: Icon Text Left Justified: Yesterday I installed Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607 14393.10 Now my Explorer Icon Text is all Left Justified, I HATE IT! [EDIT] Just realised that it isn't consistent. In some windows it isn't all left justified. The first line is centred, the remaining lines are...
  8. Windows 1607 (AU) sludge -Scheduled Tasks/Start Ups

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 1607 (AU) sludge -Scheduled Tasks/Start Ups: I finally had to go to Windows 1607, thanks to the update that doesn't let you resched/change reboot times. Now I've been on it about 2 weeks. My startup, restart, and shutdown times are very slow! I finally made time to start looking for ways to optimize. I have a utility...
  9. Any significant hardware requirements change with the AU 1607?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Any significant hardware requirements change with the AU 1607?: I had a helluva time struggling with getting my computer updated from the original build of Win10 (the 10240 RTM release) to the Anniversary Update (1607), to the point where it just would not happen, no matter what I tried. My computer was running the original release just...
  10. A new glitch apparently due to AU 1607?

in Windows 10 Support
    A new glitch apparently due to AU 1607?: After installing AU 1607 and having a heck of a time trying to get Logitech's Setpoint 6.67.83 to install and get my TRB-22 to work - never did (see posts on Drivers and Hardware), I now had an interesting incident which may be or not be related to the AU install. Woke...