Windows 10: AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.

Discus and support AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have read update problem under metered connection is solved in AU. I having 14393.105. Still in my metered wifi connection, it shows automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by lvgandhi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. lvgandhi Win User

AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.

I have read update problem under metered connection is solved in AU. I having 14393.105. Still in my metered wifi connection, it shows automatically "Downloading updates 0%" and hangs when I go to updates section of settings.

:)

lvgandhi, Sep 6, 2016
  2. John582n Win User

Windows Updates

You can get them from
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/windows.aspx

You would first need to establish which ones were applicable to your systems.

Also, if you are using a WiFi connection, if you set the connection to Metered connection updates won't download

John582n, Sep 6, 2016
  3. Scheduling Metered Connections Status

I am connected to Internet that is free of charge from 1 o'clock to 7 in the morning and want to schedule this in windows 10. it means I want to set task scheduler to set my WiFi metered status as off at 1 o'clock and set it as on at 7 o'clock every day
    in the morning. as you know you can turn metered status of an Internet connection off or on in Window 10 to let it run auto updating or not as windows 10 stops updating when you are on metered Internet connection. it is done by opening Setting then Network
    & Internet then WiFi then Advanced options then setting as metered or not. I want to only change the metered status at that hours. I do not want to block Internet or any other restrictions just because Windows 10 stops auto updating on metered connections
    and there is no other way to stop updating to prevent unmanaged costs.

please help me do this

Thank You

MahmoodMomeni, Sep 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, to which problem are you referring?
    Setting connections as 'metered' is used as a fudge to inhibit updates by people with the Home edition as they don't have an option to defer updates.

dalchina, Sep 6, 2016
  5. lvgandhi Win User
    Sorry. Your question indicates my statement is not clear. I have one wifi connection as metered. When I go to update page of settings, I see as below and it hangs like that.

AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection. [​IMG]

If I am correct, in metered connection downloading process should not start on its own. Now neither I can ask to download the update nor stop it.

lvgandhi, Sep 6, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Sorry, I meant your statement
    That's the only occurrence of the word problem in your post. Thus I was referring to your use of it.

You're correct that setting a connection (either Wifi or ethernet according to Brink, our admin) should stop Windows updates. However, this is widely reported a workaround for Home users, and as such is not guaranteed.

dalchina, Sep 6, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    Yes, you are correct in that there was this problem in the initial release of the AU, documented here...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...tml#post765965

This was fixed in a subsequent update...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...tml#post788404

...and is working as expected (you get offered a 'Download' button) for me with build 14393.105. It should be working for you too, but apparently it's not. The workaround to complete the download is simple - just temporarily turn off 'metered connection' until the download has finished. Then you can start to work out why the updates didn't sort it on your system.

Bree, Sep 6, 2016
  8. AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.

Confirmed: the issue was resolved on my machine by a Windows Update - not sure why it isn't working on your machine, lvgandhi

Try these suggestions - you can stop if any resolve it for you

• Cold start (not restart) your machine
    • Toggle metered off / on
    • Disable / Enable your wireless adapter
    • Verify your system files:
      • Right click the Windows icon
        (aka Start button) on the Taskbar
        Select Command Prompt (Admin)
      • Enter the following lines in the Command Prompt window:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /ScanNow
        If there are any errors on the screen after the commands run,
        Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs
        Right click the CBS folder
        Select Send to > Compressed (zip) folder
        answer yes to place on DesktopAttach the zip folder to your next post
      Full tutorials:
      Run DISM in Command Prompt
      Run SFC /ScanNOW in Command Prompt

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2016
  9. lvgandhi Win User
    Yes. Previous update. I used your last suggestion turning off temporarily metered. it worked. But that is not the solution.

lvgandhi, Sep 7, 2016
  10. lvgandhi Win User
    I toggled metered on/off and sfc /scannow also. Sfc /scannowdid not report any errors. They did not help. Disabling and enabling adapter restored metered status and showed download button as below.

But download button is frozen and clicking has no action.
    I could not understand what you meant by cold start not restart. Can you please explain?

lvgandhi, Sep 7, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Turn off pc - switch it back on again.

cereberus, Sep 7, 2016
  12. lvgandhi Win User
    I did that. It does not help. I read cold boot as switching of power button and switching it on after10 secs. I did that. Even that did not help.
    DISM operation also showed all is normal.
    I had to install updates removing metered.
    Now I have to wait for next update.

lvgandhi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection. - Similar Threads - auto Update problem

2. Auto update Windows Defender definitions on metered connections

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Auto update Windows Defender definitions on metered connections: Windows Update packages are around 1GB so I used regedit to automatically set all internet connections as metered since I'm on a budget cellular plan but I want Windows Defender to download definition updates as soon as they're available regardless if I'm on a metered...
  3. Windows Update and Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update and Metered Connection: For both February and March the Updates have gone on to my machine despite Metered Connection being set on my internet connection. This is Windows 10 Home. At the moment Updates are only once a month and there aren't the previous quality issues. I know I can Hide or Pause the...
  4. WIFI PROBLEMS WITH DISABLING AUTO CONNECT & DRIVER SOFTWARE UPDATES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI PROBLEMS WITH DISABLING AUTO CONNECT & DRIVER SOFTWARE UPDATES: Hi, Could some please assist me by giving a solution to my problem, A few of my friends have used my computer to connected to other wifi source now i can't seem to get rid of them they are still present even when the connection is not in range as well as all the...
  5. METERED WIFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    METERED WIFI: I mistakenly metered my WIFI and want to reverse it. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-wifi/a6a8f278-bf63-4af4-8edf-2679d54b77fe
  6. Metered wifi

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered wifi: I cannot complete downloads because metered wifi is on, this I think needs to be changed and as far as I can make out I have to change form Administrator acc to user acc, but I can't find how to do that....
  7. Updates on a metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  8. Stopping auto updates on metered connection windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stopping auto updates on metered connection windows 10 home: Greetings all. I have a small metered connection. It's only 1 GB per month. And I can't delay the auto updates until I'm at a public connection. My computer sneaks, and downloads the auto updates without me knowing it . And if I do know it, I can't stop them so I can...
  9. Auto Download On Metered Connection

Auto Download On Metered Connection: I have recently to FCU. Now even in metered wifi connection, while checking for update, it automatically downloads and hangs. See pic below. What to do to avoid this? [img] 98481
  10. Wifi Auto Connect

Wifi Auto Connect: I have a PC out in my building and it runs off wifi, sometimes my modem shuts down and reboots but it will take like 5-10 minutes unless I go all the way back to the house and power cycle it. The problem is my windows 10 is set to auto connect to it but never does unless I...