Windows 10: AU - odd discrepancy on lock screen

Discus and support AU - odd discrepancy on lock screen in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've updated two of my computers to UA now, with good success (so far, at least). One is a laptop running 10 Home, the other, a desktop/all-in-one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by skiahh, Aug 5, 2016.

1. skiahh Win User

AU - odd discrepancy on lock screen

I've updated two of my computers to UA now, with good success (so far, at least).

One is a laptop running 10 Home, the other, a desktop/all-in-one running 10 Pro.

On the laptop, when I click or slide the lock screen up to log in now, the background picture stays and the login screen (PIN/Password) is transparent over the picture.

On the desktop, it still goes to the solid theme color I've set to enter my credentials.

I don't think I changed a setting on the laptop, but if I did, I don't know what it is! I like the transparent login and would like to put it on the desktop. Anyone know what setting that might be?

Thanks!

:)

skiahh, Aug 5, 2016
  2. Van1 Win User

Can't enable both Lockscreen slideshow and Screensaver slideshow at the same time

I recently went from W10 TH2 to W10 AU. With TH2 I was able to rid myself of the utterly useless Lock Screen. Now, with AU, because M$ ALWAYS knows what's best for its customers, that capability has been removed.

The only time I see the Lock Screen is when I turn on the computer. After that the Screen Saver kicks in, as it should. And why should it make a difference if I have the Lock Screen set to Picture or Slideshow? There is no connection between the Screen
    Saver and Slideshow Lock Screen. I have absolutely no doubt M$ could fix this; it just has to admit it made a mistake and fix it.

(Also, the "Notify me when someone responds to this post" doesn't work. Why not?)

Van1, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary Update broke lock screen slideshow

I have the same problem, that after AU the lock screen no longer shows the selected picture, but only a plain blue'ish screen with date and time on it. However, I do not have slideshow selected, but only a single picture. I get no warning, the picture simply
    does not show.

Except for sometimes... Now and then, the selected lock screen picture shows, once or twice in a row, and then at the next log on the plain blue screen shows again. This is very annoying, and you wonder what else in AU does not work as it should...

And this is on a Surface Pro 3.

MartinFabian, Aug 5, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

Settings -> Personalization -> Lock Screen
    In there: Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen

AndreyT, Aug 5, 2016
  5. skiahh Win User
    Not there on the desktop (Win10 Pro). Any idea where to look for it?

skiahh, Aug 6, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    It is there on my Pro.

AU - odd discrepancy on lock screen [​IMG]

cereberus, Aug 6, 2016
  7. skiahh Win User
    Yep, that's where it is on my laptop. But it's not there on the desktop (Win10 Pro) version.

So, the question is, is there a group policy setting or registry setting I can change to enable it in Pro?

skiahh, Aug 7, 2016
  8. AndreyT Win User

It is there on all of my desktop Win10 Pro.

AndreyT, Aug 8, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    *Ditto*Ditto

OldMike65, Aug 8, 2016
  10. skiahh Win User
    OK, I get that it's there for others on Pro, but the question is, how do I get it to show up on my version??

skiahh, Aug 8, 2016
  11. Michi302 Win User
    This is really strange. I have exactly the same problem on my Windows 10 Pro laptop but everything works fine on my Windows 10 Pro desktop.

Have you found a solution yet?

Michi302, Sep 4, 2016
  12. Michi302 Win User
    I actually just found the solution:

Open the Registry Editor and delete "DisableLogonBackgroundImage" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" or set it to "0".

Michi302, Sep 5, 2016
  13. skiahh Win User

OK, got it.

You have to edit the registry.
    1. Open the registry editor through your preferred method.
    2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > System.

3. Click on System and look for an entry that says DisableLogonBackgroundImage. If you have the entry, change the value from 1 (True) to 0 (False). Lock your screen and test. This is what worked for me, as I had the entry.

3a. If you don't have that entry, create it. Right click (in the right pane, where the entries go) and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Label this new DWORD DisableLogonBackgroundImage.

4. Right-click on DisableLogonBackgroundImage and click Modify (or just double click on the entry name).

5. Under Value data, make sure the value is 0 type 1 (default will be 0). Click OK. (To switch back to the default Windows log-in screen, change this value to 1.)

This is the article where I got this, except 0 enables my image and 1 disables choosing it on my machine; that is, the article has it backwards.

Change the Windows 10 log-in screen background - CNET

[Edit: Oops... didn't see the second page. You beat me to the solution!]

skiahh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. AU - odd discrepancy on lock screen - Similar Threads - odd discrepancy lock

2. Caps Lock works oddly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Caps Lock works oddly: In most applications, Caps Lock simply doesn't work, but in system applications like Task Manager it does.For example, if I enable Caps Lock in Task Manager and switch to another application, Caps Lock remains enabled and properly works, but it cannot be disabled by pressing...
  3. Caps Lock works oddly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Caps Lock works oddly: In most applications, Caps Lock simply doesn't work, but in system applications like Task Manager it does.For example, if I enable Caps Lock in Task Manager and switch to another application, Caps Lock remains enabled and properly works, but it cannot be disabled by pressing...
  4. An odd discrepancy between Language layout in the taskbar to Languages in the Settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An odd discrepancy between Language layout in the taskbar to Languages in the Settings.: I have two languages installed on my Laptop Eng US and HEBREW.*It's a week old Laptop!!!After turning it on, that is exactly what I see in the Language layout and pressing on Alt+Shift is enough to change between them.After a While an hour or so I have two extra languages in...
  5. An odd discrepancy between Language layout in the taskbar to Languages in the Settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An odd discrepancy between Language layout in the taskbar to Languages in the Settings.: I have two languages installed on my Laptop Eng US and HEBREW.*It's a week old Laptop!!!After turning it on, that is exactly what I see in the Language layout and pressing on Alt+Shift is enough to change between them.After a While an hour or so I have two extra languages in...
  6. Registry discrepancies

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Registry discrepancies: I could not find a more appropriate category for this question.What to make of the fact that a SEARCH in RegScanner can reveal results that do not appear in Regedit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-discrepancies/7edf7060-056e-495a-a19d-51f5c433e241
  7. Odd screen flickering

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd screen flickering: Hello All,I know this type of question has been asked numerous times, but I can't figure out how to fix this problem. I have an ASUS Transformer Flip TP550L. It is an intel i5 with an intel HD 5500 graphics, Ever since I undated to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update a couple...
  8. File size discrepancy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File size discrepancy: Hey all, I'm having an issue with downloading a file. The file is 1.3 GB while this PC has 2.36 GB remaining, yet still uses up all disk space when attempting to download. (P.S. downloading .zip files to a USB appears to corrupt them)...
  9. AU

in Windows 10 Customization
    AU: 0x0c00007b Moved from: Microsoft Education / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/au/161de6c4-f034-4c8b-b74c-f2c8a679e304
  10. Dual screen full screen zoom discrepancy with same resolution.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual screen full screen zoom discrepancy with same resolution.: I'm running windows 10 on an ASUS Desktop computer with a GeForce GTX650. I dual monitor with a Samsung monitor and Samsung Plasma television. even though both devices are set to 1920x1080 (I've checked, repeatedly, and included screenshots) yet when I drag a window from one...