Windows 10: Audio and start menu randomly stop working

Discus and support Audio and start menu randomly stop working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I never had this problem when I was using Windows 8.1. This problem mostly occurs when I'm playing a game (Dota 2, Battlefield 4, Fallout 3, etc) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by koffeinator, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Audio and start menu randomly stop working

I never had this problem when I was using Windows 8.1. This problem mostly occurs when I'm playing a game (Dota 2, Battlefield 4, Fallout 3, etc) and sometimes when I was just browsing the web, watching youtube videos. The sound will just disappear, although the program just works normally (kinda like the speaker got unplugged). When this happens, I can't left click the audio icon (but right clicking it works) and the start and search menu don't work too. When I tried to test the sound it will show an error, can't play or something like that.

I've googled and tried many solutions, and many are basically reinstalling driver. The problem goes away after restarting my laptop, but the problem will just occur again sometime. This is extremely annoying as I play online a lot.

I'm using ASUS PU451LD and it uses Conexant SmartAudio driver. My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

:)

koffeinator, Oct 3, 2015
  2. Trucidar Win User

Sound randomly stops working in Windows 10 / Also Start bar stops working.

Randomly my sound stops. I switch my default device to my headphones and it works, but eventually that randomly stops too. When I try to test the audio, it says it cannot because they are being used by another device.

Additionally, my start bar doesn't work sometimes. I can hover over things and select from their menus, but clicking on icons like my notification icon, the search bar or the start button do nothing.

Please feel free to ask me any additional information you might need to help me figure this issue out. Thanks.

Trucidar, Oct 3, 2015
  3. Start Screen Jumps Up After Update

I'm concerned if I do a system restore then I won't be patched against these latest cyber threats?

In the meantime I unpinned every live tile from the start menu but still the start menu pops up randomly. When it does it stops whatever application is running at the time. i.e. minimises YouTube, stops video or audio playing so you have to start it again.
    Is there anyone else also experiencing this? Ironically though the 1 minute sleep issue seems to have stopped but now it has been replaced by an equally annoying and disruptive issue unfortunately.

Screentan#1, Oct 3, 2015
Thema:

Audio and start menu randomly stop working

1. Audio and start menu randomly stop working - Similar Threads - Audio start menu

2. Audio randomly stopped working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio randomly stopped working?: Hello, i opened up my pc to play some games today and realized my audio wasnt working, my speakers are not muted, drivers are up to date, and is showing up on my pc as working but i cant hear any audio coming from it. i dont know what to do and i dont know how to solve this,...
  3. Speaker Audio stops working randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speaker Audio stops working randomly: Speaker Audio stops working randomly and I have to reboot it to fix it. I am constantly playing back audio files and streaming audio music from this computer. The computer can operate without any issues for a few days or even a couple of weeks before I have an issue. I...
  4. Audio Device Randomly Stops Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Device Randomly Stops Working: Hello, I use a TV as a monitor, and as of the April update, the audio driver seems to be exceptionally unstable. I have isolated the issue to Windows, by using different devices with the HDMI port on the TV, different cables, and different ports from my PC to the TV....
  5. Audio randomly stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio randomly stopped working: Yesterday, I was on my MSI laptop watching some Netflix. I left it for 30 min and when I came back it was on sleep mode (as it should). When I woke my laptop up and went back to the Netflix tab, the audio did not work. I unplugged my headphones and the audio still did not...
  6. Start menu's search randomly stops working after update to 1809

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu's search randomly stops working after update to 1809: Hi, We rolled out 1809 in our company couple of days ago. After update I noticed annoying problem with start menu. When I hit win-key and start to type a program's name (outl..., mstsc etc) the start menu grays out and goes unresponsive. It comes back to life if I hit...
  7. Realtek Audio stopped working randomly

Realtek Audio stopped working randomly: help! i was on my HP laptop and i paused a youtube video to do something and came back my sound not working at all. Every time I try and troubleshoot the audio it tells me there's a generic audio device that is not working. I have no idea what that means. I've googled and...
  8. audio randomly stops working

audio randomly stops working: Hello all, My computer is currently connected to my Vizio E420-A0 TV (HDMI). My audio randomly stops working and the display audio device disappears. When it works I can see it in device manager: [img] [img] And when it stops working it disappears: [img]...
  9. Start menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu stopped working: The Startmenu stopped loading at startup and/or when depressing window. It use to work fine. New updates are messing up and resetting many of my settings. 82721
  10. Start Menu stops working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu stops working?: Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works. Any ideas? 24315