Windows 10: Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem

Discus and support Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. While working at my Windows 10 PC yesterday, I realised there was no sound. My media players gave video only and Avidemux gave a warning “Trouble... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dortmunder, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem

Hi. While working at my Windows 10 PC yesterday, I realised there was no sound. My media players gave video only and Avidemux gave a warning “Trouble Initializing Audio Device”. All the obvious checks suggested that there was no problem, drivers were up to date etc.

I went to the sound icon in the system tray and clicked 'Troubleshoot sound problems' which told me it had fixed something but didn't say what. I now have my sound back but with some new issues:

• my WMP no longer plays mkv files
    • my mkv files no longer show a 'thumbnail', just the logo of whichever media player is set to play them.
    Can anyone suggest what on Earth happened yesterday? Many thanks.

UPDATE: I've found one or two mkv files that DO work with WMP and show thumbnails(!!). But the vast majority of my mkv's have the highlighted problem. All very odd...

:)

dortmunder, Dec 15, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

CANT GET AUDIO WITH A MKV VIDEO

Is it just one MKV video or all MKV videos?

Usually this is not a Windows Problem, the problem is that there is so many MKV encoders out there and there is no consistency with the way MKV files are being encoded . . .

I have seen this with certain MKV videos, that were downloaded from the Web. The problem is that sometimes the MKV file contains 5.1 Dolby sound and this is not supported on many devices and applications for playback.

There is a very good tool MKVToolnix downloadable from
    HERE
    , which will allow you to look inside the MKV file to see if this is the case. The tool will allow you to extract the audio stream, re-encode it and put it back into the MKV file. Then hopefully the MKV file will play as normal.

I hope this helps!

DaveM121, Dec 15, 2017
  3. Video is stuttering when playing mkv files with any media player. It's a Surface Pro 4.

Which media players have you tried? MP4 and MKV are containers, so did you ensure the audio and video codecs used in both types of test files were exactly the same? If not, take any MP4 that plays back smoothly and convert it to an MKV
    without re-encoding using
    mkvmerge GUI
    (basically just drag & drop onto that app and save as MKV, preferably with the header compression option turned off). It should not take very long to do this and you'll end up with the exact same contents of the MP4 in an MKV container instead.
    Now play the MKV with various media players and see if it stutters.

RobertJWin, Dec 15, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem

WMP does not natively play mkv files. Did you add a codec package before to do this ?
    You can download VLC player which will play virtually any audio/video codec out there. The thumbnails show fine on my system when VLC is the default play program for all video files which you can choose on setup. Worth testing if nothing else, making sure to choose correct bitness for your system -
    Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN

mrgeek, Dec 15, 2017
  5. I'm fairly sure it was after the recent Fall Creators Update that I noticed WMP could play mkv. I just assumed it was an upgrade to WMP. I don't use codec packs (unless they come with something else - MeGUI or suchlike). I'm more interested in what caused the audio to stop more than the mkv issues but I'll have a look at VLC. Thanks for your time, mrgeek.

dortmunder, Dec 16, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    I have WMP disabled for years but does the file play in Win10 Movies & TV app ? This does play mkv's w/o codec packages. Even if it does, I prefer VLC for the abundance of playback features. Good Luck

mrgeek, Dec 16, 2017
  7. No, the Films & TV app 'Can't play' an mkv. Error 0xc00db3b2 which some reddit users are also having a problem with.

dortmunder, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem

1. Audio disappeared - got it back but now have odd mkv problem - Similar Threads - Audio disappeared got

2. Audio Disappearance & Booting problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Disappearance & Booting problems: I recently got a new motherboard + CPU ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E and an i9-13900K due to issues with my old ones.I've had the following issues with my new products for a few weeks, but since they would only occasionally happen and I was too busy with other things to dedicate time...
  3. Audio Disappearance & Booting problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio Disappearance & Booting problems: I recently got a new motherboard + CPU ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E and an i9-13900K due to issues with my old ones.I've had the following issues with my new products for a few weeks, but since they would only occasionally happen and I was too busy with other things to dedicate time...
  4. Having problem with the audio.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having problem with the audio.: Hi, I am Akshansh,I have a problem from many days that:After the automatic disk checkup at the time of boot, I started my computer ans saw that Audio is not coming. After troubleshooting that it shows "One or more sudip services is not running". I saw lot of community posts,...
  5. Having problem with the audio.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having problem with the audio.: Hi, I am Akshansh,I have a problem from many days that:After the automatic disk checkup at the time of boot, I started my computer ans saw that Audio is not coming. After troubleshooting that it shows "One or more sudip services is not running". I saw lot of community posts,...
  6. Having problem with the audio.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. I got the old audio mixer back

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I got the old audio mixer back: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/LinuxCoder18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kpeuhh/i_got_the_old_audio_mixer_back/
  8. Changed CPU now got problems :/

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changed CPU now got problems :/: Hey, i changed my CPU from an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT yesterday and then i played a match in a Game and got some blackscreens. A Friend of mine told me to remove old drivers with DDU and install new ones. Now i installed a new Chipset Driver but cant...
  9. suddenly got the error 0xc00d36cb on mpc with mkv files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    suddenly got the error 0xc00d36cb on mpc with mkv files: Before the last update of MS W10, I could read mkv format on mpc player, and when I wanted to read today an mkv file, I got this error. Can some one help me, thanks in advance....
  10. 2nd Major Problem - Audio disappears

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd Major Problem - Audio disappears: Running 1903 (Build18362.535) When I turn on my laptop I get the Windows startup tune. If I go to my Music folder in File Explorer I can a folder and play it - for about 7 minutes. Then the sound goes away. And stays away. No system sounds, no application sounds. Even after a...