Windows 10: Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows

Discus and support Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows How to Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows Offline Files is a feature... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by PrayNight, Jun 10, 2016.

1. PrayNight Win User

Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows

How to: Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows

How to Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows

Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable.

Users can use offline files (if always available offline to keep a copy of the files stored on the network on your computer. This allows users to work with them even when they are not connected to the network or a server is unavailable. The next time the user connects to the network or the server is available, their offline files on your computer will automatically sync to the network files on the server to update.

Users can encrypt the contents of their Offline Files cache on the computer to protect it from unwanted access.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to encrypt or unencrypt the Offline Files cache for your account or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note In Windows 7, the offline files feature is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the offline files feature is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the offline files feature is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

*Warning If you encrypt the Offline Files cache, it would be highly recommended to restore your file encryption key.

Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows [​IMG]

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for Current User in Sync Center
    • Option Two: Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for All Users using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for Current User in Sync Center
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sync Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage offline files link on the left side of Sync Center. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (encrypt) or step 5 (unecrypt) below for what you want to do.

4. To Encrypt Offline Files Cache for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Encryption tab, click/tap on the Encrypt button, and click/tap on OK when it has finished encrypting. (see screenshot below)

5. To Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Encryption tab, click/tap on the Unencrypt button, and click/tap on OK when it has finished decrypting. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache

EncryptCache DWORD

0 = Unecrypt
    1 = Encrypt

1. Do step 2 (encrypt) or step 3 (decrypt) below for what you want to do.

2. To Encrypt Offline Files Cache for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Encrypt_Offline_Files_cache_for_current_user.reg

Download

3. To Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Unencrypt_Offline_Files_cache_for_current_user.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. sign in to apply.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE [/i] Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

If enabled (encrypt) or disabled (unencrypt), this option will override Option One and Option Two.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files

3. In the right pane of Offline Files in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Encrypt the Offline Files cache policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (encrypt), step 6 (unecrypt), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Encrypt Offline Files Cache for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default Not Configured Offline Files Cache Encryption Policy
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

9. When ready, sign in.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

If enabled (encrypt) or disabled (unencrypt), this option will override Option One and Option Two.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetCache

EncryptCache DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Unencrypt
    1 = Encrypt

1. Do step 2 (encrypt), step 3 (unencrypt), or step 4 (disable) below for what you want to do.

2. To Encrypt Offline Files Cache for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Encrypt_Offline_Files_cache_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Unencrypt Offline Files Cache for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Unencrypt_Offline_Files_cache_for_all_users.reg

Download

4. Default Not Configured Offline Files Cache Encryption Policy

Default_user_choice_Offline_Files_cache_encryption.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. When ready, sign in.

9. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file.

Related Tutorials

:)

PrayNight, Jun 10, 2016

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows XP file encryption

My suggestion to you is to look into what kind of encryption the program used, and look for a way to break that type of encryption. Sorry I can't say a specific program for sure.

Hybrid_theory, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows

Windows XP file encryption

well there is encryption algorithms such as md5, rsa, etc.

Hybrid_theory, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Reduce offline files cache size

Hi ZigZag, thanks for the reply.

Actually it turns out I have misunderstood the concept of offline files - it actually
    does copy the files to the server, and the error simply indicates that it failed to copy the files back from the server into the offline cache. TIL...

My initial question (how to reduce the offline files cache) is now slightly different, since I would actually like to assign as much cache space as possible to one network storage, but keep a smaller limit on the other network storage. I have started a new
    thread with that question here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/managing-offline-files-cache-on-a-per-folder-basis/b4e03410-bc1f-436d-9252-c1ce562d0d11?tm=1466672260879

On another note, why is this not a consumer question? I would simply like to configure the offline files cache size on an end user's computer.

MartinWeber5615, Oct 27, 2019
  6. encrypted files

Hi Iman,

Error message 0x80071771 means that you need to restore the file encryption key in order for you to decrypt the encrypted files. On the other hand, you can still try these steps and see if it will work:

• Right-click the file or folder that you want to decrypt.
    • Click File ownership and click Personal.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows

1. Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows - Similar Threads - Encrypt Unencrypt Offline

2. After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive: I booted to an encrypted drive with my bitlocker Key, to recover a deleted file using recovery software. But, now I can't boot to my unencrypted drive. I tried turning off secure boot, no go. I just get a black screen and a white cursor. I tried removing the encrypted drive,...
  3. After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive: I booted to an encrypted drive with my bitlocker Key, to recover a deleted file using recovery software. But, now I can't boot to my unencrypted drive. I tried turning off secure boot, no go. I just get a black screen and a white cursor. I tried removing the encrypted drive,...
  4. Client-Side Caching / Windows Offline Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Client-Side Caching / Windows Offline Files: Hi, I would like to confirm whether if we delete the "Offline file" in the client-side folder, the original source file will be deleted as well. Also, what happens after we disable the "Offline File" feature? Will changes made to the "offline file" affect the original source...
  5. Client-Side Caching / Windows Offline Files

Client-Side Caching / Windows Offline Files: Hi, I would like to confirm whether if we delete the "Offline file" in the client-side folder, the original source file will be deleted as well. Also, what happens after we disable the "Offline File" feature? Will changes made to the "offline file" affect the original source...
  6. Unencrypt a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unencrypt a file: Encrypted a file using Windows 11 Pro EFS Properties > Advanced > Encrypt contents to secure data. Where the file used to be in the folder is a file named EncryptionCertificate.pfx. I expect the file to have the same name and just prompt for a password when I tried to open...
  7. Unencrypt a file

Unencrypt a file: Encrypted a file using Windows 11 Pro EFS Properties > Advanced > Encrypt contents to secure data. Where the file used to be in the folder is a file named EncryptionCertificate.pfx. I expect the file to have the same name and just prompt for a password when I tried to open...
  8. Can't copy files to USB drive because of encryption on unencrypted usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't copy files to USB drive because of encryption on unencrypted usb drive: Hi @ all,i set up a new device with a barely configured intune tenant.Now i wanted to copy some files from this client to an usb drive but win10 always tells me it's encrypted while it is not.This prevents me from copying files.Win10 version is 20h2.Someone already heard of...
  9. Offline Files cache question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Offline Files cache question: I have a NAS and tested Offline Files feature. I enabled some folders to be "Always available offline" and I faced into an issue: - When I copying from folder, the speed is good, because files are already cached. - When I copying to folder, the speed is limited to Ethernet...
  10. Does sync center automatically cache offline files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does sync center automatically cache offline files?: I logged into a computer I use on occasion to watch movies. It is connected to the TV but also handle a small home video surveillance (Blue Iris). I noticed a message from the sync center that I had run out of cache space. It listed 3 movies as filling up the cache. I have...