Windows 10: Audio Driver Seems To Cause Video Playback Problems

Discus and support Audio Driver Seems To Cause Video Playback Problems in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hey, since today i started having issues with videos not playing correctly. VLC: whenever i start a video, there is a delay for a few seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gbtg, Feb 4, 2018.

1. gbtg Win User

Audio Driver Seems To Cause Video Playback Problems

hey,

since today i started having issues with videos not playing correctly.

VLC: whenever i start a video, there is a delay for a few seconds where i only see the first frame of the video, after that audio crackles, then it plays normally.

twitch.tv via firefox: streams run at <0.1 frames per second. no audio. will not fix itself. if i open VLC and play a video, suddenly the stream works fine, even after closing VLC.

twitch.tv via chrome canary: stream is frozen for a few seconds in the beginning, then runs fine.

Youtube in firefox: video does not play right away, although the loading bar is far ahead. then audio crackling, then video runs. if i skip ahead or back, freezes happen and audio crackles.

my specs: motherboard Z170A GAMING M5, nvidia geforce gtx 1060, 16gb ram, windows 10

no hardware changes or driver updates prior to the problem occurring.

after the issues started, i updated all kinds of drivers. i narrowed it down to an audio driver issue, because the problem did not occur when using an old USB headset instead of my usual headset that is connected to the onboard sound. tried different realtek drivers, all of them had the same issue. completely uninstalling realtek drivers and letting windows install its default drivers fixes the issue BUT comes with the problem that my mic is extremely low. also it picks up lots of static which was not that much of a problem with the realtek drivers and nahimic (a piece of shit software that MSI basically forces you to use) installed. with those installed, my mic worked okish, was loud enough and did not pick up much static.

seems like i am atm stuck between having a terrible microphone or having major issues with all kinds of videos not playing correctly.

does anyone have any idea what i could try to fix the issue? tried 2 different realtek drivers so far, they all had the same issue.

:)

gbtg, Feb 4, 2018

2. Online videos out of sync

For me the issue started after installing the Fall Creators Update on my Surface Pro 2017.

It happens when streaming web videos with Edge and other browsers from YouTube and other video sites. The longer the video, the worse the problem.

It seems video playback in the FCU is implemented very poorly, audio works fine, but video falls behind during playback, getting progressively out of sync with the audio. Looks like a performance issue.

Even the volume adjustment overlay from the volume buttons of the Surface Pro slows video playback down, while audio works fine. Maximizing the video to full screen during playback also seems to cause video playback to fall behind more.

You can actually see the video freezing either completely, or on certain areas, for fractions of a second, while the audio continues to work fine the entire time, and after the freeze the video becomes
    even more out of sync with the audio.

My internet connection is very good, 100 Mbit up and down, so it's not that. The videos are not buffering so the internet connection it's fine.

I'm guessing Windows introduced an issue somewhere between the video codec and video card driver. Further guessing, probably caused by the new video playback settings that are inexplicably under the "Apps" section. Or maybe the settings for Gaming. Like
    the Game DVR stuff.

Whatever it is, it's very annoying.

Looking at the falling quality of Windows 10 in the last few years, does Microsoft even have any testers left, or is everyone at Microsoft already using Macs and doesn't care about Windows users?

Vlad Nicolici, Feb 4, 2018
  3. video playback

After installing Windows 10, I have problems with video playback . The audio seems to be fine. what can I do to resolve the problem?

juan mdiaz, Feb 4, 2018
  4. gbtg Win User

update: decided on buying an external sound card (asus xonar u5).
    strangely, the same thing happens here: if i let windows install its driver, it works fine. if i install the drivers provided by asus, the issues start all over: sound crackles/is distorted, videos on all kinds of players have either very low fps and no sound (twitch) or start out lagging/freezing/distorted (vlc).

gbtg, Feb 9, 2018
  5. fireberd Win User
    I wonder if its something else that is really the problem. Sound is always on a shared IRQ (Interrupt) with a higher priority device. Popping/crackling etc used to be a common problem.

Download and run the free Resplendence Latency Mon program and see what it tells you. I have a recording studio and those of us in the computer recording industry rely on this program as very good helper.
    Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks

fireberd, Feb 9, 2018
  6. gbtg Win User
    thanks for the tip. i actually already checked latencymon. it reported that everything was fine and every bar stayed in green, even when the problem occurred. can not remember the highest execution times or whatever its called. could install the driver again and double check. what would be considered high?

gbtg, Feb 9, 2018
  7. fireberd Win User
    High is relative to the system. How long did you let it run. I had a problem on a laptop but it only showed up after letting latency mon run for 20 minutes.

This is what my system looks like, this morning.

Audio Driver Seems To Cause Video Playback Problems [​IMG]

fireberd, Feb 9, 2018
  8. gbtg Win User

Audio Driver Seems To Cause Video Playback Problems [​IMG]

this is with the default windows driver for my usb soundcard (which does not cause any issues) with a stream in firefox running.
    i disabled the motherboards onboard sound via bios.

i will now install the driver for the soundcard (which will cause all aforementioned issues) and let latencymon run again and post results. anyways, the high ISR count does not look good?

edit:
    just tested it with the drivers installed. then uninstalled the drivers again. unfortunately i forgot to take a screenshot, but the results were exactly the same. even had videos running. issues happened, latencymon did not show any increase in ISR or DPC latency when the issues occurred. those ISR counts worry me though.

gbtg, Feb 9, 2018
  9. fireberd Win User
    Out of curiosity, are you connecting to the internet via Wi-Fi? Wi-Fi is a one known cause of popping/crackling sound problems.

I can't say what the cause is, in your system, but if the hardware drivers cause problems there is another reason and not really the hardware sound drivers.

fireberd, Feb 10, 2018
  10. I was getting that playback problem with my system, it seems that the PC was having difficulty switching in and out of HD Sound..in the end, I uninstalled all audio drivers completely and re-installed Realtek from my original mobo install-disk.. all seems fine now..

- just a thought..*Nerd

BugMeister, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Audio Driver Seems To Cause Video Playback Problems - Similar Threads - Audio Driver Seems

2. Headphones Cause Video and Audio Playback to Stop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones Cause Video and Audio Playback to Stop: Hello,After watching video without headphones, the addition of headphones causes video and audio playback to stop. Thenceforth, the only way to play the video again is to restart the system. What could be the problem?...
  3. Headphones Cause Video and Audio Playback to Stop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones Cause Video and Audio Playback to Stop: Hello,After watching video without headphones, the addition of headphones causes video and audio playback to stop. Thenceforth, the only way to play the video again is to restart the system. What could be the problem?...
  4. Headphones Cause Video and Audio Playback to Stop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Glitched audio driver causing media playback speed to be faster.

Glitched audio driver causing media playback speed to be faster.: I recently downloaded a software called sonarworks Sound ID which basically changes the audio of your device to fit to your taste and headphones. This worked fine on my laptop but when I did a normal factory reset, the app did not work properly anymore. Now whenever I play...
  6. Video Playback Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Video Playback Problem: Videos on my computer have started to just freeze not buffer but just stop and I know it is not an internet connection problem because I can google stuff and even make this post Is there any way I can fix this. submitted by /u/Beanz_B0i [link] [comments]...
  7. No audio or video playback.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No audio or video playback.: My laptop has Windows 10 home. The audio and video is not working. Widows updates are current. I have run the windows troubleshooter and laptop diagnostics but to no avail. Please can someone advise if this is a windows issue and how I can fix it? Many thanks...
  8. Video Playback & Audio Problems

Video Playback & Audio Problems: Whenever I try to watch videos on youtube, my laptop won't play them and just keep loading. Every time I try, the audio function stops working and then the video will play. I have ran the troubleshoot for the audio and it says it's fixed but then the video won't play again....
  9. Problems with audio in music and video playback using headphones

Problems with audio in music and video playback using headphones: I can play audio perfectly fine with speakers, Bluetooth or earphones. But whenever I'm using a pair of manually-connected headphones, regardless of what pair being used, there's an audio problem. In a music or video, the music plays fine. But if someone's speaking or...
  10. Video Playback Problem

in Browsers and Email
    Video Playback Problem: I'm getting an error message quite frequently when I try to play a video on almost any website, such as YouTube The message reads: An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID:_VBAMBUYe5vqHN9kc6C). My Internet connection seems OK. I tried Googling the ID but...