Windows 10: Audio dropouts apparently related to ataport.sys

Discus and support Audio dropouts apparently related to ataport.sys in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have recently been experiencing problems such as audio dropouts and freezes of the ASIO transport. Latencymon has flagged ataport.sys (which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ricecrispies, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Audio dropouts apparently related to ataport.sys

I have recently been experiencing problems such as audio dropouts and freezes of the ASIO transport. Latencymon has flagged ataport.sys (which Latencymon says is the "ATAPI driver extension") as having excessive DPC routine execution time. However I am confused because I thought that ATAPI was used for things such as optical drives, and I don't have any optical drives on this machine. All I have plugged into it are a hard disk, graphics card, on-board sound, on-board ethernet (no wifi), USB audio interface, some USB MIDI controllers and and a USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

I used not to have this problem, and I'm having trouble working out what has changed, if anything.

One thing I have been wondering is whether it matters which of the SATA sockets on the motherboard the hard disk is plugged into. I'm wondering whether I plugged it into the wrong one by mistake, because I seem to remember that it did matter which socket you used back in the days of PATA. Is there a way to test whether it is in the right socket (assuming that this is indeed an issue) without opening up the machine?—my machine is in a difficult-to-access location behind loads of other gear and it's backbreaking trying to open it up and fiddle around inside it to test things, so it's something I try to avoid if it's not strictly necessary.

EDIT: I've just had another major dropout in audio playback while latencymon was running, and this time usbport.sys appears to have been to blame. This still leaves the question of why I am having problems of this kind now, when I didn't have them before.

:)

ricecrispies, Jan 11, 2018

2. N95 8GB Sound Playbback Issues

Hi all, I recently upgraded from the standard n95 to the n95 8GB.

I now find when I listen to music, either MP3's on the phone or via Internet Radio, any other activity on the phone will cause glitches, short dropouts in audio. On my first N95 the audio was rock solid with no dropouts, now even the screen light coming on
    or going off causes a dropout.

Anyone having the same issue?

Cheers

Colin

clowe---01, Jan 11, 2018
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    usb audio dropouts

Hi Frank,

The concern you have encountered may be due to a corrupted file or a misconfigured setting.

In this case, we suggest to update the driver of your sound card. Generally speaking, updated drivers deliver better functionality and improved performance. For the most part, you certainly want to upgrade your drivers unless you have a very specific reason
    for not wanting to do so. To perform the task, simply follow the steps provided by
    Andre Da Costa on this
    link

For any other concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Jan 11, 2018
  4. tchagas Win User

Audio dropouts apparently related to ataport.sys

Have you installed all the drivers on your card, which system you have installed, in Device Manager shows some missing driver?

tchagas, Jan 13, 2018
  5. Yes, all the drivers are up to date. I did have the graphics card driver that was automatically installed with Windows 10. I have now installed a driver direct from Nvidia, but it has made no difference.

I have swapped the audio interface from a USB2 slot to USB3. I am no longer getting problems related to usbport.sys, but I am getting terrible delays related to DirectX and the ntoskrnl.sys.

I'm wondering whether the recently released fix for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities might have something to do with it. I can't think what else has changed about my system that might have caused this drop in performance.

ricecrispies, Jan 14, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    As Fireberd and I observed on this thread: Could audio latency problem be due to Meltdown and Spectre fixes? - Windows 10 Forums, our fully-patched systems have shown no such behaviors. He's a current working sound professional, and I'm a former studio engineer, so we're both pretty sensitive to such things. It's possible that your system has experienced added latency because of these patches/updates, but we represent two other users who've not noticed this happening on our systems. I'm thinking it might be something else?
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Audio dropouts apparently related to ataport.sys

1. Audio dropouts apparently related to ataport.sys - Similar Threads - Audio dropouts apparently

2. High DPC latency causing full audio dropouts on my audio interface

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High DPC latency causing full audio dropouts on my audio interface: I have been troubleshooting since December, I've uninstalled and reinstalled so many drivers, I've reinstalled Windows. I've updated my Bios, I've checked all my power settings, I've unplugged old drives. I am fully at a loss on where to take this next, so I beseech thee here...
  3. High DPC latency causing full audio dropouts on my audio interface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High DPC latency causing full audio dropouts on my audio interface: I have been troubleshooting since December, I've uninstalled and reinstalled so many drivers, I've reinstalled Windows. I've updated my Bios, I've checked all my power settings, I've unplugged old drives. I am fully at a loss on where to take this next, so I beseech thee here...
  4. High DPC latency causing full audio dropouts on my audio interface

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. BSOD Crashes Relating to dxgmms2.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Crashes Relating to dxgmms2.sys: Hi,I've been experiencing intermittent BSOD crashes in Windows 10. The most recent one had a message relating to dxgmms2.sys, and previous crashes seem to implicate a driver/drivers being the cause of these crashes. I have run memory tests and found nothing wrong with the...
  6. Getting DCP_Watchdog_violation errors related to Netwt04.sys

Getting DCP_Watchdog_violation errors related to Netwt04.sys: I recently had to perform a fresh install of windows but have been experiencing a series of BSODs after a BIOS and Windows update ( version 19042.928 for 64 bit). Using WinDbd preview, I see from my mini dump files that most of them are related to the Netwt04.sys driver. I...
  7. how to fix audio dropouts in a daw

how to fix audio dropouts in a daw: how to fix audio dropouts in a daw https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-audio-dropouts-in-a-daw/60b57711-c73c-4772-bdce-7cec4e313272
  8. Audio dropouts up through Dell D6000 Docking Station

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio dropouts up through Dell D6000 Docking Station: Running Win10, Dell laptop Latitude E6430. i& Connected to Dell D6000 docking station with external speakers plugged into the headphone jack on the docking station. When playing any audio, it has occasional dropouts, usually for about a second or two, all day long. If I...
  9. Internet Dropouts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Dropouts: For the last several months, I've been suffering internet dropouts on my PC. They are generally only for 5 to 10 seconds, although, the odd one lasts for over a minute. Some days there only a dozen or so dropouts, other days there can be hundreds. I have been using Net...
  10. Frequent dxgmms2.sys related BSOD's

Frequent dxgmms2.sys related BSOD's: Since the last windows update I get frequent crashes with the above source referenced. My Nvidia graphic driver is overwritten by a seemingly unstable one by windows update. My only resolution to cure the problem is to roll back to an older version, whereby I can play...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ataport.sys audio issues