Windows 10: Audio sources default / startup volume

Discus and support Audio sources default / startup volume in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is there a way to set the audio sources default / startup volumes? Some of my audio sources come up with their level set to my output device's level,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tjsepka, Aug 31, 2017.

1. tjsepka Win User

Audio sources default / startup volume

Is there a way to set the audio sources default / startup volumes? Some of my audio sources come up with their level set to my output device's level, rather than a value that I would prefer to be able to set.

It appears the root cause for the levels doing is a Windows fault (so I'm probably looking for a work-around):

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_Audiosrv, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x02799ef5
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0xa329d3a8
    Exception code: 0xc000000d
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000105a50
    Faulting process id: 0x39f4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3233a6cf0841e
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: c415a726-5e8d-4316-8057-aeb606b6a5cd
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm running Windows 10 version 1703 OS build 15063.540, and all of my audio drivers are up to date.

:)

tjsepka, Aug 31, 2017

2. Cortana's volume is too loud

Thanks! One of these days I might get around to looking into the command line options. I'd like to have the volume preset rather than have to adjust it if it returns to it's (undesired) default. I have that issue with other audio sources, too. Some
    settings seem to "stick" but others sometimes go back to their default.

Tom of Crystal Lake Illinois, Aug 31, 2017
  3. Low recording sound in Windows 10

I have upgraded to Windows 10 a day before and I just found out that my recording sound on my laptop is extremely small. I checked default recording device and sound drivers and nothing seemed wrong. when I went to Recording sound> Microphone> Listen and
    selected "Listen to the device", the sound played back to me was perfectly loud and clear. However my friends on skype still can't hear my voice or can only hear very small volume of my voice. The problem also applies to all other recording apps. The volume
    bar in sound penal> playback flows when sound is playing, but the volume bar in Recording doesn't flow at all when I speak to the mic. Please help. I'm a heavy skype user and not being able to use it is driving me crazy.

This is the result of troubleshooting

Playing Audio

L: Publisher details

Issues found

L: Low audio device volume

Low audio device volume
    Audio device volume might be too low to hear.

Detected

Increase the audio device volume

Completed

Potential issues that were checked

L: Check audio device

Check audio device
    There might be a problem with your audio device.

Issue not present

L: One or more audio service isn't running

One or more audio service isn't running
    Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't running.

Issue not present

L: Audio device is disabled

Audio device is disabled
    The audio device you selected is currently turned off in Windows.

Issue not present

L: Audio device muted

Audio device muted
    Audio can't play if the device is muted.

Issue not present

L: Audio device isn't set as default

Audio device isn't set as default
    The default audio device is usually used to play or record sounds on your computer.

Issue not present

L: The speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged

The speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged
    An audio device must be plugged in to play or record sound.

Issue not present

Issues found

L: Detection details

Low audio device volume

Detected

Audio device volume might be too low to hear.

Volume level

Level of volume used for audio playback.

Volume:
    20%

Increase the audio device volume

Completed

To increase the volume, move the volume slider in the Volume Mixer.

Volume level

Adjusted level of volume used for audio playback.

Modified volume:
    20%

Potential issues that were checked

L: Detection details

Check audio device

Issue not present

There might be a problem with your audio device.

One or more audio service isn't running

Issue not present

Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't running.

Audio device is disabled

Issue not present

The audio device you selected is currently turned off in Windows.

Device state

State information about the audio device.

State:
    Enabled

Status code:

Help link:
    DEVICE_STATE_XXX Constants

Audio device muted

Issue not present

Audio can't play if the device is muted.

Audio device isn't set as default

Issue not present

The default audio device is usually used to play or record sounds on your computer.

The speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged

Issue not present

An audio device must be plugged in to play or record sound.

Detection details

Ottoneedshelp, Aug 31, 2017
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Hi, tjsepka, could you provide a bit more clarity on your question or issue? On surface it seems cut and dry, but without some pertinent information it's somewhat confusing.

What soundcard are you using?
    What applications are causing you issues?
    What application brings up the fault code? When? How?

sygnus21, Aug 31, 2017
  5. tjsepka Win User
    The audio is integrated on my Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboard and is listed as Realtek ALC 892 8-channel high definition audio CODEC. The problem occurs randomly, but I think I sometimes see a correlation with opening a new browser tab. I run both Firefox and Chrome concurrently, and both are up-to-date. The last time it seemed to have occurred with opening a new tab in Firefox, but as I said, it often happens randomly. Event viewer is not logging any Firefox or Chrome errors.

From the crash information I posted above, it appears that it is a Windows fault rather than an application as suggested by the error fault information, which is why I'm looking for a possible work around. Event viewer show the earliest error occurred on 4/14/2017 and was uploaded via error reporting to Microsoft. I was hoping to find a way to keep the affected input channels from coming back on to the (loud!) speaker level I use for other other audio input sources. The volume mixer's channels come back on to the speaker level setting, not to the top end of the channel's volume slider. Not all slider volumes are affected when this happens. The line in channel always does it, but system sounds and email (Thunderbird) channels are usually not affected.

tjsepka, Aug 31, 2017
  6. tjsepka Win User
    I went in search of updated drivers, even though Windows said I had best ones installed. I found and installed Realtek driver version 6.0.1.8186 dated 6/14/2017 three days ago. So far it hasn't crashed, but it still would be nice to find a way to set the default volumes without resorting to SoundVolumeView from NirSoft. If you're not aware, SoundVolumeView is a nifty tool that gives significant insight into many aspects of Windows audio.

tjsepka, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Audio sources default / startup volume - Similar Threads - Audio sources default

2. Windows 11 audio volume slider ignore default audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 audio volume slider ignore default audio device: Hi,I am using Windows 11 with 2 audio sources, switching between the two daily Speakers and Headphones. Today I noticed that I can't change the volume of anything that is not my speakers via the volume control.To be precise I can't control my headphone's volume using the...
  3. Windows doesn't follow my default audio source

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows doesn't follow my default audio source: I just updated to Windows 11 and it is now causing a severe audio problem. I have two audio sources connected to my computer:1. A Steelseries Arctis Pro headest2. A Scarlett Focusrite USB DAC for my speakersSo here's the problem, as soon as I updated to Windows 11, it...
  4. Windows doesn't follow my default audio source

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows doesn't follow my default audio source: I just updated to Windows 11 and it is now causing a severe audio problem. I have two audio sources connected to my computer:1. A Steelseries Arctis Pro headest2. A Scarlett Focusrite USB DAC for my speakersSo here's the problem, as soon as I updated to Windows 11, it...
  5. Computer keeps changing volume/audio sources when alt tabbing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer keeps changing volume/audio sources when alt tabbing: It's been going on for a while now. whenever I switch to a different application, my audio will either lower/grow or change audio sources or whatever it is. I believe it is audio sources because i compared it and it seems that the audio is the same as when i alt tab as when i...
  6. Computer keeps changing volume/audio sources when alt tabbing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer keeps changing volume/audio sources when alt tabbing: It's been going on for a while now. whenever I switch to a different application, my audio will either lower/grow or change audio sources or whatever it is. I believe it is audio sources because i compared it and it seems that the audio is the same as when i alt tab as when i...
  7. Computer keeps changing volume/audio sources when alt tabbing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Set default volume at Windows startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Set default volume at Windows startup: Last week i was searching for a way to set a specific volume on windows startup. I have literally been googling this for years but never found the answer Well... now i made my own little "Program" and i hope it's oke to share this here so others can find the answer to this...
  9. Audio source panel appears with volume control

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audio source panel appears with volume control: This wasn't a problem until today, so I must have accidentally pressed something. I'd like to know how to fix it, though. When I use the audio controls on my keyboard, along with the usual UI on the left, this large box appears with where my audio is playing. And I reaaally...
  10. Volume Mixer - audio sources and auto size width

in Windows 10 Support
    Volume Mixer - audio sources and auto size width: Volume Mixer window is always defaulted to showing four sliders but there is always several more to the right in the window, forcing you to routinely scroll it to the side to get eyes on them. How come there is no (obvious) way to make the window width auto resize when it...