Windows 10: Audio works for Windows sounds but not for any application

Discus and support Audio works for Windows sounds but not for any application in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there Never had this error before -- Audio works perfectly for Windows sounds etc - but no sound for ANY application (VLC / Winamp etc etc). Only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Mar 16, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Audio works for Windows sounds but not for any application

Hi there

Never had this error before -- Audio works perfectly for Windows sounds etc - but no sound for ANY application (VLC / Winamp etc etc). Only happened today -- I haven't done anything to the system.

Build 9926.

Settings are correct for applications etc, drivers are OK too. Haven't a CLUE how to fix this one --- in all my years of computing I've never seen an error like this before -- Sound either works or it doesn't. On the applications Sound levels are showing sound is working but stony silence from the speakers. Same with Headphone -- no sound at all from APPS, Windows events are fine !!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 16, 2015

2. no audio in the film and tv app provided with windows 10

Hi Bhavye, same to me.

Have Bose Mini soundbar with Bluetooth connected. The sound work well with VLC Videoplayern and iTunes and Windows Sound. But not with the Programm "Filme & Fernsehsendungen" (engl. Movies and TV) (task: Video.UI.exe).

In the Audio-Mixer-Applications I see Firefox, Systemsounds, iTunes - but no "Movies and TV". The Videofile is correct and will work with VLC (audio and video), but in the Windows 10 application only the video - without audio.

The Troubleshooting did not help. No problems found.

Some video files work. Some not. Can DTS be a problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks Michael

Michae lFees, Mar 16, 2015
  3. Markp1193 Win User
    Losing sound Win 10 x64

Hi Rakesh,

I need further assistance with this problem, method 1 won't work because I don't have any sound devices attached to speakers, the sound device used is the monitor PL2888UH speakers via displayport and
    this is set as default in sound.

I've also followed all the guides including turning off Audio Enhancements and uninstalled the AMD High Definition Audio Device and installed
    the generic High Definition Audio Device and set this as default in sound as in method 2.

The problem still persists, the sound works for an unspecified amount of time then drops off, I haven't worked out what triggers the sound to go off but I have noticed the sound drops off quite often
    when the computer isn't being used and the screen turns off, when I move the mouse to turn the screen back on the sound has often gone even though all the settings are the same.

The only difference is when I right click on PL2888UH in sound and click test, when the sound is working it will play the "beeping" through both speakers, when the sound has gone off I receive an error message saying "The device is being used by another
    application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and try again."

I've Google searched the problem "The device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and try again." and can't find a fix that works but this problem does have several posts around the internet.

What is causing Windows 10 to think that the device is being used by another application? This error still appears even when there is no applications running that use audio.

Markp1193, Mar 16, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

You could try uninstalling your audio devices from device manager and then check for new hardware.

adamf, Mar 16, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

tried that first -- no go same problem.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 16, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    Reset your device to default and see if that works

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

absolutely NOTHING.

I re-installed an image I had of build 9879 and then did an UPDATE to 9926 which fixed it --I should have taken an image of 9926 --shows what happens when you for once DON'T have a recent backup.

Anyway all working again --never did fibd out what was wrong though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 16, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Strange,, I have had no issues with the audio on 9926. The only thing I did was to install audio drivers to enhance the sound but it works just fine without them,.

BunnyJ, Mar 16, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

EASIER -- just roll back the diver -- there's obviously something wrong with the VIA HD audio drivers. The Ms ones work just fine. Easier doing that than re-installing W8.1 again and doing a windows update !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Audio works for Windows sounds but not for any application - Similar Threads - Audio works sounds

2. Audio sound is not working in this windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio sound is not working in this windows: audio sound issues in the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-sound-is-not-working-in-this-windows/a0f703c8-7348-49ee-82e0-f71e7afbb0b8
  3. Audio sound is not working in this windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio sound is not working in this windows: audio sound issues in the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-sound-is-not-working-in-this-windows/a0f703c8-7348-49ee-82e0-f71e7afbb0b8
  4. Sound does not work in any video-viewing application on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound does not work in any video-viewing application on Windows 11: I have tried VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, Movies & TV, and Quicktime on my PC with Windows 11 but none of them have working sound, and I am trying to watch a video. How do I make the sound work again? I have already done troubleshooting, deleted and re-installed...
  5. Sound does not work in any video-viewing application on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound does not work in any video-viewing application on Windows 11: I have tried VLC Media Player, Windows Media Player, Movies & TV, and Quicktime on my PC with Windows 11 but none of them have working sound, and I am trying to watch a video. How do I make the sound work again? I have already done troubleshooting, deleted and re-installed...
  6. Microphone not working in any application but shows detecting sound in windows settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone not working in any application but shows detecting sound in windows settings: I was attending a meeting via zoom. I unmuted myself, spoke and then muted back. After that when I again unmuted myself, started speaking but no one could hear me icon showed that I was unmuted. I later checked in google meet settings. In there, it does not show any option to...
  7. Windows is detecting audio but not producing any sound

Windows is detecting audio but not producing any sound: After connecting a bluetooth speaker to my pc my headphones suddenly stopped working. When I go to playback devices its shows the green audio levels going up and down when sound is playing but I can't hear anything through my headphones. I've checked my drivers and...
  8. System Sounds or any other applications sounds not working

System Sounds or any other applications sounds not working: While upgrading from windows 7 32bit to windows 10 32bit, the upgrade went off with out an issue. However, when the user was attempting to play audio from PC nothing would play. I checked the device manager and there where no audio drivers so I went ahead and installed the...
  9. Sound/Audio not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound/Audio not working: 1. Sound is not working 2. Volume Slider will only let me use it once every few minutes, then it wouldn't respond Same thing happens with volume mixer 3. Sound Settings either: Won't open, freezes when opened, or won't respond 4. Troubleshooting doesn't detect any...
  10. Sound Not Allowing 1 Application Audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound Not Allowing 1 Application Audio: Hey, Yesterday, i was just having a go on my new game, X-Plane 11, and out if nowhere the sound has gone. I went to check the sound permissions and it dosent seem to be allowing the game sound. The sound icon for the game, and its this game only, is strobing on and off. I...