Windows 10: Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD

Discus and support Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm helping out a friend with an older AMD quad core Dell XPS 625 running Windows 10 Home 1803. The original Seagate 1 TB drive was failing with some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by n2ubp, Aug 5, 2018.

1. n2ubp Win User

Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD

I'm helping out a friend with an older AMD quad core Dell XPS 625 running Windows 10 Home 1803. The original Seagate 1 TB drive was failing with some bad sectors. I used Acronis 2017 to back up to an external USB drive. I installed a new 1 TB WD SSD drive and restored the partitions. I rebooted and everything seems to be working as designed. Just in case I ran chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow and everything looks good. I did notice that Windows had enabled the weekly auto defrag process for the SSD and I turned it off. I then checked my own tower running Windows 10 Pro 1803 with a Crucial SSD and it also had weekly auto defrag enabled and I turned it off. I know I had disabled auto defrag when I first upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Pro. Why is 1803 enabling auto defrag on SSD's? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Steve
    73 de

:)

n2ubp, Aug 5, 2018
  2. oily_17 Win User

Would defragging an SSD make a difference?

Well this is a quote from OCZ forum on their SSD's

And a quote from another source on SSD's, which can explain SSD performance loss, which is actually due to defraging.

oily_17, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Defrag

Defragging SSD and Flash drives will wear them out faster. I do not suggest doing this. Defrag mechanical HDD's only

Spidey1976, Aug 5, 2018
  4. SarahKong Win User

Stop windows from defragmenting my SSD!!!

Hi Bob I get this all the time when I teach the Windows 10 course and I will tell you what I tell my students.

Yes, Windows does put all your drives even if they are SSD in the Weekly defrag schedule.

However, Windows will NOT defrag an SSD weekly, at the most it does this once a month. And you are right that SSD drives don't get fragmented as often but they still can get fragmented. So the defrag utility will first check to see if if requires a defrag before
    defraging. It actually does that on all types of drives.

And for SSD drives it doesn't do the same "traditional defrag" as with HDD drives.

It actually uses a TRIM feature to defrag SSD drives.

So you don't need to disable it all. I have a laptop that has a SSD drive and it has been running Windows 10 for 2 years with defrag enabled it is absolutely fine.

I hope this helps. Take care.

SarahKong, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD - Similar Threads - Auto defrag enabled

2. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  3. Should I defragment on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I defragment on SSD drive: Will defragmenting shorten ssd service life? Should I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-i-defragment-on-ssd-drive/a42de2e2-2b7c-40af-98ae-a3ba3f0ef83b
  4. Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue: [ATTACH] Hello all, I'm not up to date on the current things of PC's. I use to build them way back when a 100MB drive was $100 USD if that tells you anything, LOL! Anyway, I cloned a Seagate BarraCuda HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD a few years ago and it has made it to...
  5. Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom hard drive after SSD replacement: Before physically removing the hard drive from my laptop, I cloned it to a new SSD drive using Macrium Reflect and installed the SSD drive in the laptop. When I check my drives using Disk Management or AOMEI Partition Assistant, Disk 0 using Disk Management or Disk 1 using...
  6. CHKDSK and Defragment Error on SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHKDSK and Defragment Error on SSD drive: Hello, I'm using an SSD as primary drive in my system, windows 10 is installed in that. 2-3 days before, an electric power cut occured two times, while the system is operating. I have one HDD for storage, one for running another OS. as dual boot Two days before, while...
  7. Windows 10 Auto DEFRAG my SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Auto DEFRAG my SSD: Hi There I got a new SSD (Samsung 860 evo 500 gb) and I know that defragging an SSD is the worst thing to do.... I opened Samsung Magician and I clicked on optimize , it opened the windows defragger window. ( I DID NOT RUN IT ) I noticed that , IT HAD AUTOMATIC...
  8. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  9. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  10. Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD: I'm helping out a friend with an older AMD quad core Dell XPS 625 running Windows 10 Home 1803. The original Seagate 1 TB drive was failing with some bad sectors. I used Acronis 2017 to back up to an external USB drive. I installed a new 1 TB WD SSD drive and restored the...