Windows 10: Auto Download On Metered Connection

Discus and support Auto Download On Metered Connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have recently to FCU. Now even in metered wifi connection, while checking for update, it automatically downloads and hangs. See pic below. What to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lvgandhi, Nov 19, 2017.

1. lvgandhi Win User

Auto Download On Metered Connection

I have recently to FCU.
    Now even in metered wifi connection, while checking for update, it automatically downloads and hangs.
    See pic below. What to do to avoid this?

Auto Download On Metered Connection [​IMG]

:)

lvgandhi, Nov 19, 2017

2. Downloading Windows 10 updates on a Limited data Plan

Your best option is to enable your connection as Metered then toggle off metered at 12 AM. How to Limit Windows 10 Data Use Over a Metered Connection There is no way to auto-schedule it and Active Hours will not help, since it still downloads updates
    but not install them right away.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 19, 2017
  3. JoeNamco Win User
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you have this option to control bandwidth in that build:
    Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials

Setting connections to metered is clearly stated as not guaranteeing you will never get updates.

You could take your laptop to somewhere else with a better connection.

Of course you could also disable updates.

If you have Pro you have more options to set updates to Notify you before downloading, and to delay updates.

Note that Windows update is the normal means of updating Defender.
    There are other updates too- checks for universal app updates every 4 hours; background data updates for some apps.

And of course some 3rd party programs may update, including AV's.

dalchina, Nov 19, 2017
  5. lvgandhi Win User
    Is there any way to disable download updates while checking for updates?
    It did not show downloading until I started check updates.

lvgandhi, Nov 19, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    This is intended behaviour, first introduced in 1703...

Auto Download On Metered Connection [​IMG]

...but not seen working as intended until 1709.

Yes, that was always the problem. In fact, this bug first appeared in 1607. The workaround for the 'hang' is to temporarily turn off metered connections. The download will then continue to completion.

I had thought this problem to be fully resolved, it appears from your example that 'updates for other Microsoft products' may still be causing problems.

Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

7. dalchina New Member
    If you have Win 10 Pro you can set updates to Notify only.

dalchina, Nov 19, 2017
  8. lvgandhi Win User

Thanks for the clarification.

lvgandhi, Nov 20, 2017
  9. lvgandhi Win User
    As in my sig, only home not pro.

lvgandhi, Nov 20, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    You're welcome. I haven't seen a 'hang' when it's just windows updates that are available, and as Office 2007 is now out of support you're unlikely to see any more Office updates. If you do and they hang, just remember to turn off metering for a while until they have downloaded. The update isn't broken if metering is on, it will pick up from where it had stopped if you turn metering off. That's what I had to do for every cumulative update until I got 1709.

Thema:

1. Auto Download On Metered Connection - Similar Threads - Auto Download Metered

2. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  3. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  4. Auto update Windows Defender definitions on metered connections

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Auto update Windows Defender definitions on metered connections: Windows Update packages are around 1GB so I used regedit to automatically set all internet connections as metered since I'm on a budget cellular plan but I want Windows Defender to download definition updates as soon as they're available regardless if I'm on a metered...
  5. W10 DOWNLOADING 4GB ON METERED CONNECTION!!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 DOWNLOADING 4GB ON METERED CONNECTION!!!!: Though I switched off "automatically download updates" this always happen!! Installation doesn't work properly a program is corrupted and every time installation starts the pc crashes... I DON'T HAVE TIME TO BABYSITTER THE PC!!! I DON'T WANT UPDATES DOWNLOADED WITHOUT ASKING...
  6. Metered connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection: Hello, I've been trying to set up a metered connection for half an hour and after awhile I got it working until it's expire date now the option is grayed out. Here's a screenshot:[ATTACH]...
  7. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: A while back I was having troubles downloading all the Windows 10 updates. Call tech support and bottom line they set my computer to a metered connection. That solved my problems. It worked. Me internet provider only supplies me with 10 mbps of download speed. Yesterday I...
  8. METERED CONNECTION

METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  9. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: I can't seem to change my WiFi settings to meteted connection on windows 10. I have gone through the steps on the microsoft site and when I get to manage know networks and I select any of my networks it's shows me either share, or forget, buh doesn't show me properties. How...
  10. AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.: I have read update problem under metered connection is solved in AU. I having 14393.105. Still in my metered wifi connection, it shows automatically "Downloading updates 0%" and hangs when I go to updates section of settings. 62879

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off windows updates windows 10