Windows 10: Auto start up

Discus and support Auto start up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is my 1st post so please be gentle *Confused. My computer knowledge is basic. I have networked / home grouped my laptop and home desktop. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Vikandgra, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Vikandgra Win User

Auto start up

This is my 1st post so please be gentle *Confused. My computer knowledge is basic.
    I have networked / home grouped my laptop and home desktop. The laptop runs Windows 8.1 and the desktop now runs Windows10 upgraded from Windows 7.
    Since the upgrade, every time I start up my laptop, the desktop also starts from the "off" position. This only happens from laptop to desktop and not in reverse. It is a wireless connection.
    If someone can help me please explain it in very basic terms and not assume I understand *Smile.
    Thanks Graham

:)

Vikandgra, Sep 27, 2015
  2. LionHeart1974, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Hacked auto script on start up

If i havent included information please ask i will provide any info /files requiered.. This person has crossed over all 3 platforms (Windows, android, IOS) I cant fix my android with out ADB and i am unable to install that, I. Have been looking for the
    intrusion point and they used a default windows acct to access my device.

Windows 10 ver. 1703 build 15063.729

they are using XML / vbs and some java. I have found massive directories of script (windows powershell) im talking gigs of files. Can someone help me to locate the start up file location. (Presume i dont have basic access to MMC) i have dissable H script
    thru registry but this only slowed them down not stopped the issue.

My main problem is, it is logging me into a “domain” making me a user and limiting my access i can circumvent this by removing my NIC

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage ]

No_control, Sep 27, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Auto start up

Hi Graham and welcome to Tenforums.

Let me get this straight:
    Your laptop is off.
    You've shutdown your desktop.
    You turn on your laptop, and it wakes up your desktop?

Please try turning off Fast Startup on the desktop (W10 system) and do a few shutdowns/startups (NOT restarts) to see if this helps.

W10 has a wifi sharing feature which is enabled by default. Try disabling that.

Do you have WOL (Wake On Lan) enabled in your desktop BIOS? You're not sending any Magic Packets from your laptop, are you?

simrick, Sep 27, 2015
  5. Vikandgra Win User
    Thanks for the reply ....
    I have turned off the fast startup as suggested but no luck there.
    Where do I find the Wi-Fi sharing feature? and as far as having the WOL feature enabled where and how do I find it to check?

Vikandgra, Sep 27, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    Hi Graham,
    So, this is a very strange bird indeed! *Smile

First I will suggest some reading, to help you understand a few things (please create a restore point before you go changing settings in your system, just in case!):

This post is one of mine where I delve into the security/privacy settings on W10. There's a lot here, so don't feel overwhelmed. What I'd like you to be familiar with are the following links pertaining specifically to wifi sense and internet sharing in W10:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-wind...security-risk/

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

http://www.geek.com/microsoft/window...-apps-1618036/

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-use...www.google.com

Since you have the computers networked, I want to address this side of it first. Since you now have Fast Startup turned off, we can be sure that power is removed from (just about) everything when you shutdown, because you will be truly shutdown and not in some hibernation state.

Once you've read through these and made any changes you require, check and see if the problem resolves. If not, let's move on.

Go to the properties of your wireless adapter and uncheck the box which says "Allow this device to wake the computer".
    Settings>Devices>Device Manager>Network Adapters
    Right-click your wireless adapter and select Properties.
    In the Power Management Tab, uncheck the box as shown below:

Auto start up [​IMG]

This will determine whether or not some sort of Magic Packet is being sent from your laptop to wake up the desktop.

If the problem is resolved at this point, we then know that this is the culprit. This would work in conjuction with the WOL feature I mentioned. (Although, if you don't know what this is, I doubt you are specifically using this feature. Then again, there may be something installed on the laptop which is doing this.)

Another thing I'd like you to try is this: Disable your wireless network adapter on the desktop, and then shutdown.
    Device Manager>right click wireless adapter>select Disable

With the desktop shutdown, turn on the laptop and see if the problem is resolved.

I can't give you specifics of your particular desktop, but in general, after having read the previous link I gave you from wikipedia on the WOL function, you should be able to google how to enter your specific BIOS, to check the settings. Here is another article which explains the concept. (Disregard the info on iOS and Linux.)

Let us know how it goes.

simrick, Sep 27, 2015
  7. Vikandgra Win User
    Thanks Simric for your patience ... sounds pretty involved so will have a go at it tomorrow (its nearly midnight here).
    I had a look at the bit about Magic Packets and it lost me after about 3 lines!!! When you first mentioned them I thought it was slang for a virus or something like that *Redface.
    Will let you know how I get on in the next day or so.
    Cheers

Graham

Vikandgra, Sep 27, 2015
  8. simrick Win User

Auto start up

No problem Graham, take your time. The main thing you need to know about Magic Packets is that they can be sent by programs to other computers to wake them up. That's why I want to rule out the possibility that your laptop is doing that. We may need a list of installed programs on the laptop, if we decide that's what's happening. That's all. Good night!

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Auto start up

1. Auto start up - Similar Threads - Auto start

2. Why Windows Camera Frame Server service auto start and auto disable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Windows Camera Frame Server service auto start and auto disable?: Hi,what is the possible cause the Windows Camera Frame Server service to auto start and auto disable?I look around the internet but unable to find the answer that i was looking for.looking for expertise help!!!!...
  3. Why Windows Camera Frame Server service auto start and auto disable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Windows Camera Frame Server service auto start and auto disable?: Hi,what is the possible cause the Windows Camera Frame Server service to auto start and auto disable?I look around the internet but unable to find the answer that i was looking for.looking for expertise help!!!!...
  4. Why Windows Camera Frame Server service auto start and auto disable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. [Windows 10] Start menu bar auto close randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [Windows 10] Start menu bar auto close randomly: My start menu just randomly close, so I can't hit Shutdown, Restart My record about the issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-bar-auto-close-randomly/2d2d9cde-77ba-45c9-9d67-f015b55976e8
  6. [Windows 10] Start menu bar auto close randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Windows 10] Start menu bar auto close randomly: My start menu just randomly close, so I can't hit Shutdown, Restart My record about the issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-bar-auto-close-randomly/2d2d9cde-77ba-45c9-9d67-f015b55976e8
  7. [Windows 10] Start menu bar auto close randomly

8. Auto type in password box when windows start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto type in password box when windows start: I have recently occurred this situation that whenever I turn my device on, in the password box character start to appear automatically and continuous....
  9. Auto type in password box when windows start

Auto type in password box when windows start: I have recently occurred this situation that whenever I turn my device on, in the password box character start to appear automatically and continuous....
  10. window 11 auto start after laptop lid open on a microsoft surface laptop 5 with windows home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window 11 auto start after laptop lid open on a microsoft surface laptop 5 with windows home: I just purchased this microsoft surface laptop 5 with windows home and would like for the laptop to turn on when i open the lid even if the laptop was shutdown prior. My lenovo does this and I really like this capability....