Windows 10: Auto-switching networks

Discus and support Auto-switching networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Setting up Windows 10 (1803) Dell laptop and wish to use personal hotspot over Bluetooth when away, but when back home Windows 10 automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dssds1, Aug 16, 2018.

1. dssds1 Win User

Auto-switching networks

Setting up Windows 10 (1803) Dell laptop and wish to use personal hotspot over Bluetooth when away, but when back home Windows 10 automatically connects up to use Wi-Fi.

The hotspot thing is done. i'm just trying to figure out how to auto connect to Wifi when in range and switch from personal hotspot automatically, and is connect from PHS "preferably all automatically"

At the moment i manually turn off disconnect from phone from Windows, but it won't auto connect to Wi-fi, even though the wifi properties has the box for "Connect automatically when in range" checked.

If i also go under the Wi-fi icon on system tray the "Connect automatically" remains unchecked as the *default state*, so i think this is the issue...

How can i automatically switch between networks?

Does the 'connect when in range" option under manage networks, only apply to other Wifi networks and personal hospot treated as a seperate network. so would not work?

At the moment when i'm at home , i can connect up to Wi-fi (but must to this manually), Personalhotspot stays connected, but since the Wi-fiis the last network joined, the IP is that of my fixed line ISP.

That maybe a workaround, but the reason I wanted o "switch" automatically, because i don't want unneccessery daya comming over hotspot for no reason..

Also, since this setup is for my parents (who will forget to automatically connect to wi-fi when home), she wouldn

t wanna go through her mobile data.

Ideally, i need a solution to this.. Otherwise it won't really work, as i can't really on parents to manually join Wi-fi network just because it wo't auto connect due to being a mobile network that it's coming from.

:)

dssds1, Aug 16, 2018
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Aug 16, 2018
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Windows 10 v1709 switches from Private to Public network

Hi Bruce,

It is possible that there is an issue with the network profiles of the computer and that can be the reason why the network always switches to Public network. We recommend that you delete all known network profiles to resolve the issue. To do this, follow
    these steps:

• Open command prompt as administrator.
    • In the command prompt window, type netsh wlan show profiles
      and press Enter.
    • Type netsh wlan delete profile name=[ProfileName] and press Enter.
    • Repeat the third step for the rest of network profiles you've seen after running the command in the second step.
    • Check if the network will still switch to Public.

Keep us posted.

Argel Obm, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Boatvan Win User

Auto-switching networks

Did our Epson printer get hacked?

Another question, is this on a home network or a work network? The steps @eidairaman1 listed are always a good first step. If this is on a work network you manage, I'd be much more concerned than the home one. It is possible someone is screwing with you, but malware could also be the culprit.

Boatvan, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Auto-switching networks

1. Auto-switching networks - Similar Threads - Auto switching networks

2. Auto keyboard switch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto keyboard switch: I have two inputs, English and Arabic. when I turn off the keyboard and English keyboard input is on, it switch to Arabic when I open my laptop again without pressing windows key + space bar. It does not happen if the keyboard in Arabic keyboard and I want to change it....
  3. Auto keyboard switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto keyboard switch: I have two inputs, English and Arabic. when I turn off the keyboard and English keyboard input is on, it switch to Arabic when I open my laptop again without pressing windows key + space bar. It does not happen if the keyboard in Arabic keyboard and I want to change it....
  4. How to disable auto-switching of desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable auto-switching of desktops: [ATTACH] On windows 10 when you press control + win + right/left arrow it switches to another desktop like the picture below, however when I have a game or an program running on another desktop and when it finishes running it automatically switches back to another desktop....
  5. Auto switching of Graphics cards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto switching of Graphics cards: Since the switch over where Microsoft 10 now controls the switching of native graphics to the video card of choice, I have two big games that do not auto switch, Elder Scrolls online and the Sims 4. All my other games, whether in steam, EA or standalone, automatically switch...
  6. Auto-switch keyboard layout?

Auto-switch keyboard layout?: I have 2 keyboards with different layouts (US-International and PT-ABNT2) I switch back and forth between. I currently have a shortcut set to change layouts. Is there any way to configure Windows 10 so it automatically switches to the correct layout based on the keyboard I'm...
  7. Windows Defender Auto Switch Off?

Windows Defender Auto Switch Off?: Hi all, I've noticed recently that after some major updates are installed that Defender is sometimes switched off after everything in completed. I can turn it on again fine in Security Centre but I get no warnings that it is not running or that I need to turn it on, except...
  8. Cisco Network Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cisco Network Switch: Hi, At the place I work our network switch is missing some ports. Is it possible to fit new ports or remove an existing port to another number? Where can i buy new ports if im able to fit? Thanks 138831
  9. Auto login then switch user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Auto login then switch user: Hello, I use wake on lan to boot my pc to access and use it remotely. On Windows 7 I remember being able to auto log on with the set password to my account and then have it switch users right away so it was still password protected but my remote connecting software would...
  10. stop auto-switching to another desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    stop auto-switching to another desktop: hi, i have desktop 1 and desktop 2 i have 2 excel files in desktop 1 and 1 excel file in desktop 2 i open another excel file in desktop 1 so there would now be 2 excel file open in desktop 1 then when i close 1 excel file in desktop 1 it will automatically switch to an...