Windows 10: auto update issue

Discus and support auto update issue in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have visited this issue once before and had no solution at that time. So, once again, here goes. I am hitting the road for 5 months ( USA ) in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by needlenoses, Oct 11, 2017.

1. auto update issue

I have visited this issue once before and had no solution at that time. So, once again, here goes.

I am hitting the road for 5 months ( USA ) in a motorhome; most places I will be going have poor to insignificant internet access. When I was down with 8.1 I was able to just shut off auto-update completely and turn it back on if and when I was in a suitable location. Also I invest in a portable hot-spot from Verizon that costs a pretty penny and I do not want it eaten up by updates.

So, is there a sure-fire way of just shutting auto-update OFF under my control not Microsoft's control. When I did the move to 10 I failed to save a backup of 8.1 and of course 10 backup overwrote it. I f I had that backup I would put 8.1 back on in a flash. 10 has slowed this laptop down to a crawl and my preferred internet program IE 11 has picked up a heard of issues including script errors up the wazzoo! Not a problem at all with my main desktop PC which is running smoothly on the Windows 7 platform including IE11 and Windows Live Mail ( another regrettable issue In 10.)

So any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I have install Firefox ( testing it for a while now on 7 ) on the laptop as I am tired of the issues in Microsoft programs.

:)

needlenoses, Oct 11, 2017
  2. Micah Bat Win User

Auto Update issues

Hi Elaine,

To turn off automatic Windows update, kindly follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update
      . If you want to check for updates manually, select Check for updates.
    • Select Advanced options, and then under Choose how updates are installed, select
      Notify to schedule restart.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Oct 11, 2017
  3. Auto Update issues

I scheduled updates to be done early morning. I use my pc in several locations every day. When I am on the road, and need to get information, the system decides to do an update causing a problem for me, as a 5 minute schedule change now has taken over
    half an hour to get added. Not to mention I am using a mobile hotspot and am paying for connection time. I had no problems before windows 10. This has made my laptop almost useless for my needs. How long before we can stop auto updates, or the scheduler actually
    works?

ElaineBoszak, Oct 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

auto update issue

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  5. Caledon Ken, Oct 11, 2017
  6. I don't want to sound totally ignorant, but this will allow me to stop auto updater how?? I do keep an updated image of my windows 10 machine and I use Norton Ghost ( unfortunately not for Windows 10 ) on my main desktop PC which has windows7/64 on it.

needlenoses, Oct 12, 2017
  7. forgot to mention that I am running windows 10 Home which has a multitude of restrictions. I will see what I can figure out re: services; not been there before.

8. auto update issue

If you are responding to my link to the media creation tool... You said you would install 8.1 if you had it. The macrium reflect link was to allow you to image the device and you could use when you travel on these long trips. Then image back to 10 when you are home.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 12, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    My post #2 gives you a way to stop updates.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  10. Scottyboy99, Oct 12, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it's in the tutorial (enable/disable); it's there in Winaero's tweaker - get that and click the link-

How does it work? You get an Action Centre notification of an update; click that, Settings opens, you see the update(s) pending (as if you'd done a manual update check).

No unexpected downloads (although MS reserves the right).

auto update issue [​IMG]

Note that while some internet sources advise this can be achieved with a regedit in Win 10 Home, the tutorial doesn't; one person who tried that says it didn't work in Home.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2017
  12. I get what you said about creating an image of !0 for my return; if I reinstall 8.1 over 10 before I go will that do the trick.

13. auto update issue

needlenoses, Oct 13, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I've posted that solely in relationship to disabling Win updates.
    Slowness of your PC is another issue entirely.

In what way do you notice it being slow?

Please post a screenshot of your task manager when your PC is 'slow' organising any columns of interest high to low.
    Repeat when your PC is nominally idle.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Thanks.

Please also post a screenshot showing your disk transfer rate e.g. when copying a large file back to the same disk. Some people find their disk is 100% utilised at e.g.10MB/s - which is far too slow. Typically these may be older machines not specified for Win 10.

dalchina, Oct 13, 2017
  15. Sorry; been busy preparing for long road trip. The HD on this laptop id 500GB and is less than half used. I will get at what you have asked as soon as able. Sent from my quick Windows 7 desktop.

needlenoses, Oct 16, 2017
Thema:

auto update issue

1. auto update issue - Similar Threads - auto update issue

2. Auto Reboot Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto Reboot Issues: Been recently having issues with Windows 10 Auto rebooting. I originally thought it was solved by disabling auto rebooting in system settings. However, it just rebooted with it being disabled. Its as if someone hit the reset button. I can look into the event log and under...
  3. Auto Reboot Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Auto Reboot Issues: Been recently having issues with Windows 10 Auto rebooting. I originally thought it was solved by disabling auto rebooting in system settings. However, it just rebooted with it being disabled. Its as if someone hit the reset button. I can look into the event log and under...
  4. Issue with Bitlocker after auto update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with Bitlocker after auto update: Hi,My laptop Surface Pro 6 running Windows 11 automatically started system update when I turned it on. Once completed, it prompted to the Bitlocker page asking for the recovery key.I have never activated this feature and cannot find this recovery key under my account. I...
  5. Issue with Bitlocker after auto update

Issue with Bitlocker after auto update: Hi,My laptop Surface Pro 6 running Windows 11 automatically started system update when I turned it on. Once completed, it prompted to the Bitlocker page asking for the recovery key.I have never activated this feature and cannot find this recovery key under my account. I...
  6. VLC Player Auto Update Issue

VLC Player Auto Update Issue: For anyone running VLC Player versions 3.0.12 or 3.0.13, there is an issue with the auto updater (if you use it). Updating to 3.0.14 has to be done manually. VLC 3.0.12 and 3.0.13 auto updater issues - VideoLAN Windows 10 20H2 19042.985 179185
  7. Auto Login Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Login Issues: Hello all, Ive been having a rough time trying to get my computer to auto login on startup. After searching through the forums I havent found an issue specifically like mine so figured Id start a new thread. I have turned off hello sign in in the sign in options, set password...
  8. Auto Login issue

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Auto Login issue: When I bought the laptop it came with Win 10 preinstalled. As far as I know I've never had a password for it. It did request me to set up a pin though. The issue that i have is that I want the laptop to boot up without asking for a login. I've followed quite a lot of...
  9. issue with auto rotation

in Windows 10 Customization
    issue with auto rotation: i have dell inspiron 3169 with touch support and windows 10 version 1809 when i update my pc from previous versions to oct2018 update, auto rotation icon and feature is disappeared. plus auto rotation feature is not working at all....
  10. Windows Update Issues - Auto Driver Update & Update Freezes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update Issues - Auto Driver Update & Update Freezes: First issue is that I need to use a specific older driver for my AMD graphics card and windows 10 continues to update the driver automatically and causes my system to crash. I've gone through {Control Panel-Devices & printers}, selected my machine, then right clicked to...