Windows 10: Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Discus and support Automatic maintenance and windows.old in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Scottyboy99, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old

i left it about ten days and then gave both machines I decent amount of idle time. Sure enough the daily auto maintenance kicked in and deleted most of the windows.old contents. But on both machines windows.old still exists, albeit much smaller in size. I seem to remember this happening after other feature updates. Basically first time round most of the file gets deleted but leaves remnants and then sometime after the whole folder disappears as auto maintenance clicks into gear again. However, having had auto maintenance recover most of the space from windows.old back on 30 Oct I tonight switched on, did a few tasks and then gave about thirty mins idle time. Looking at the cpu meter (8 gadgets) auto maintenance certainly seemed to kick in but windows.old was untouched. So it still remains making me wonder whether disk clean up part of auto maintenance is not necessarily a daily task?

:)

Scottyboy99, Nov 5, 2017

2. How do I delete the Windows.Old and Windows.BT directories without jumping through hoops

Simply wait 30 days and the auto maintenance will do it automatically. By design Microsoft has prevented the average user from deleting the windows.old folder to safeguard them from themselves

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 5, 2017
  3. Automatic Maintenance

I have Automatic Maintenance enabled for 2:00am everyday. Without any warning while browsing it just started to run on it's own. What is the point of setting it up on a schedule if it chooses to run whenever it wants? Which leads me to my next question;
    does my computer have to be on at 2:00am for this maintenance? I would greatly appreciate it if someone knows the answer to these two questions.

JudithRodda, Nov 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Automatic maintenance and windows.old

You can run diskclean and after first scan select system files to remove it your self it normally waits about 30 days before it removes it as its used for the option to role back if needed

Samuria, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    @Samuria, it was 30 days in 1507 and 1511. For the Anniversary Update 1607 and all subsequent versions, Microsoft reduced it to 10 days. Apparently their telemetry told them that those who were going to switch back invariably did so in the first week.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ce-period.html

Bree, Nov 5, 2017
  6. Yes, I know I can run disk cleanup myself. I was just curious as to how things went under automatic maintenance. It seems odd that auto maintenance deleted much of the windows.old content but left the folder behind. On one machine it’s still just over 1 gig in size. It’s happenend before and seems auto maintenance needs a couple of run throughs before it the system completely purges windows.old on its own. So I was a bit miffed that having left both systems idle yesterday they didn’t purge the remaining windows.old contents. Perhaps disk clean up runs weekly as part of the auto maintenances varied tasks ?

Scottyboy99, Nov 5, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    There are also times when Windows, for whatever reason, mislabels some drivers in Windows.old as being in use and refuses to delete it completely altogether until the user takes their own initiative to delete it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 5, 2017
  8. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Ah ok, that makes possible sense. Say a user didn't know about disk clean up or just couldn't be bothered to delete the windows.old remnants and just leave the folder there. Would the presence of windows.old cause problems further down the line? For example, the next feature update a few months down the line. Presumably the installation of it would try to generate a new windows.old. Is the system going to throw a strop because an older windows.old is already there?

Thanks
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Nov 5, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think the next major update/upgrade would just add to the existing windows.old.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Automatic maintenance and windows.old

1. Automatic maintenance and windows.old - Similar Threads - Automatic maintenance old

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  4. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘: I can't start Maintenance in Windows 10 Home it shows last ran 10/26/19 any time I try to run I get a popup "Windows is unable to run automatic maintenance, The maintenance schedule is unavailable‘" I have tried to run SFC/ scannow no problems found, I have run DISM Tool, all...
  6. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  7. Windows is unable to run Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 News
    Windows is unable to run Automatic Maintenance: [ATTACH] Windows comes with an inbuilt Automatic Maintenance feature which takes care of important tasks like security updating and scanning, Windows software updates, Disk Defragmentation, Disk Volume Errors, System Diagnostics, etc. If you receive an error which says...
  8. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  9. Disable automatic maintenance?

Disable automatic maintenance?: Since the task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10, does anyone know how to disable automatic maintenance? 17025
  10. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 windows.old automatic