Windows 10: Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

Discus and support Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. One of the greatest problems now is that whenever I use files and folders (moving, renaming,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Paddy, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Paddy Win User

Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    One of the greatest problems now is that whenever I use files and folders (moving, renaming, deleting...) there is NO automatic change in file explorer, desktop or recycle bin unless I refresh them manually. Is there a fix for this ?

:)

Paddy, Aug 5, 2016

2. How to enable auto refresh in Windows 10 File Explorer?

Well, Marc Cai's registry update did not seem to work. For example when I rename a file in the file explorer window the new name does not change until I do a refresh or press the F5 key. I also noticed the Recycle Bin doesn't clear on the desktop when
    I try to empty the recycle bin. If I open it up there is nothing there so I know the file was deleted. Thanks again for your help.

Jim Lampru, Aug 5, 2016
  3. recycle bin icon not recovering

I've looked at and read every tutorial and video online to try to find an recover and reset my recycle bin to no avail.

Settings - Personalization - themes - desktop icons, uncheck the bin, apply, ok - check the bin, apply, ok, etc, etc, etc. Nothing is working!

I have windows 10. I prefer working from desktop via file explorer. Any help is appreciated.

bobcat1962, Aug 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

You can try
    SFC /Scannow
    from an elevated command prompt.

Then there's
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

Failing that, you could try an in-place upgrade repair install.

But I understood from your other post you are trying to upgrade to the anniversary edition. If you can succeed with that, that may well resolve that as you will have a new copy of Windows, unless the problem is caused by a setting which is copied over.

Note that the anniversary edition resolves the bug where an item is deleted from explorer search list and the display was not refreshed.

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  5. Paddy Win User
    SFC /Scannow
    gives the following result:

Beginning System Scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Next to try is DISM then..
    Yes, ideally I would like to update to anniversary edtion and hope it would resolve this issue as well, trouble is I am trying to avoid reinstall and ISO and getting into potentially worse problems along the way , thats why I am trying and seeking all these simpler options.

Paddy, Aug 5, 2016
  6. Paddy Win User
    DSIM results:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool.
    Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Image version: 10.0.10586.0
    No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfuly.

Paddy, Aug 5, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, ok that certainly establishes a good baseline.

Now, the general comment here is that there are more issue with upgrades than clean installs. That's logical. From what you say, since upgrading you've found refresh never occurs. That tends to suggest sthg inherited from Win 7 is affecting Win 10.

Could you see what happens in Safe Mode?

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
  8. Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

Sounds like a corrupt user profile.

Create another user account, see if that works for you. If so, move your files to the new account and delete the old one.

Then do the update to Build 14.393.10.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 6, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
  10. Paddy Win User
    Yes, it could be that something from Windows 7 is creating the problem, I've found some comments of people saying that certain options should be changed in Windows 7 BEFORE upgrading to Windows 10, like disabling uprades for Windows 7 itself... sadly I only saw those comments AFTER I upgraded so its now too late.

In Safe Mode I did manage to delete WindowsDistribution contents but that didn't solve anything, in relation to being unable to update Windows 10.

I have downloaded ISO file, Windows 10, English language, x64... as things are I will most likely try with that in hope that it would solve both problems of no automatic refresh & no automatic update working.

Will check those out, thank You.

Paddy, Aug 6, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    ..I was thinking 'does explorer refresh in safe mode'?

dalchina, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Paddy Win User
    Oh, I haven't tried that yet, can check it and report back...

Paddy, Aug 7, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

If it doesn't, follow post #6 and create a new user for test purposes

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
  14. Paddy Win User
    Ok.

Paddy, Aug 8, 2016
  15. Paddy Win User
    I have created a new user but the problem remains the same - still no automatic refresh for files & folders in Windows Explorer, Desktop etc.

Paddy, Aug 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc. - Similar Threads - Automatic refresh doesn't

2. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.: Ive had this issue for a couple weeks now and wanted to help others since this is really frustrating.I found the solution for it in a random youtube video comment about this topic.UNPIN ANY NETWORK FOLDER from your Explorer and it will work again. Only fix which will persist....
  3. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.: Ive had this issue for a couple weeks now and wanted to help others since this is really frustrating.I found the solution for it in a random youtube video comment about this topic.UNPIN ANY NETWORK FOLDER from your Explorer and it will work again. Only fix which will persist....
  4. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Automatic Refresh bug still present in Windows 11- Desktop, File Explorer do not refresh...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Refresh bug still present in Windows 11- Desktop, File Explorer do not refresh...: There is a bug with Windows that has been around for awhile now and that is that the Desktop and File Explorer do not refresh automatically when a mapped network drive is no longer connected. To my disappointment, this bug is still present in Windows 11.When creating a New...
  6. File Explorer doesn't refresh by itself.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer doesn't refresh by itself.: I noticed that when I move a file for example on my desktop I can't see it unless I'll refresh by right-clicking on the desktop and clicking on refresh. Some weeks ago it did refresh automatically. Why it isn't happening right now? submitted by /u/zKyros_ [link]...
  7. File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically: Windows 10 Pro. Every few days File Explorer stops refreshing automatically; copying, renaming, deleting, moving and other operations with files and folders aren't reflected until I manually refresh it (hit F5). This can be alleviated by changing some View settings and then...
  8. Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing

Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing: Hello, My computer (with Windows 10 Home) has been working fine until just few minutes ago when the desktop and explorer stopped automatically refreshing. What this means is that when I create a new folder, it doesn't show up until I manually refresh. When I delete a file,...
  9. File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically

File Explorer doesn't refresh automatically: Windows 10 Pro. Every few days File Explorer stops refreshing automatically; copying, renaming, deleting, moving and other operations with files and folders aren't reflected until I manually refresh it (hit F5). This can be alleviated by changing some View settings and then...
  10. File explorer doesn't refresh automatically

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer doesn't refresh automatically: hi guys i have some problem thats freaks me out!!! work on last updates , 64 bit every file i download to downloads folder i need to press f5 to see the file on top (list by date) i do some things.. like use some cmd commend to scan and fix all was great , change refresh...