Windows 10: Automatic repair -> blinking desktop

Discus and support Automatic repair -> blinking desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My daughter has a Dell P20T ultrabook (11" inspiron). Yesterday when she turned it on it said "Automatic Repair" and eventually got to a blue screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 3DPiper, Jan 27, 2018.

1. 3DPiper Win User

Automatic repair -> blinking desktop

My daughter has a Dell P20T ultrabook (11" inspiron).
    Yesterday when she turned it on it said "Automatic Repair" and eventually got to a blue screen.
    We tried just rebooting several times, but it would always 'automatic repair' and end up at the blue screen.
    We eventually chose Troubleshooting and 'advanced options' and chose to 'startup repair' which took forever.
    When it did finally reboot, we were able to login but the desktop would blink on/off. No desktop icons ever showed up, just an empty blinking desktop with taskbar at the bottom.
    I have read where you need to disable 'Windows Error Reporting' in msconfig, but it is blinking so fast (and the cursor has the spinning 'wait' wheel) I can't start anything. I can cntrl-ald-del and click task manager, but it never starts.
    I've tried to boot to command line and add a 'disable' dword to the registery for Windows Error Reporting, but the desktop still blinks.
    ?

:)

3DPiper, Jan 27, 2018
  2. M8R
    m8r Win User

monitor lost signal during sign in and sign out

click sign out > signing out screen > blink(monitor lost signal) > sign in screen

click sign in > blink(monitor lost signal) > welcome screen > desktop

3. TimWilli Win User
    i need to re install to my older version windows 8.1

I think I have the same problem. computer says (preparing automatic repair) for like 2days now. can't get to desktop. nothing I've tried will move it from the thinking, blinking mode.

TimWilli, Jan 27, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, start by checking your disk.

As you can't do that with your damaged Windows, then download and create Kyhi's boot disk from the top of the Software and Apps section here.

Boot your PC from that and run HD Tune from that disk and post the result (Health tab).

Then run
    chkdsk x: /scan
    where x: is the drive letter containing your Windows partition (it may not be C: as viewed like this).
    Post the result.

Basically there's no point in trying to fix your PC until we know the disk is ok.

dalchina, Jan 27, 2018
  5. 3DPiper Win User
    Here is the data from the health tab of HD Tune:

===================================

HD Tune: ST500LT012-1DG14 Health

ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
    (01) Raw Read Error Rate 114 95 6 66733328 Ok
    (03) Spin Up Time 99 99 0 0 Ok
    (04) Start/Stop Count 96 96 20 4263 Ok
    (05) Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 56 Ok
    (07) Seek Error Rate 78 60 30 80586126 Ok
    (09) Power On Hours Count 98 98 0 1826 Ok
    (0A) Spin Retry Count 100 100 97 0 Ok
    (0C) Power Cycle Count 99 99 20 1834 Ok
    (B8) (unknown attribute) 100 100 99 0 Ok
    (BB) (unknown attribute) 89 89 0 11 Ok
    (BC) (unknown attribute) 100 99 0 10 Ok
    (BD) (unknown attribute) 100 100 0 0 Ok
    (BE) Airflow Temperature 68 51 45 571801632 Ok
    (BF) G-sense Error Rate 100 100 0 371 Ok
    (C0) Power Off Retract Count 100 100 0 220 Ok
    (C1) Load Cycle Count 83 83 0 34462 Ok
    (C2) Temperature 32 49 0 32 Ok
    (C5) Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 0 Ok
    (C6) Offline Uncorrectable 100 100 0 0 Ok
    (C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 200 200 0 0 Ok
    (F0) Head Flying Hours 99 99 0 1584 Ok
    (F1) (unknown attribute) 100 253 0 1136377150 Ok
    (F2) (unknown attribute) 100 253 0 -970280803 Ok
    (FE) (unknown attribute) 1 1 0 180 Ok

Power On Time : 1826
    Health Status : Ok

=================================

I also ran chkdsk /scan and it said "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required."

Is there a way to disable the Windows Error Reporting on C:\ when I boot from the USB? That would be great, I think that is the problem

3DPiper, Jan 29, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Normally I would suggest:
    now please from an elevated (admin) command prompt run (if you can)
    sfc /scannow
    and post the result.
    - but you can't run anything.

Can you boot to Safe Mode?
    E.g. from the power button on the login screen, SHIFT left click Restart and navigate through the prompts to Safe Mode. Check to see if you still have access to programs and data.

If you can also boot to a command prompt (similar way to the abov), you can try running SFC /SCANNOW offline:
    e.g.
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=x:\ /offwindir=x:\windowsNote that at the command prompt you will need to check the disk letter for your Windows partition (it will most likely NOT be C: and then substitue that letter for x in the above.

Given that you've logged in as normal, but your desktop is blank, you might wish to consider whether you have either
    a. access to your files
    and
    b. a backup of those files

Depending on what you find, you may need to attempt an in-place upgrade repair install. However, at this stage it's far from clear what state your PC is in.

Do you have any disk images? We constantly urge people to routinely use disk imaging (Eg. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets). If you have a disk image, you can restore your PC to how it was when you created the image without technical help. Imaging can help even if your disk fails or your PC becomes unbootable, infected by ransomware, unfixable... barring other hardware problems of course.

dalchina, Jan 30, 2018
  7. 3DPiper Win User
    I booted to a cmd prompt (not sure if it was elevated or not) and ran sfc /scannow:

==================================================

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

===================================================

I also tried to "Reset This PC" keeping personal files, but it failed. Arg

3DPiper, Feb 2, 2018
  8. Automatic repair -> blinking desktop

Please boot your computer with Windows 10 Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

The following command scans integrity of all protected Windows system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Code: Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\ /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows[/quote]

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Following command will fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Code: Chkdsk D: /r[/quote]

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

When commands finish executing restart your computer and if the issue not resolved follow below instructions.

Windows Vista/ 7/8/8.1/10 keep a regular backup of the registry handy in case you need to overwrite a corrupted registry. By default, the RegIdleBackup task runs every 10 days, so that’s as far back as you would lose if you replaced the current registry with the automatically backed-up files. You can find the backed-up registry files in \Windows\System32\config\RegBack folder.

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Code: Dir C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack[/quote]
    Above command will list files stored within RegBack folder and there file size, make sure files are not zero size if they are do not follow below instructions.

Automatic repair -> blinking desktop [​IMG]

Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and for each command you have typed press Enter key.

Code: Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SAM SAM.BAK Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM SYSTEM.BAK Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SECURITY SECURITY.BAK Ren C:\windows\system32\config\DEFAULT DEFAULT.BAK Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.BAK Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM C:\windows\system32\config Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM C:\windows\system32\config Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY C:\windows\system32\config Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT C:\windows\system32\config Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE C:\windows\system32\config[/quote]
    This procedure assumes that Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 is installed to the C:\ partition. Make sure to replace C:\ drive letter to the appropriate Windows OS installed partition drive letter if it is a different location.

Above commands renames the registry files at their existing location, and then copies the registry files from the RegBack folder to the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder.

FreeBooter, Feb 2, 2018
  9. 3DPiper Win User
    I tried

Code: Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows[/quote] and it said

Code: Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included inthe CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log. Note that logging is curently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.[/quote] attached is the CBS.LOG file

I then typed

Code: chkdsk c: /r[/quote] and it said

Code: Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.[/quote] I then rebooted and the desktop (background and taskbar, but no icons) still blinked.

I then renamed the SAM, SYSTEM, SECURITY, DEFAULT, and SOFTWARE reg files and copied over the default ones.
    When I rebooted, the desktop still blinked.

Further research says this could be related to Windows Error Reporting. I can't get to msconfig to turn off the service, but I did manage to add a "Disabled" dword to the Windows Error Reporting key. But when I rebooted, the desktop STILL blinked.

I am sad

3DPiper, Feb 3, 2018
  10. The Install.wim is the source of where these corrupted or missing Windows system files located.

The following command can be executed to extract corrupted or missing Windows Component Store files from Install.wim file which is stored at Sources folder on the Windows 10 Setup Media.

Code: DISM /image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess[/quote]
    Replace C:\ drive letter with Windows 10 installed partition drive letter.

Replace the X:\Sources folder path with a folder path where Install.wim image file is stored.

The /Index parameter tells DISM utility to retrieve the corrupted or missing files from which edition of Windows OS. The Install.wim file can contain more than one edition of the Windows OS. You can execute following command to found out index number of your Windows OS edition that you want to repair.

Code: Dism /Get-WimInfo /Wimfile:"X:\sources\install.wim"[/quote]
    Replace the X:\Sources folder path with a folder path where Install.wim image file is stored. As you can see there is two editions of Windows 10 and all have index number.

Automatic repair -> blinking desktop [​IMG]

After above commands finish executing, execute following command.

Code: Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows[/quote]
    Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

FreeBooter, Feb 3, 2018
  11. 3DPiper Win User
    I do not have an Install.WIM on this system.
    I booted to a command prompt and typed
    Code: dir /s /a *.WIM[/quote] and all I got was these files:
    On the C:\ drive- boot.wim, windowsdefenderapplicationguard.wim, bootos.wim
    On the D:\ drive - Winre.wim
    On the X:\ drive - none

No Install.wim

I do have:

C:\ESD\Windows\Sources\Install.ESD

could I use that?

3DPiper, Feb 3, 2018
  12. Are you booting your computer with Windows 10 installation media?

FreeBooter, Feb 3, 2018
  13. 3DPiper Win User

I do not have 'media', this was upgraded from Win8.
    I hold shift when restarting to get to the command prompt, or boot from USB with Kyhi's Boot Disk (see above).
    I added (after you posted):
    I do have:

C:\ESD\Windows\Sources\Install.ESD

could I use that?

also: I don't know if this is important, but the OS version is 10.0.15063.0

3DPiper, Feb 3, 2018
  14. Where is that Install.esd file came from if you want you can but that Install.esd image file looks out of place.

You can always use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 Installation Media (DVD/USB).

FreeBooter, Feb 3, 2018
  15. Looks like you are using Windows 10 Creators Update if you are then you will need to use install.wim or install.esd file for Windows 10 Creators Update version.

FreeBooter, Feb 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Automatic repair -> blinking desktop - Similar Threads - Automatic repair blinking

2. Hp desktop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hp desktop stuck on preparing automatic repair: So a few days ago I accidentally pressed the power button multiple times instead of holding it my pc shut off but when I turned it back on it showed preparing automatic repair on the screen then after a few seconds said my device ran into a problem I'm not sure what to do to...
  3. Hp desktop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp desktop stuck on preparing automatic repair: So a few days ago I accidentally pressed the power button multiple times instead of holding it my pc shut off but when I turned it back on it showed preparing automatic repair on the screen then after a few seconds said my device ran into a problem I'm not sure what to do to...
  4. Hp desktop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My desktop is blinking

My desktop is blinking: I updated and turned off my computer yesterday and when I turned my pc on today it took a long time to start up and when I finally logged on, my desktop was blinking about every second and it appeared that file explorer was being restarted every time, the login screen is fine...
  6. repairing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Customization
    repairing automatic repair: Continuously getting "repairing automatic repair" how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repairing-automatic-repair/ca594e7c-ea3e-4f2f-b52c-cb48cf81519e
  7. Desktop Icon's Blinking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon's Blinking: One of my users has an issue where his desktop icons blink like they are refreshing every second or so. This causes explorer.exe to use a high amount of CPU. After troubleshooting extensively I have narrowed the source down to the State Repository Service service. If i stop...
  8. Automatic Repair

Automatic Repair: I wonder why Automatic Repair doesn't start when my PC cannot start, please refer to my previous question; to repair Startup I have to go manually through Recovery to Repair Startup Option. Could anyone explain why this is so. I have read many threads mentioning Automatic...
  9. Desktop menu blink

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop menu blink: Hello I have a weird blink problem on my desktop taskbar menu. Problem is it eventually blinks posting here a quick gif I forced the problem to appear moving a pdf file from a folder to desktop and then back to the folder again. Notice the menu only blinks first time...
  10. Automatic repair

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic repair: Hi. My desktop computer will not start properly. As soon as I turn it on it goes straight to the automatic repair screen. I think I have tried everything but to no avail .can someone please help!!. 76850