Windows 10: Automatic Restore Point Creation

Discus and support Automatic Restore Point Creation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is there a way to get Restore Points created automatically periodically? The only ones showing in the Restore Point window are those I created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by JJG10, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JJG10 Win User

Automatic Restore Point Creation

Is there a way to get Restore Points created automatically periodically? The only ones showing in the Restore Point window are those I created manually. System Update has never created one.

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Feb 9, 2016
  2. Tooslow Win User

Scheduling automatic creation of System Restore Points"

OK, talking to myself here, but it might help someone else. I have persevered and come to the conclusion that 0x0 means that a program ran successfully and is not an error code as reported on many web pages. If you doubt this, look in Task Scheduler at the
    programs that run at start up time. They all show 0x0 and they are working.

So why no restore point? I have come to the conclusion that System Restore decides that one is not necessary, probably because one was taken in the last n days. Don't ask me what n is. Maybe a week? To test this theory I deleted
    all restore points and waited for my scheduled Restore Point creation task to run. Voila! A restore point.

Cracked it.

John

Tooslow, Feb 9, 2016
  3. Tooslow Win User
    Scheduling automatic creation of System Restore Points"

Hi, thanks for your interest but that didn't help.

As noted above the scheduled task is running with the "SYSTEM" account. This is what is filled in when you go to this scheduled task for the first time. If you follow the steps I described above on your own pc you will see this.

I tried the Administrator account. I had to enable it and give it a password, tried that and.... 0x0 the same as with "System" userid.

It's annoying that this doesn't "just work" but I had the same thing 6 years ago with Win 7. The solution then was (as I noted in my original post) I had to use a specific userid and pw, though this was 6 years ago so I can't remember what they were, though
    it was definitely not "Administrator".

There are all sorts of hits for overly complex solutions involving scripts and scheduled tasks but if I can't find a simple solution I'll just stick to taking the occasional manual restore point.

John

Tooslow, Feb 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 9, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User

System Update only creates a new restore point if last one is older than 7 days or when major update is installed. I, like you, want more frequent ones and just create them manually every couple days or after successful software install.

mrgeek, Feb 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    See the tutorial section for a way to add creating a restore point to the context menu, for example.

dalchina, Feb 9, 2016
  7. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you.

My Win 10 has never created a restore point when an update was installed. That seems to conflict with what you said. Plus, I have had Win 10 installed since last November and it has never created one. I do have System Protection turned on.

Thanks again.

JJG10, Feb 9, 2016
  8. milford Win User

You also have to create/reserve enough room on your hard drive so there is room for a restore point (or several) to be created.

milford, Feb 9, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Win 10 doesn't seem to create restore points when Windows updates are applied. Change of policy by Uncle MS. Recall S. Restore is OFF by default, consistent with no restore points being triggered by MS actions.

So you need to turn it on, and some program installations will trigger a restore point being created. Else you need to create them manually or on a schedule.

dalchina, Feb 9, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Has anybody any idea why there should be this shift in policy?

System Restore is still a handy tool.

cereberus, Feb 9, 2016
  11. b1rd Win User
    Another nice option is to add a back-up imaging program to the context menu too. I mean you can very easily just right-click and make a quick full image back by the time you return from a quick break from the computer.

Ultimate Windows Context Menu Customizer can help with this. You can add pretty much any .exe to the context menu. You can also add the program icons too, to make them easier to locate on the menu.

Mine:

Automatic Restore Point Creation [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Automatic Restore Point Creation - Similar Threads - Automatic Restore Point

2. are system restore points deleted automatically?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    are system restore points deleted automatically?: So 2 weeks ago I checked system restore out of curiosity and I had atleast like 5 restore points, I checked today and now I only have two, what happened?...
  3. Automatic Restore Point Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Restore Point Problem: Can anyone help please? I'm just simply trying to do a restore into a specific Automatic Restore Point that was done by the system 2 days ago and after the PC restarts, the prompt says it didn't complete the restore.My PC is running on Windows 11 22H2 22621.2428...
  4. Automatic Restore Point Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Restore Point Problem: Can anyone help please? I'm just simply trying to do a restore into a specific Automatic Restore Point that was done by the system 2 days ago and after the PC restarts, the prompt says it didn't complete the restore.My PC is running on Windows 11 22H2 22621.2428...
  5. Restore Points automatically deleting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Points automatically deleting: Is it possible to make one restore point that windows wont delete it, if it is already created? submitted by /u/_MeetYourMaker_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k822y5/restore_points_automatically_deleting/
  6. Disable create auto restore point /allow manual restore point creation

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Disable create auto restore point /allow manual restore point creation: Is this possible ? Disable create auto restore point But allow manual restore point creation ? thanks 169313
  7. Restore point creation as part of updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore point creation as part of updates: One of the features of windows 7 was that it automatically created a restore point before applying an updates. Now that I'm newly on windows 10 1909, I've noticed that there have been several updates over the last 3 weeks applied to the PC without a restore point being...
  8. disable automatic restore point

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable automatic restore point: how do I prevent win 10 creating restore point automatically https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/disable-automatic-restore-point/bb314991-dcef-4d02-a310-7e4ddbe0140d
  9. No Automatic Restore Points Created

No Automatic Restore Points Created: I have a clean install of Win 10. Despite receiving several cumulative updates from Microsoft over the past several days, no automatic restore points have been created. System Restore is set to "On" for drive C: so that is not the issue. I can create manual restore points...
  10. Scheduling System Restore Point Creation

Scheduling System Restore Point Creation: Hi Forum, I see that Win10 has deleted the function to schedule the creation of restore points! Supposedly it creates a new restore point before downloading updates (if the function is turned on; by default it is off!). I like to schedule the creation of points every few...