Windows 10: Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10 How to Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by lumbco, Sep 26, 2016.

1. lumbco Win User

Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10

How to: Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10

How to Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10

system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an app, driver, or update.

Each restore point contains the necessary information needed to restore the system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you Restoring wont affect your personal files in your %UserProfile% folder, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was created.

This tutorial will show you how to create an elevated task to automatically create a system restore point at startup in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an password to be able to create the elevated task in Task Scheduler.

*note System protection must be turned on for your Windows drive (ex: C: ) for this task to work.

You must have UAC set to its default setting for this task to work.

Here's How:

1. If you haven't already, you will need to change the SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency DWORD value to 0 in Registry Editor for this task to work properly.
    *Arrow How to Change System Restore Point Creation Frequency in Windows 10
    2. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type taskschd.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.

3. Click/tap on Task Scheduler Library in the left pane of Task Scheduler, and click/tap on Create Task in the right Actions pane. (see screenshot below)

Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. In the Create Task wizard: (see screenshot below)
    A) Click/tap on the General tab.

B) Type a Name (ex: "Create Restore Point at Startup") you want for this task.

C) Select (dot) Run whether user is logged on or not.

D) Check the Run with highest privileges box.

E) Select Windows 10 in the Configure for drop down menu.

5. Click/tap on the Triggers tab, and click/tap on the New button. (see screenshot below)

6. Select At startup in the Begin the task drop down menu, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Actions tab, and click/tap on the New button. (see screenshot below)

8. In the New Action wizard: (see screenshot below)
    A) Select Start a program in the Action drop down menu.

B) Type powershell.exe in the Program/script field.

C) Copy and paste the command below into the Add arguments field.

Code:
    D) Click/tap on OK.

9. Click/tap on the Conditions tab, uncheck the Start the task only if the computer is on AC power box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

10. Enter your account's password, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

11. You will now see this new task (ex: "Create Restore Point at Startup") listed in the Task Scheduler Library. You can now close Task Scheduler if you like. (see screenshot below)

*note If you should want to remove this task in the future, right click on this task (ex: "Create Restore Point at Startup"), click/tap on Delete, and click/tap on Yes to approve.

12. A new restore point named Automatic Restore Point will now automatically be created at each startup. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

lumbco, Sep 26, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 26, 2016
  3. DixitS Win User
    where is automatic System restore windows 10

I would like to do system restore , but I have not created system restore points. I looked in the system restore and there are no automatic restore points. When I had windows 8 and XP the system used to create restore points. What happens in Windows 10?
    Are there any system restore points in Windows 10 ? If the system does create restore points automatically, where does one see those points? Because I do not see them. If I can restore the system to a week back , I will not have any problem with word. Please
    let me know where can I find System Restore point in Windows 10 when they are not created by me.

DixitS, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Lumbco,

Double check the steps again, and make sure that System Protection is still turned on for your C: drive.

Brink, Sep 26, 2016
  5. lumbco Win User
    I followed your procedure again and still did not get a new restore point on startup.

I triple checked each step when setting up your procedure, the only point I am unsure about is the administrator setting. I am the only user of my PC so am I automatically the administrator?

lumbco, Sep 28, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It sounds like you should be an administrator, but you can use an option in the tutorial below to verify.

Account Type - Determine in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

As a test, run the command below in an elevated command prompt to see if it works for you to create a restore point. It's what the tutorial uses for the task.

Code: wmic /Namespace:\\root\default Path SystemRestore Call CreateRestorePoint "Automatic Restore Point", 100, 7[/quote]
    Please go ahead and post screenshots showing your task settings from the tutorial to see if anything may stand out, and also post screenshots showing your list of restore points in system protection.

Brink, Sep 28, 2016
  7. lumbco Win User
    Thank you Brink.
    I used your tutorial and confirmed that I am registered as administrator.
    I then ran the wmic command as an administrator and confirmed that it generates a restore repoint. To make sure I ran it again, screen shot attached.

Having looked at the post from psperson , I think that he may have a point. To test this I switched the PC off and on again and checked the Restore Point 'current usage', it was 8.15 Gb.
    I made a manual RP and the usage went up to 8.16 Gb so it appears that each point consumes 0.01Gb.
    I switched the PC off and on and the usage went up to 8.17Gb, but no extra RP was listed.
    I repeated this and the usage went up to 8.18GB, still no additional RP was listed.
    To be extra sure I wanted to disable System Protection on my C drive and repeat the switch off/on. This should have resulted in no increase in usage, but a message warned me that all restore points would be deleted.
    Could this mean that your procedure to create a RP at switch on does work, but on my PC the newly created restore point cannot be displayed?

lumbco, Sep 29, 2016
  8. flybynite Win User

Windows will only allow the creation of a certain amount of restore points each day. You may have used your allotment. Change registry as in code to allow unlimited restore points in Windows. Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore] "SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency"=dword:00000000[/quote]

flybynite, Sep 29, 2016
  9. flybynite Win User
    Actually I was able to create the restore point by running task within scheduler, but it does not run at startup. *Sad

flybynite, Sep 29, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The task is not limited by how many restore points it can create. It will always create a restore point at startup. If your set maximum storage size in system protection runs out, then the oldest restore point will automatically be deleted to free up space for a new one.

Just to verify. "Startup" is after a restart or shutdown, and not for resume from sleep or hibernate.

Brink, Sep 29, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It looks like you had restore points created from your screenshot. The created restore point by this task at startup is only displayed in the location of your screenshot.

When you turn off system protection, it will delete all restore points by default. This is why you got the warning message.

Brink, Sep 29, 2016
  12. ma3ino Win User
    Was the work steps in peace but when you restart the device does not show can you tell us how

ma3ino, Oct 2, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ma3ino, *Smile

Please double check using the screenshots under step 11 to verify if the restore point is listed there.

Brink, Oct 2, 2016
  14. spicy Win User
    I’ve followed all the steps

why I am not create a new restore point automatically every time I start Windows 8.1

spicy, Oct 27, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello spicy, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Just to verify:

1) Be sure you did step 1.

2) In step 4E, you would select "Windows 8.1" instead of "Windows 10".

3) Double check to make sure all the steps were done exactly in the tutorial. Especially the command in step 8.

Brink, Oct 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Automatically Create System

2. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup: I need help with creating and keeping automatic restore points at startup. I have been fighting with this for months.Restore points are not created at startup Restore points are deleted by something I can't figure out. They simply disappear. I don't know where they go.C-drive...
  3. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup: I need help with creating and keeping automatic restore points at startup. I have been fighting with this for months.Restore points are not created at startup Restore points are deleted by something I can't figure out. They simply disappear. I don't know where they go.C-drive...
  4. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows not creating restore points automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not creating restore points automatically: Hi,I just tried restoring my system from a restore point. System Restore said I had no restore points, even though Protection Settings were turned on for my C: drive. I looked in Task Scheduler and the SystemRestore task shows up as Ready. I was able to create restore point...
  6. Windows not creating restore points automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not creating restore points automatically: Hi,I just tried restoring my system from a restore point. System Restore said I had no restore points, even though Protection Settings were turned on for my C: drive. I looked in Task Scheduler and the SystemRestore task shows up as Ready. I was able to create restore point...
  7. Windows not creating restore points automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Automatic System Restore points not being created

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Automatic System Restore points not being created: Did a Google search and did all the recommended fixes. Nothing. (Windows 10 Version 1809 - OS Build 17763.1039) 151119
  9. No Automatic Restore Points Created

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    No Automatic Restore Points Created: I have a clean install of Win 10. Despite receiving several cumulative updates from Microsoft over the past several days, no automatic restore points have been created. System Restore is set to "On" for drive C: so that is not the issue. I can create manual restore points...
  10. Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10: How to: Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 How to Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10 system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if...