Windows 10: Automatically deny access of (Drives) to newly created user accounts

Discus and support Automatically deny access of (Drives) to newly created user accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, Firstly, hope I'm posting in the right section. I would like to know if this is actually possible, i.e. the ability to deny complete... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by BRAC, Jul 11, 2017.

1. BRAC Win User

Automatically deny access of (Drives) to newly created user accounts

Hello,

Firstly, hope I'm posting in the right section.

I would like to know if this is actually possible, i.e. the ability to deny complete access of a specific drive/partition to a newly created user account (local) somewhere in the advanced security settings or via cmd. The current situation is that I have to manually access the advanced security tab of the concerned drive/partition, add/edit the new user account(s) and then deny access to them individually, requiring too many mouse clicks and admin password inputs each time.

What I prefer instead is to be able to set up the security settings in a manner that would auto-disable access to all user accounts likely created in the future and allow access to only the currently enabled local/admin account.

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. Dan1980H Win User

Latest Update has automatically created User Profile - lost everything

Hi all,

The last automatic update on Windows 10 has automatically created a new user account, made it the administrator main account and all my files are missing.

It's as though I've just booted it up from scratch after the very first boot. I know they aren't missing because my C drive is still two thirds full and all my personal files are under my main user account.

Original user account = C:\Users\Daniel

New user account = C:\Users\Daniel.DAN

Now why it should create a new user account and essentially remove normal access to my original account god only knows.

Question: How do i remove the new administrator user account and go back to my other account?

I hear you think, go to 'User Accounts' in Control Panel and select 'Manage Accounts' and select your original account and remove the other newly created one BUT ... there is only one account showing and that's the newly created Daniel.DAN account.

What can I do to restore the status quo?

Thanks

Dan

Dan1980H, Jul 11, 2017
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    My files have been kidnapped... by Microsoft.

Hi Leo,

A corrupted user profile is a possible cause regarding the permission error when accessing files. We advise creating a
    new administrator account and take ownership of the files from the corrupted
    profile, then see if the issue will persist.

After that, follow the steps to transfer files from your affected account to the new account:

• Restart the computer and log in the newly created account.
    • Click This PC, then access the C: drive.
    • Access the Users folder, then open the corrupted profile folder and copy all the content to the newly created profile folder.

You should be able to access your files using the new admin account.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Erika Aro, Jul 11, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Is this for a company and do you have a domain?

Samuria, Jul 11, 2017
  5. BRAC Win User
    Thank you.

Actually, it's neither. It's just for my personal use. I just want the access denial for any guest/local accounts I may create in the future and not have to worry about the regular drill ( as in my opening post). Also, I'm on the Home edition, so not part of any domains.

6. BRAC Win User
    I guess it's safe to assume my requirement isn't possible since there are no more replies.

edit: I found an alternative solution (via CMD) on your Windows 8 forums. Although not automatic, it greatly reduces the steps involved but can't seem to get it to work for some reason. It's as shown below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>icacls "s:" /grant "GUEST 2":N /T
    Invalid parameter "GUEST 2:N"

C:\WINDOWS\system32>icacls "c:" /grant "GUEST 2":N /T
    Invalid parameter "GUEST 2:N"

Tried prefixing the user name with the system name, i.e, "system name\GUEST 2":N /T. Also tried with other user names and still get the same error. Can't seem to figure out what the issue is.

Any help's appreciated.

7. BRAC Win User
    This complete silence is rather baffling. I would appreciate a reply to the ICALS bit, at least. If not please feel free to close the thread.

Many of us seek help here or other third party sites as the Windows forums are mostly useless with automated replies, mostly by those hanging on their dear jobs despite being incompetent.

8. lx07 Win User

For icacls you want to deny all access rather than granting none.

Code: C:\Windows\system32>net user User accounts for \\MACBOOK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hali Administrator DefaultAccount dillo Guest guest 2 The command completed successfully. C:\Windows\system32>icacls c:\temp /deny "guest 2":f processed file: c:\temp Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files C:\Windows\system32>icacls c:\temp c:\temp MACBOOK\guest 2Automatically deny access of (Drives) to newly created user accounts :(N) MACBOOK\HaliAutomatically deny access of (Drives) to newly created user accounts :(OI)(CI)(F) BUILTIN\AdministratorsAutomatically deny access of (Drives) to newly created user accounts :(OI)(CI)(F) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMAutomatically deny access of (Drives) to newly created user accounts :(OI)(CI)(F) Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]

Assuming your guest 2 user is a limited user (and not part of administrators group) then they will not be able to see other users files anyway. Denying access to volumes other than C would not be an issue but I really don't know what would happen if you tried to deny access to a user to the whole of the C drive. It would fail on paths you weren't authorized to for sure and taking ownership to overcome this would probably not be wise.

9. BRAC Win User
    @lx07

Thanks a lot for your time.

That minor change (which I never knew of) from grant to deny did the trick. And, you're right about C: drive being denied access. Also, you mentioned files not being accessible by guest users not part of administrator groups. In my case I was still able to navigate those drives when signed in as a guest. Anyway, all's well now.

Thanks again.

BRAC, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Automatically deny access of (Drives) to newly created user accounts - Similar Threads - Automatically deny access

2. Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !: Drive J not accessible. Access is denied.Tried Disk Management to check the status. Properties says that I need Read permission to view. When I accessed advanced settings for permissions, it says that I do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission...
  3. Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !: Drive J not accessible. Access is denied.Tried Disk Management to check the status. Properties says that I need Read permission to view. When I accessed advanced settings for permissions, it says that I do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission...
  4. Drive Not Accessible! Access denied !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Modern apps: after uninstalling, they reappear in newly-created user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modern apps: after uninstalling, they reappear in newly-created user accounts: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.2006I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 Home. I uninstalled several apps that I don't need, such as: Disney+; Groove Music; Mixed Reality Portal; Office; OneNote for Windows 10; Paint 3D; Skype; Solitaire Collection; Spotify Music; Xbox;...
  6. Modern apps: after uninstalling, they reappear in newly-created user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modern apps: after uninstalling, they reappear in newly-created user accounts: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.2006I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 Home. I uninstalled several apps that I don't need, such as: Disney+; Groove Music; Mixed Reality Portal; Office; OneNote for Windows 10; Paint 3D; Skype; Solitaire Collection; Spotify Music; Xbox;...
  7. Create and separate access on user accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Create and separate access on user accounts: Hi folks! I have Windows 10 Professional on a laptop. Is there a possibility to separate accounts from each other as well as installation of programs, folders etc.? in a way that the programs/folders etc. only belong to one account and are not accessible from outside from...
  8. Drive is not accessible. Access denied

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive is not accessible. Access denied: Disk D: is not accessible. Access is denied on Windows 10 – How to Fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-is-not-accessible-access-denied/dfe8d92f-d621-4acb-973c-c4075eb98b2b
  9. Unable to access newly created Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to access newly created Microsoft account: Hi! Need help! Bought a new laptop and thought of creating a new MS account during the start-up wizard assisted by Windows Cortana. The problem is that I couldn't access this email account! Now I get this notification under 'Shared Experiences Account' stating some of my...
  10. Access to Users/Documents denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Access to Users/Documents denied: Hi all, Everything was working fine till now, then suddenly I get an error message that access to Users/jain/Documents is denied. I searched a bit online and I ended up unlinking my OneDrive account and enabling the hidden Administrator account to no vail. Its not just...