Windows 10: Automatically locking BitLocker volumes

Discus and support Automatically locking BitLocker volumes in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is there an easy way to have certain BitLocker volumes lock automatically after a period of user absence and lack of reading/writing to the volumes?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by meh, Feb 13, 2018.

1. MEH
    meh Win User

Automatically locking BitLocker volumes

Is there an easy way to have certain BitLocker volumes lock automatically after a period of user absence and lack of reading/writing to the volumes? Perhaps a utility that does this?

I've been playing with a scheduled task, but so far, it locks the volumes when I don't want them to, and is oblivious to when the volumes are being used.

Edit: I guess I will just use Shutter, which I have been using for a long time, but never for this. I'm guessing I will need to run Shutter with elevation for this (i.e. manage-bde.exe -lock -fd) to work. I was hoping to use a more dedicated utility, without having to learn how to do it in AutoHotkey or something.

Shutter « Products « den4b.com

:)

2. Paul Lupa Win User

What does a yellow exclamation mark over the C Drive on a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 in Devices and Drives mean?

Here are the different icon adornments for hard drives that may appear

Adornment
    Meaning

Windows logo (may be combined with other adornments)
    System drive.

Locked padlock
    BitLocker locked: Volume is inaccessible.

Unlocked padlock
    BitLocker on: Drive is encrypted and keys are protected.

Unlocked padlock with yellow warning triangle
    BitLocker is suspended: Drive is encrypted but everyone has access. This icon is also used to indicate the BitLocker is pre-provisioned.

Paul Lupa, Feb 13, 2018
  3. Bitlocker has locked me out of windows during doing a full reset on surface book.

Bitlocker has locked me out of windows during doing a full reset. Don't have keycode or access to any windows directory including being prevented from doing full factory reset because it appears that the volume where the instalation copy of windows is stored,
    seems to be 'Volume 3', is the only volume listed twice over, and both are locked by bitlocker. The system is a surface book with windows 10.

How do I work around this to do a full factory reset?

AdeaneCroft, Feb 13, 2018
Thema:

Automatically locking BitLocker volumes

1. Automatically locking BitLocker volumes - Similar Threads - Automatically locking BitLocker

2. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  3. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  4. Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.: On a brand new ASUS ROG Strix 15 laptop, using any USB port, my external Bitlocker volumes are automatically re-locking themselves, sometimes 24 hours after being unlocked. Some volumes are on external NVMe devices and some are just USB thumbdrives. Anyone else seeing...
  5. Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker volumes are automatically locking in Windows 11 after opened by password.: On a brand new ASUS ROG Strix 15 laptop, using any USB port, my external Bitlocker volumes are automatically re-locking themselves, sometimes 24 hours after being unlocked. Some volumes are on external NVMe devices and some are just USB thumbdrives. Anyone else seeing...
  6. Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically: Hi,I have recently reset my PC to have a clean installation of Windows in C drive. PC reset was successful but my D & E drives are automatically locked by Bitlocker. I have contacted Microsoft for resolution. It seems that the drives are locked automatically by Bitlocker due...
  7. Lock Volume

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lock Volume: Does anyone know of a way to lock the volume level? Every time I reboot my PC the volume level always defaults back to 37. Is there a way to make it default to where it was last set? Thanks! submitted by /u/cam3r0n____________ [link] [comments]...
  8. Bitlocker Locked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Locked: Hello , I forgot my bitlocker password and recovery key lost from usb ....i tried so many methods i just want to delete the bitlocker so to access my files and because i have so much information about it...
  9. Volume is locked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume is locked: the amber light is on my volume locked function key and the little black volume screen display is on with an X. I am not able to increase my volume and use the computer speakers. Does anyone know how to turn it off?...
  10. Undesired Behavior: BitLocker Automatically Unlocking System Volume

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Undesired Behavior: BitLocker Automatically Unlocking System Volume: Win10 Pro, 1909 Upon restart, or cold boot from power-off condition, Bitlocker is unlocking the system volume automatically. This behavior just started tonight. From my understanding, this is not possible, LOL. I've never seen this behavior. See below for a dump of BitLocker...
Tags: