Windows 10: Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

Discus and support Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10 How to Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

How to: Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

How to Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

OneDrive Files On-Demand is available starting with Windows 10 build 16215 and OneDrive app build 17.3.7064.1005 or later.

OneDrive Files On-Demand helps you access all your files in OneDrive without having to download all of them and use storage space on your device.

When you turn on Files On-Demand, youll see all your files in File Explorer and get new information about each file. New files created online or on another device appear as online-only files, which dont take up space on your device. When youre connected to the Internet, youll be able to use the files like every other file on your device.

Youll know that Files On-Demand is turned on if you see the status icons next to your files in File Explorer:

Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Online-only files dont take up space on your computer. You see a cloud icon for each online-only file in File Explorer, but the file doesnt download to your device until you open it. You cant open online-only files when your device isnt connected to the Internet.

When you open an online-only file, it downloads to your device and becomes a locally available file. You can open a locally available file anytime, even without Internet access. If you need more space, you can change the file back to online. Just right-click the file and select Free up space.

Only files that you mark as Always keep on this device have the green circle with the white check mark. These files download to your device and take up space, but theyre always there for you even when youre offline.

See also: OneDrive Files On-Demand and Storage Sense for Windows 10 | Microsoft Office

Starting with Storage Sense picks up a new skill adding the ability to automatically make any downloaded Files On-Demand online-only if you havent used them in a certain number of days.

Starting with at least Windows 10 enabled) will automatically make any downloaded files from OneDrive Files On-Demand as online-only for all users.

*note Content flagged as Always keep on this device will not be affected.

This tutorial will show you how to specify when Storage Sense will make any downloaded OneDrive Files On-Demand online-only if they havent been used in a specified number of days for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for Current User in Settings
    • Option Two: Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for Current User in Registry Editor
    • Option Three: Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for All Users in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Storage on the left side, and click/tap on the Configure Storage Sense or run it now link under Storage on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Under the Locally available cloud content section, select Never, 1 day, 14 days, 30 days (default), or 60 days in the OneDrive drop menu for what you want. (see screenshot below)

*note This setting will only be available if you have OneDrive Files On-Demand turned on.

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for Current User in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StorageSense\Parameters\StoragePolicy\OneDrive!S-1-5-21-788078031-2691013130-2060433956-1001!Personal|901DDE64673783B7!132

*note The part highlighted in red in the key above will be unique for each user. It is the SID of the current user.

*note This registry key will only be available if you made a change using Option One at least one time.

3. Do step 4 (Never) or step 5 (specify days) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Never "Make cloud files online-only if you haven't used them" for Current User
    A) In the right pane of the OneDrive!SID!Personal|901DDE64673783B7!132 key, double click/tap on the 02 DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Type 0 (number), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

C) In the right pane of the OneDrive!SID!Personal|901DDE64673783B7!132 key, double click/tap on the 128 DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

D) Type 0 (number), click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To "Make cloud files online-only if you haven't used them in" Specified Days for Current User
    A) In the right pane of the OneDrive!SID!Personal|901DDE64673783B7!132 key, double click/tap on the 02 DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Type 1, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

C) In the right pane of the OneDrive!SID!Personal|901DDE64673783B7!132 key, double click/tap on the 128 DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

D) Select (dot) Decimal, type 1, 14, 30 (default), or 60 for how many days you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note This option is only available starting with at least Windows 10 build 18282.

You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option

If specified, this option will override Option One and Option Two for all users on the computer.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Storage Sense

3. In the right pane of Storage Sense in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure Storage Cloud Content dehydration threshold policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (specify) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, enter a number between 0 to 365 for how may days you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Entering 0 will be for never.

6. Default User Choice for when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for All Users in Registry Editor
    *note This option is only available starting with at least Windows 10 build 18282.

You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option

If specified, this option will override Option One and Option Two for all users on the computer.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\StorageSense

*note If you do not have the StorageSense key, right click on the Windows key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type StorageSense for the name, and press Enter.

3. Do step 4 (specify) or step 5 (default) below for what you want to do.

4. To Specify when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only for All Users
    A) In the right pane of the StorageSense key, double click/tap on the ConfigStorageSenseCloudContentDehydrationThreshold DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

*note If you do not have a ConfigStorageSenseCloudContentDehydrationThreshold DWORD, right click on an empty area in the right pane of the StorageSense key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type ConfigStorageSenseCloudContentDehydrationThreshold for the name, and press Enter.

B) Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number between 0 to 365 for how may days you want, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Entering 0 will be for never.

5. Default User Choice for when Storage Sense Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only
    A) In the right pane of the StorageSense key, right click on the ConfigStorageSenseCloudContentDehydrationThreshold DWORD, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 5, 2018

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
  3. S.D.K Win User
    File History & OneDrive on Demand

I know that "files on demand" aren't saved on my computer. However, I still have the following problems:

• After starting a new File History backup from scratch (as suggested in the first response) the majority of my Onedrive , including almost all files that are marked as "Always Keep on this Device" are not backed up.
    • Even for files marked as "Files on Demand" - surely File History should be able to back them up anyway? The whole point of a good backup system is that you have copies of files in multiple places (and OneDrive's cloud system only counts as 1). The creation
      of the file history would be download heavy as it copies every file to my backup device, but after that it should only have to download single files as changes are made.

S.D.K, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

5a5d6cb6-7934-4184-8f8b-e1d16573aa87, Oct 27, 2019
  5. P4-630 Win User
    OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync - MSPoweruser

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

1. Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Automatically OneDrive Files

2. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  3. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working: I use OneDrive on several devices, all of which work as intended, apart from one, my Surface Go 2 with W10. Files-On-Demand is checked in settings, but it constantly attempts to download everything until the disk is full. Free up space briefly works, but then the removed...
  4. OneDrive Files-On-Demand not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I want to use OneDrive only on demand and only for certain files.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to use OneDrive only on demand and only for certain files.: I have a small handful of files that I store in OneDrive for access from multiple devices. I need to be able to access those files from my computer. But I do not want everything on my computer backed up to OneDrive. I don't want to disable OneDrive completely because I do...
  6. OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails

OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails: When "Files on demand" is enabled, I can't see the file thumbnails in folders inside OneDrive, even if the file is actually downloaded. How can I fix this?...
  7. Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive

Turning on "Files on Demand" in OneDrive: Hi I've just read a useful article on the "Files on Demand" feature of OneDrive: https://www.brucebnews.com/2017/11/the-confusing-story-of-onedrive-files-on-demand-2/ It instructs me to "Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar and click on Settings" to get the...
  8. OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive's Files On-Demand not working?: Hello, So I just clean installed the Fall Creators Update without any problems. I wanted to try out the OneDrive's File On-Demand feature. I noticed that I had to update OneDrive manually for that feature option to appear in OneDrive's Settings so I got the update from...
  9. OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive Files On-Demand For The Enterprise: OneDrive Files On-Demand has been designed from the ground up for enterprises. Files On-Demand leverages the Windows Fall Creators update to simplify the user experience with cloud storage and sync, bring the power of the cloud into Windows File Explorer, and dramatically...
  10. Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 At Build 2017, Joe Belfiore announced that the new OneDrive Files On-Demand feature will be delivered with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update....