Windows 10: Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows

Discus and support Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows How to Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows

How to: Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows

How to Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows

Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows [​IMG]
    Information When you connect an Ethernet cable to a Windows PC which is already connected to a Wi-Fi network, Windows will automatically use the Ethernet connection by default instead of the Wi-Fi network. However, Windows does not automatically turn off the Wi-Fi connection when you connect an Ethernet cable. By defailt, you would need to manually turn off the Wi-Fi if you wanted to save power and/or battery life.

If supported by the driver of your wireless network adapter, you may be able to enable the "Disable Upon Wired Connect" setting to have Windows automatically turn off Wi-Fi when you connect an Ethernet cable. When you unplug the Ethernet cable, Wi-Fi will automatically be turned back on.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable to automatically turn off Wi-Fi when you connect an Ethernet cable to your Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the "Disable Upon Wired Connect" setting.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type ncpa.cpl into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Network Connections.

2. Right click or press and hold on your wireless network adapter (ex: "Wi-Fi"), and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Configure button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Advanced tab, select the Disable Upon Wired Connect property, select Enabled or Disabled (default) in the Value drop down for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Network Connections if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 30, 2017
  2. johnny234 Win User

Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Oct 26, 2019
  3. jj2016 Win User
    Wi-Fi Is Not Connecting Automatically

Every time I started my computer, my wi-fi adapter would connect to the wi-fi network automatically. But now, I have to enter the password and connect manually every time I login to my computer. Even if I check "Connect Automatically" it doesn't help.

Tried the following, still isn't working.

Fix: Windows 10 will not connect to WIFI Automatically - Appuals.com

jj2016, Oct 26, 2019
  4. lasot Win User

How to indicate wi-fi connection on taskbar/desktop with ethernet on

Below you can find my original post from 2 days ago. Since I got 0 responses, I don't think it's possible to set WIndows 10 the way I wanted. I've decided to change my question:

Is there a way to see if the computer is connected to a wi-fi network while the ethernet cable is also plugged in, without having to click on the cable network icon on the taskbar? I first wanted to switch the cable icon to the wi-fi one, but as it doesn't seem possible, maybe there is a way to create some indicating icon on the desktop? Running some external program that would display an additional wi-fi icon on the taskbar? Or any other solution?

original post:

Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I've had a Windows 10 desktop computer for several days now. I have two different internet connections (one is through an ethernet cable, and the other one is wireless) and I usually use both of them simultaneously. I play an online game and I need these two connections to be active at the same time. The ethernet connection is my primary one and the wireless one is kind of an "emergency" connection. The ethernet adapter has a priority over the wi-fi adapter (seems to be a default system setting and I want it this way). The ethernet connection sometimes disconnects at random times, so if it happens I just unplug the cable and reconnect through the wireless connection until I see that the first one has reconnected. I can't find any way to achieve the following:

While both connections (ethernet and wi-fi) are active, I want to see the wi-fi network icon on my taskbar, instead of the ethernet icon.

This was perfectly possible on my old laptop with Windows 7, which I was using until I bought the new desktop computer. The ethernet adapter had a priority over the wi-fi, just like now. The ethernet cable was always plugged in and by default, the cable network icon was shown on the taskbar. But when I connected to my wi-fi network at the same time, the icon changed to the wi-fi symbol. Both connections were working properly and the transfer was through the ethernet connection, although the wi-fi icon was shown as long as the wireless connection was active. It was much more comfortable for me that way, because I didn't have to make sure that the computer was properly connected via wi-fi, just one look at the icon was enough. But on the new computer, the ethernet icon is displayed even with a wi-fi connection active. It only switches to the wi-fi icon when I unplug the ethernet cable, but ethernet is my primary connection, so I don't wanna do that.

I would really appreciate if anybody could help me set my new computer up in a similar way. Here is some additional information:

I know that in Windows 7, by default, wireless connections had priority over ethernet, so I had to manually change the metrics (I hope it's called that way in English) of my network adapters in my old laptop to give priority to the wired connection. In Windows 10, as it seems, wired connections are prioritized, so I didn't have to change the metrics of the adapters.

The WIN7 laptop I used before had a built-in wi-fi adapter, but my new desktop doesn't have one. I bought a TP Link USB wi-fi adapter which was installed automatically and the connection is working properly. But maybe the fact that it's not a built-in adapter matters? Or perhaps it could be a question of the adapter's drivers? I'm not an expert, but I think it's more likely caused by the system itself than by the drivers or the hardware.

Is anybody able to get what I want to get (a wi-fi icon displayed on the taskbar with both ethernet and wi-fi connections active) with a built-in wi-fi adapter?

lasot, Oct 26, 2019
  5. lasot Win User
    How to indicate wi-fi connection on taskbar/desktop with ethernet on

Using 'Select which icons appear...' I'm only able to toggle this one network icon. And it switches from wired to wireless, depending on whether the ethernet cable is plugged in.

Of course, the info is there, I just got used to not having to click on the icon. I always just looked at the corner of the screen every few minutes to make sure the wi-fi was still connected and ready in case my wired connection failed.

It's just strange for me that in the same scenario (ethernet connection + wi-fi active), Windows 7 would show the wireless icon (and it wasn't possible to change it either AFAIK), and Windows 10 shows the other one *sarc

Oh well, it's not the end of the world if it's impossible to change it, but any other suggestions on how to display the wi-fi state on the taskbar (or desktop) are still welcome.

lasot, Oct 26, 2019
  6. rypz79 Win User
    Windows 10 doesn't connect automatically to a Wi-Fi network

Hi,

I have a little problem.
    Every time I boot my laptop (or restart it) I need to manually connect to a Wi-Fi network thought I've checked the "connect automatically" box.

I tried to "forget" and reconnect to that network and still got the same result after a boot/restart.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you

rypz79, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Automatically Turn Off Wi-Fi Upon Ethernet Connect in Windows - Similar Threads - Automatically Turn Off

2. Wi-Fi not connected automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi not connected automatically: My PC is wirelessly connected to the wifi. I am using Windows 10 20H2, however, it no longer automatically connects when I restart or boot my compmuter. Can anyone help me with this? Thank yo...
  3. Wi-Fi not connected automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi not connected automatically: My PC is wirelessly connected to the wifi. I am using Windows 10 20H2, however, it no longer automatically connects when I restart or boot my compmuter. Can anyone help me with this? Thank yo...
  4. Wi-Fi not connected automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?

Wi-Fi masquerading as an Ethernet Connection?: Hi all, Newbie here. After new PC arrived and was through all the setup, I ended up with an ethernet connection that appears to be named after one of my Wi-Fi connections. Everything works fine, but I would like to know how to fix/change this. Attaching a pic. Red arrow...
  6. Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi: Hi there I have an Ethernet cable attached to my PC but also want the Wi-Fi connected too as a back etc. but every time I Connect to Wi-Fi it says unable to connect to network. Now the Ethernet is connected no problem and my wife's computer is connected to Wi-Fi no issues,...
  7. Wi-Fi connects automatically

Wi-Fi connects automatically: I had yesterday updated to Windows 10 Pro 1903 and the problem was that I used the ALFA adapter to strengthen the WiFi but after the update i got the WiFi computer that automatically communicates with the ALFA and when i disconnect the WiFi device also disconnect the ALFA...
  8. WI-FI turn off

WI-FI turn off: HI how can Iturn on The WI-FI on my laptop HP Pavilion dv6929nr Notebook PC? iput the Network security ey ,but ican't connect to the wi fiItroubleshooting ,a red Xsay that i have not preferret wireless network, Idon't know how this is hapen,is work good with the etherne...
  9. Automatic Connection To Wi-Fi

Automatic Connection To Wi-Fi: When my PC wakes up, the Wi-Fi connects automatically even though “Connect automatically when in range” is off. This happens even if the PC was disconnected from the Wi-Fi before it went into sleep mode. How can the automatic connection be stopped?...
  10. Wi-Fi Is Not Connecting Automatically

Wi-Fi Is Not Connecting Automatically: Every time I started my computer, my wi-fi adapter would connect to the wi-fi network automatically. But now, I have to enter the password and connect manually every time I login to my computer. Even if I check "Connect Automatically" it doesn't help. Tried the following,...