Windows 10: Autoplay keeps pops up constantly for USB hub

Discus and support Autoplay keeps pops up constantly for USB hub in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A friend's laptop recently got upgraded to W10. Since that, an autoplay box has been popping up constantly in reference to an H: or I: drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by avoidz, Jun 27, 2016.

1. avoidz Win User

Autoplay keeps pops up constantly for USB hub

A friend's laptop recently got upgraded to W10. Since that, an autoplay box has been popping up constantly in reference to an H: or I: drive. Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB hub attached to the laptop stops the message box, but on next boot it comes up again.

I've tried disabling power saving in Device Manager to no effect. Uninstalled the hub device there too and let Windows reinstall it; still no effect.

Anyone have an idea what's causing this? Cheers *Smile

:)

avoidz, Jun 27, 2016
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

File Explorer opens at startup

Hi Ellis,

The AutoPlay settings can be changed to manage the behavior of your computer whenever it detects that a new external drive or memory card has been connected. Here are the steps to do so:

• Click Start.
    • Type AutoPlay Settings and press Enter.
    • Under Choose AutoPlay defaults, select the option you want for removable drives and memory cards.
    For example, if you plug a USB drive to your computer and the AutoPlay pop-up appears, then the AutoPlay default is set to
    Ask me every time. If you choose Take no action, then this pop-up won't show up anymore. If it's set to
    Open folder to view files (File Explorer), then a File Explorer window will automatically open up each time you plug in a USB drive.

Let us know if you need more help with the AutoPlay settings on your computer.

Yolvi Ell, Jun 27, 2016
  3. jj151201 Win User
    6700 classic...what on earth happened??

no it never helped, keep getting the autoplay box popping up (and the previous box i mentioned earlier), but dont know which box to tick or how to set autoplay in control panel, the autoplay box offers device options

sync digital media files to this device

open device to view files

import pictures

picassa2

jj151201, Jun 27, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

There are two possible causes for this, assuming that the USB hub is not faulty.

First is the type of the hub, if it has external power source or not. My HP laptop can provide connected USB 3 external disk enough power for it to work effortless and without issues but problems start if I connect a hub without external power source to laptop's USB 3 port, then connect two external drives to this hub. Power the laptop can provide to hub is just enough but so close to the limits that the hub disconnects and reconnects all the time.

Another possible cause can be selective suspend, if it's enabled. On my laptops I disable it when plugged to external power source, enabling only when on battery power.

Autoplay keeps pops up constantly for USB hub [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

5. avoidz Win User
    Thanks, Kari. The hub is powered only by the laptop itself, and has USB speakers and a printer cable attached usually, with flash drives connected/disconnected occasionally. On Windows 8 there didn't seem to be any problem.

I'll check the USB selective suspend setting and see what happens.

Cheers *Smile

avoidz, Jun 29, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    The selective suspend is by default enabled, that is quite often the reason why for instance external hard disks constantly disconnect / reconnect.

7. avoidz Win User
    Hi Kari, I changed that setting and so far nothing has popped up unexpectedly from Windows 10's Autoplay.

So thanks, I think that fixed it *Smile

avoidz, Jul 2, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Nice! You are welcome, thanks for coming back to share the news.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Autoplay keeps pops up constantly for USB hub - Similar Threads - Autoplay keeps pops

2. Powershell constantly pops up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell constantly pops up: When I close it, it opens back up few minutes later. When I don't, multiple of them open nonstop. Sometimes it opens then closes immediately. Scanned for viruses several times, none. Checked other solutions checking startup folders and on task manager, etc. Nothing is...
  3. Powershell constantly pops up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell constantly pops up: When I close it, it opens back up few minutes later. When I don't, multiple of them open nonstop. Sometimes it opens then closes immediately. Scanned for viruses several times, none. Checked other solutions checking startup folders and on task manager, etc. Nothing is...
  4. USB device not recognised keeps popping up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB device not recognised keeps popping up: My PC keeps spamming the message "USB device not recognised" every couple seconds despite me having no devices plugged into my PC. I've tried reinstalling my drivers and uninstalling the troublesome driver but it just reappears a few seconds later.Here's what event viewer...
  5. USB device not recognised keeps popping up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB device not recognised keeps popping up: My PC keeps spamming the message "USB device not recognised" every couple seconds despite me having no devices plugged into my PC. I've tried reinstalling my drivers and uninstalling the troublesome driver but it just reappears a few seconds later.Here's what event viewer...
  6. USB device not recognised keeps popping up

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Cortana constantly popping up

in Cortana
    Cortana constantly popping up: hello my laptop is running windows 10 and out of no where a box keeps popping up for Cortana. i am sick of it constantly popping up. i signed in thinking this would stop it but has not. i am at my wits ends to sort it. doesnt anyone know how to stop when your not clicking...
  8. Cortana constantly popping up

in Cortana
    Cortana constantly popping up: I see this problem and its "solutions," which always seem to involve disarming some of the touchpad. I don't use my touchpad and have it turned off. I have never had this particular problem until I did a reinstall of Win 10. Sometimes happens 4-5 times a minute. Obviously...
  9. usb autoplay

in Windows 10 Customization
    usb autoplay: When I plug in a USB or external drive the autoplay does not open an explorer the way it used to. The auto run/auto play settings have not changed-what's wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-autoplay/46e56627-36cf-4c2f-b32c-cb58df49e7bf
  10. "USB device not recognized" keeps popping up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "USB device not recognized" keeps popping up: This error message started popping up after starting my computer after it was asleep. Prior to this it was fine. I did not plug in any new USB devices. All I have plugged in is my mouse and keyboard. After unplugging both keyboard and mouse the message stops. I tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does autoplay pop up anytime I restart my computer