Windows 10: AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro

Discus and support AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 PRO. AutoPlay isn't working in Windows 10. The SETTINGS|DEVICES menu has it turned ON. In Control Panel, it's turned on and configured... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by borgus, Oct 6, 2015.

1. borgus Win User

AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro

Windows 10 PRO.

AutoPlay isn't working in Windows 10.
    The SETTINGS|DEVICES menu has it turned ON.
    In Control Panel, it's turned on and configured to PLAY a CD.
    It's not disabled in the Group Policy editor.
    Neither of the two optical drives (a CD and DVD) will auto play either file type in Windows Media Player or MPC.

An MS level I tech made this statement:

"For this issue you can download Windows DVD Player available in the Store. Since WMP and MPC can no longer support CD / DVD autoplay."

While I understand that there's no native DVD player in Win 10, it strikes me that auto play should function nonetheless - using the default CD or DVD app. Or is the Windows tech correct?

Can someone confirm this, and suggest what other measures might enable AP, please. All forum suggestions to this date have been tried.

:)

borgus, Oct 6, 2015

2. AutoPlay non-functional

I can confirm that autoplay doesn't work. I can't get my dell inspiron, which is fairly new, and working well in all other ways, to recognize my sony camera.

The Windows instructions say the autoplay window should pop up, but it doesn't. I found the settings (so hard to do these day) and made sure autoplay is turned on. The usb connection is good, in that it is charging my camera. I've tried multiple cables
    and ports.

The instructions say, if autoplay doesn't work, to connect manually by clicking start, then "computer" from the menu, however, "computer" isn't an option in the menu.

So, I look around, lost in the crazy new microsoft menu system, for anyway to see my camera, or to see a way to try to connect. So far, nothing.

Can I get xp back?

themobiledan, Oct 6, 2015
  3. borate Win User
    AutoPlay non-functional

RESOLVED via a system rebuild. No clue as to why it was failing.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, RESTORE DEFAULTS has been tested. This resets all to "choose a default."

"Ask me every time" (for a CD, in this test) does nothing. No Prompt.

"Shellhwdetection" responds "the requested service has already been started."

SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION is set to "automatic" and is running.

AutoPlay works fine for memory card insertion, but not for optical drives.

Could the statement that the MS Level I tech made be true: "For this issue you can download Windows DVD Player available in the Store. Since WMP and MPC can no longer support CD / DVD autoplay."

borate, Oct 6, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

You can choose auto play behavior from the Control Panel. You can set any program you like to load when you insert an audio CD, a movie DVD or a DVD-ROM. You can also define auto play when you connect a USB flash drive. I normally load the classic Control Panel and then go to AutoPlay but here is how you do it the modern way: Click on the start button at left bottom of the screen and then click on Settings. Now select Devices. From the list on the left select Autoplay. Make sure the Use Autoplay on all media and devices is switched on. But this is not enough for an advanced user like me. So click on the search button on the taskbar and type Control. This will give you the classic Control Panel, click it to go there. Change view by large icons on top right to see all controls. Click on Autoplay. Now you have access to all devices and media, so you can set audio CDs to open with Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic. Change whatever else you like. To make a program default for every type it can open, go to classic Control Panel again and click on Default Programs. Then choose the first option and proceed.

spapakons, Oct 6, 2015
  5. borgus Win User
    Thanks for the feedback. Does AutoPlay work for you on optical drives, using WMP or a third-party player? Here's more...

RESTORE DEFAULTS has been tested. This resets all to "choose a default."

"Ask me every time" (for a CD, in this test) does nothing. No Prompt.

"Shellhwdetection" responds "the requested service has already been started."

SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION is set to "automatic" and is running.

AutoPlay works fine for memory card insertion, but not for optical drives.

Could the statement that the MS Level I tech made be true: "For this issue you can download Windows DVD Player available in the Store. Since WMP and MPC can no longer support CD / DVD autoplay."

Does optical drive AP work for anyone?

borgus, Oct 6, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Using Autoplay from the Classic Control Panel you can explicitly set an audio CD to launch Windows Media Player or whatever other software you have installed. Or you can set it to ask every time. Also if you insert an audio CD and doesn't start automatically, go to This Computer and right click to get the list. In the Open With you can configure to always open with that application.

spapakons, Oct 6, 2015
  7. borgus Win User
    That's the way it should work, but it does not. AP is set to open audio CDs with MPC (also tested WMP).

Audio CDs are also associated with one or the other of those utils, which opens them and plays - MANUALLY - when the appropriate audio file is clicked. But the media players do nothing when a CD (or DVD) is inserted into the optical drive/s. Choose the "ask me" option instead in AP and it will not appear when a disk is inserted.

It's AP that isn't working on optical drives, using WMP or 3rd-party players. MS hints that it would work if the new Win10 store-bought player is installed ($1.99). ShellHardwareDetection is obviously active as AutoPlay does function as it should with a removable media card.

borgus, Oct 6, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Is the Use Autoplay for all media and devices checked at the top? Have you scroll down to the bottom and changes action for Audio CD? Have you tried the other method, that is to insert and Audio CD, right-click on the icon in This Computer, Open with and then choose default program?

spapakons, Oct 6, 2015
  9. borgus Win User
    RESOLVED via a system rebuild. No clue as to why it was failing.

Yes "all" is checked. Yes, tested several actions for CD/DVD. "Ask" does nothing. "Open in File Manager" succeeds. Mounting a media (picture) card succeeds as does plugging in a USB tablet, so that pretty much hints that AutoPlay is functional - just not with media insertion on an optical drive.

OPEN WITH is indeed associated with WMPlayer or, alternatively, MPC-HC. Neither does anything automatically, but they work well when launched manually by the associated file type (VOB, Mp3, wav, etc.)

borgus, Oct 7, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Cannot suggest anything more, sorry

spapakons, Oct 7, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
  12. borgus Win User
    That's a comprehensive article, Dalchina - if a bit dated. There are no "no drive" entries in the registry, which the text indicates is normal if they haven't been changed from the default.

Has anyone actually tested whether AP works in Windows 10 when a CD or DVD is inserted? Please report your results.

borgus, Oct 7, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, yes, if you set up the default action in Control Panel, Autoplay for it.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2015
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hmm, well, I'll qualify that (I don't use autoplay and haven't for years).
    1. Explorer opens if I specify that.
    2. Zoom player opens if I specify that, but no media is loaded...
    3. If I specify 'ask me every time' - nothing happens.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2015
  15. jmikef Win User
    Auto play does not work for my optical drive - no matter what type of media I use. This seems to be an issue for many folks. I've exhausted every possible solution to no avail. My system does recognize a USB drive perfectly, and opens Explorer - that's the option I selected. This is a real head scratcher.

jmikef, Jan 9, 2016
Thema:

1. AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro - Similar Threads - AutoPlay non functional

2. Windows 10 Pro AutoPlay Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Pro AutoPlay Not Working: I can plug anything into any of the 4 USB ports and appears to have power. However nothing ever happens and devices never shop up under autoplay. I have installed and reinstalled all of the drivers. Is there a special security setting or something I am not seeing? Doesnt work...
  3. win 10 pro save as function to desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    win 10 pro save as function to desktop: I am not able to use the "save as" function in word or excel in saving a changed file to my desktop. Uninstalled all antivirus software so this is not an issue. I do have an older version of office but it worked quite nicely until a month ago. submitted by /u/Phil_567...
  4. Win 10 autoplay

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 autoplay: I want C:\Program Files x86\FastStone Image Viewer\FSViewer.exe to open when I connect the LG phone. Can I do a registry mod to accomplish this? Thanks, Terry Ryan [ATTACH]...
  5. BITLOCKER AUTOPLAY WINDOWS 10 PRO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BITLOCKER AUTOPLAY WINDOWS 10 PRO: Is there any way that when I plugged in an encrypted USB drive that the password prompt is automaticlly displayed? At this time when I plug in my device I get a blank File Explorer "Location is not available" windows and message that "G:\ is not accessible. Access is...
  6. USB non-functional after initial Win 10 boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB non-functional after initial Win 10 boot: I have been wrestling with this problem for the last month. I have: Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard (v1.0) 16 GB RAM EVGA NVidia GT 1030 Video card. 1 TB SSD (Crucial) 1 TB WD hard drive Originally this box was running Win 7 Ultimate. When I first tried to upgrade...
  7. can't get autoplay to function properly

can't get autoplay to function properly: purchased a lenovo330 laptop 4 days ago windows 10 v18...; can't get autoplay to function properly. after inserting disc in cd rom, have to use the d:/ command to get the disc to play. have itunes selected as the default app for music....
  8. Win 10 and Edge Sync settings non-functional

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 and Edge Sync settings non-functional: On a fresh installed system, I am having problems getting Win10 and Edge to sync with my other PCs. I first became aware of the problem when I observed that Edge favorites were not syncing. Hadn't yet with this install in fact. I checked to make sure the proper setting was...
  9. Storage Spaces function in Win 10 Pro

Storage Spaces function in Win 10 Pro: Hi Guys.. Been reading about Storage Spaces. All the examples use only 1 HDD....Can SS work with multiple HDD as primary, I mean I have 8 Hard Drives. I understand the pool concept, will the Mirror function mirror all 8 drives... How would one do this? All the examples...
  10. Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro: I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro 64bit from Win 8.1 Pro 64bit with Media Center (in place upgrade). When I plug in a USB device I no notification pops up and there's no way of getting it to show the 'what do you want to do' menu. The problem is described with images...