Windows 10: available networks not showing up

Discus and support available networks not showing up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm just having an issue with finding networks. Basically, the available networks for wifi are not showing up, even when I click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by techluv, Sep 20, 2017.

1. techluv Win User

available networks not showing up

Hello everyone,

I'm just having an issue with finding networks. Basically, the available networks for wifi are not showing up, even when I click on the wifi button at the bottom right of the screen. It still connects, but only to known networks. I can't find any other networks to join. I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10, and I am just so confused. Please help.

:)

techluv, Sep 20, 2017

2. Available wifi networks not showing up, windows search not working and start menu doesnt update with installed apps

My laptop has recently started giving me this problem where I'm connected to WiFi networks but whenever i click on the WiFi option to see the list of available networks,nothing shows up.So, in order to switch between multiple WiFi networks i need to go
    into command prompt and use command lines to switch between networks.Also the windows search doesnt work,whenever i try to search for a file, it just stays blank. Start menu also doesnt update with recent installed apps. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

raghu varenya, Sep 20, 2017
  3. Available wifi networks not showing up, windows search not working and start menu doesnt update with installed apps

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down

Click Network adapters

Click Run the Troubleshooter

When complete, restart to see if the problem is resolved.

If not, press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Network adapters

Right click your adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart. Windows 10 should detect the network adapter then reinstall it. Check if you can connect and browse.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 20, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Open a CMD prompt then type

netsh wlan show networks

Samuria, Sep 20, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    Are you trying to connect to your own network and do you have the SSID hidden? You can go to a Command Window and run netsh wlan show all.

bro67, Sep 20, 2017
  6. techluv Win User
    I am not currently trying to find my own network. I just need it to connect to my college's wifi. The only problem is that the network list just keeps loading and loading, with nothing coming up. Also, is it possible to connect from the wifi networks listed in the command prompt?

techluv, Sep 20, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I've seen that in a business [a motel and a large campground] and it was caused by too-weak of a signal between the computer/s and the Wireless Router, solved by adding a Repeater/Extender. However, that may not be a choice of your college's IT department. If the location of the Router could be determined it might be possible to walk a Notebook closer to it to check.

Berton, Sep 20, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

I noticed your also running Linux Have you tried connecting with that.

How old is your WiFi card/USB, If it's too old it probably will not have the right protocol to connect.

sml156, Sep 20, 2017
  9. techluv Win User
    Alright I'll try that. Thanks

techluv, Sep 20, 2017
  10. Please also ensure under the Wireless setting in advance power mgmt that you have the power set to max for both plugged in and on battery. Advance Power mgmt options are found through Windows Settings, System, Power and sleep, then additional settings upper right, then click on change plan for the plan you are using, then change advance in the lower left.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 21, 2017
  11. Samuria Win User
    To connect via cmd line type

netsh wlan connect name=HANSELMAN-N change name to the name of your network

Samuria, Sep 21, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    If you are trying to connect to your college's WIFI, open up a Command Window and type in netsh wlan show all and see if their SSID shows up. Otherwise contact your College IT dept and explain to them what is going on or take you laptop to them and let them show you how to fix the issue. You can try to connect to what pop's up, but if it is not Public and has a Passphrase, you cannot use it and it would not be for your College.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. available networks not showing up - Similar Threads - available networks showing

2. Computer available but not showing up in network folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer available but not showing up in network folder: We have a small office network with 18 computers and we need to reach each others folders every day, the problem is not every pc is showing up in the network folder but they are still available if I type the adress I can find it but it's really inconvenient. We are using...
  3. Computer available but not showing up in network folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer available but not showing up in network folder: We have a small office network with 18 computers and we need to reach each others folders every day, the problem is not every pc is showing up in the network folder but they are still available if I type the adress I can find it but it's really inconvenient. We are using...
  4. Wifi network doesn't show up in Available Networks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi network doesn't show up in Available Networks: I'm trying to connect to my Wifi at home, except the network doesn't show up on the list of available networks to connect to. My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad Z510 running Windows 10 Pro, version 22H2, OS Build 19045.3031. The network is there, and it works just fine, on my phone...
  5. Wifi network doesn't show up in Available Networks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi network doesn't show up in Available Networks: I'm trying to connect to my Wifi at home, except the network doesn't show up on the list of available networks to connect to. My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad Z510 running Windows 10 Pro, version 22H2, OS Build 19045.3031. The network is there, and it works just fine, on my phone...
  6. Wifi network doesn't show up in Available Networks

7. WiFi not showing up on available network list...

WiFi not showing up on available network list...: I have done the appropriate troubleshooting and updated my computer, Dell, Windows 10, rebooted everything... Consistently, I am not getting my router to show up on available networks. I have a dozen or so other devices and computer on wifi now and my computer works on all...
  8. Available Wifi networks don't show up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Available Wifi networks don't show up: [ATTACH] Hi all, The problem is, hopefully, quite minor (but since I'd wanted to add two images, I decided to make a post instead of posting to the thread). Whenever I press the network logo in my taskbar, all available networks come up for about three seconds and then...
  9. My Wifi not showing up on available networks

My Wifi not showing up on available networks: Hi, For some reason my Wifi is not showing up on available networks on my laptop, i can see other networks but not mine. I have restarted the router and can connect to it via my mobile and so can my family members on there laptop (wireless) so there is no issue with the...
  10. Wifi network not showing up in list of available networks

Wifi network not showing up in list of available networks: One of my family members recently gave me a factory-reset Toshiba laptop. When I try to connect it to my house's wifi network, the network does not show up in the list of available networks. Any idea what's causing this, or how to fix it?...