Windows 10: Avast and SyncBack Free

Discus and support Avast and SyncBack Free in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Upgraded to Windows 10 on all of my systems (desktop, laptop, tablet) and have been using Avast Free as my antivirus software. No problem until today... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tomel, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Tomel Win User

Avast and SyncBack Free

Upgraded to Windows 10 on all of my systems (desktop, laptop, tablet) and have been using Avast Free as my antivirus software. No problem until today (9/16/2015) when Avast reported SyncBack Free as Malware and moved it to quarantine. Downloaded most recent version from 2BrightSparks site and installed (or tried to) -- same problem. Finally had to put SyncBack Free folder as an exclusion in Avast.

Anyone else having this problem? I saw that same problem occurred several years ago and was apparently resolved.

:)

Tomel, Sep 15, 2015

2. Do i need to back up my laptop before upgrading to windows 10 or are all my files safe when i upgrade

Regardless whether you're upgrading Windows or not you should always be backing up your data. A software or hardware failure could happen at any time and you don't want to realize this when it's too late. I mirror my data to an external drive everyday.
    Initial backup takes dome time but everyday after that it backs up only this files that are new or have changed and takes only minutes! I use Syncback SE and it's great. The Best Backup Software For Windows: SyncBack

ShannonEdds, Sep 15, 2015
  3. Jsssssssss, Sep 15, 2015
  4. ARC1020 Win User

Avast and SyncBack Free

I don't know the answer to your question, however oddly enough a few weeks ago I noticed that SyncBackFree (V7.3.3.6) was taking a long time to open on two separate Windows 8.1 machines. I've never had a problem before, so I looked to see what was causing it and MsMpEng (Windows Defender) was scanning it everytime I opened it. It seems to open fine now, but presumably there was/is something happening that the AV's aren't sure about.

Odd that two different AV's on different machines have suddenly started being wary of it around the same time. I've used SyncBack for years and the only issue I've ever had in the past was DEP mitigation warnings in EMET (which 2brightsparks have since fixed).

Virus Total shows it as OK too, so I'm not sure what's going on.
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a...0cad/analysis/

ARC1020, Sep 15, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    Avast marked AIMP4 as a virus for me. They must have had an issue with a Dat file.

6. I have just registered with this forum now, because the problems described in this thread are not currently found elsewhere via Google Search.

My problems is basically, everything was working OK for me until today (16-Sep-2015 11:00 PM approx) when Avast (free edition) - virus definitions version 150916-2 (program version 10.3.2225) reported 2BrightSparks\SyncBackupFree was a trojan and moved C:\Program Files (x86)\2BrightSparks\SyncBackFree\SynBackFree.exe to Quarantine (Virus Chest) and then recommended a boot time scan. The boot time scan then reported C:\Program Files (x86)\2BrightSparks\SyncBackFree\RemBlankPwd.exe as a virus and also removed this file to Quarantine (Virus Chest).
    Avast (free edition) reports both these files as being infected with Win32:Banker-MCG [Trj].

What is happening here?

Regards - Mark

P.S. I understand this is a Windows 10 forum, and I am but a mere Windows 7 user, but a description of this problem has not been found elsewhere today.

AboutUtila, Sep 16, 2015
  7. Tomel Win User
    Tomel, Sep 16, 2015
  8. Avast and SyncBack Free

It would appear that Avast Virus Definitions 17-Sep-2015 Version 150917-3 no longer reports a Win32:Banker-MCG [Trj] in 2BrightSparks\SyncBackupFree and I have been able to reinstall the program and operate as normal.

AboutUtila, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Avast and SyncBack Free

1. Avast and SyncBack Free - Similar Threads - Avast SyncBack Free

2. Any reason to upgrade from SyncBack Free to Pro version?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Any reason to upgrade from SyncBack Free to Pro version?: What is Pro version offering that is worth upgrading from Free? I have seen compare lists, but not sure, what are major differences (being new user). So far, I have found that Free version is not keeping Folder timestamps. 171027
  3. Any free alternative to Avast Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any free alternative to Avast Cleanup: I just need to boost my performance on my pc, so all I need is a free alternative to avast cleanup. Thank you submitted by /u/NetStreet [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i9s66q/any_free_alternative_to_avast_cleanup/
  4. uninstall avast free antivirus

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    uninstall avast free antivirus: I have windows 10. I recently uninstalled avast free antivirus. When I looked at windows defender firewall it stated it was under the control of avast and could not be activated. I done a search on C: and found many avast files remaining. I have used the avast removal tool...
  5. Downloading Avast Free Being Blocked ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Downloading Avast Free Being Blocked ?: Hello, Tried, several times, to download and install the free version of Avast. Thought it would be a good idea, even though I have Windows Defender running. Won't let me download it. Msg that: this filecouldn't be downloaded. Apparently, Windows Defender is blocking it....
  6. Cannot delete Free Avast AV

Cannot delete Free Avast AV: Hi I was installing a program, missed unticking the Free Avast Antivirus software, now its partly installed itself, i cannot delete it. Its not in my programs and features file, it's in my start menu. If I go to file try to delete it is says I don't have Admin rights, I'm...
  7. Cannot delete Free Avast AV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete Free Avast AV: Hi I was installing a program, missed unticking the Free Avast Antivirus software, now its partly installed itself, i cannot delete it. Its not in my programs and features file, it's in my start menu. If I go to file try to delete it is says I don't have Admin rights, I'm...
  8. How drive "AVAST Free Antivirus"

How drive "AVAST Free Antivirus": Hello All: Somehow a software named "Avast Free Antivirus" intruded into my w10. I go to Control Panel/Programms/Uninstall to Uninstall it BUT failed!! How can I drive it out of my pc? --- Zhao...
  9. Avast Free Problems on Laptop, Advice?

Avast Free Problems on Laptop, Advice?: Think i'll probably remove it tomorrow, and stick to Windows Defender, After doing clean install of Avast this afternoon, resulted in behavior shield not wanting to activate, tired of messing with it, fixing issues, updating, restarting, removing/reinstalling Will I be as...
  10. Windows Defender or Avast Free

Windows Defender or Avast Free: I currently have Avast free on Windows 10, defender is turned off. Has defender improved so I can remove 3rd party and go with defender. I am a low end user, I am on a lot but not doing anything that would be considered going to risky sites. 86333