Windows 10: AVG 2015 Free Doesn't Work?

Discus and support AVG 2015 Free Doesn't Work? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I read that AVG were bringing out updates, but when I upgraded to Windows 10, AVG no longer works or even loads up. Anyone got it working, or... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Gelbs, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Gelbs Win User

AVG 2015 Free Doesn't Work?

I read that AVG were bringing out updates, but when I upgraded to Windows 10, AVG no longer works or even loads up. Anyone got it working, or something?

:)

Gelbs, Aug 3, 2015

2. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081448). Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081449).

1. AVG 2015 and AVG PC TuneUp are both installed it seems. AVG PC Tuneup says the full performance is expired and only basic free elements work.

2. KB3074678 was installed on 8/6/2015.

PS: I think Vijay B vanished into thin air AVG 2015 Free Doesn't Work? :)

LauraFaulk, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Still can't open apps windows 10

I found my install for AVG 2015 and AVG tune up 2015 and when I try to install them here is the message I get: This app can't run on this PC. AVG 2014 or 2015 doesn't work on this version of windows. Also, my Western Digital backup, which has my entire
    computer backed up, will not install either. See how much fun I am having.

GaryLansford, Aug 3, 2015
  4. AVG 2015 Free Doesn't Work?

The upgrader probably disabled it. I'm surprised it didn't remove it. It removed my McAfee. You probably don't want it to work until it is upgraded for Windows 10 compatibility. Anti-virus scanners dig pretty deep into the OS and the registry. You do have anti-virus software, Defender. It is good protection until you have more Windows 10 compatible choices, or decide to just use Defender. That's what I have done.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 3, 2015
  5. elbmek Win User
    I have AVG Internet Suite 2015, perfectly working. I agree about the comments on defender, it will do the job.

edit: see my post #18, for update, noit happy!

elbmek, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Gelbs Win User
    Yeah. I've got Defender for now. AVG is still showing in my add/remove list, but it isn't actually working. Not too fussed though. Just wait until they sort it.

Gelbs, Aug 3, 2015
  7. elbmek Win User
    delete it, as its not serving any purpose, but its still lurking there. Do a search for a win 10 free AV too maybe? Avast maybe?

elbmek, Aug 3, 2015
  8. AveYo Win User

Funny how the first reply is about McAfee...
    Please don't use s**t AVs like AVG (forever incompatible with Steam and games) and McAfee (just a shadow of what it once was, now it is almost a fake AV!!!)
    Install Avira free, its better in every way! Here's a quick "set it and forget it" setup guide for it: Avira free antivirus setup guide - Album on Imgur

AveYo, Aug 3, 2015
  9. elbmek Win User
    The only AV I would call **** is Norton. Everything else is acccording to personal choice. One mans meat is another mans poison. I am no expert, just a customer like most of us, and my opinion is my own. My expertise is called experience.

My AVG suite has NEVER let me down - yet. MY last one, Kaspersky, did.

elbmek, Aug 3, 2015
  10. elbmek Win User
    The Windows 10 compatible security products include:
    • Avast Free Antivirus 10.3.2223
    • AVG Internet Security 2015.0.6110
    • Avira Antivirus Pro 15.0.11.579
    • Bitdefender Internet Security 18.23.0.1604
    • BullGuard Internet Security 15.1.307
    • Emsisoft Anti-Malware 10.0.0.5561
    • ESET Smart Security 8.0.319.0
    • Fortinet FortiClient 5.2.3.0633
    • F-Secure Internet Security 15.3
    • Kaspersky Internet Security 16.0.0.614
    • Panda Free Antivirus 15.01.00.0006
    • Quick Heal Total Security 16.00 (9.0.0.46)
    • Sophos Enpoint Security and Control 10.3.12.312
    • Tencent PC Manager 10.11.25856.501
    • ThreatTrack VIPRE Internet Security 8.2.1.16
    • Trend Micro Internet Security 10.0.1150

copied from: List of approved Windows 10 compatible security products

my malwarebytes is fully functional so is spybot

elbmek, Aug 3, 2015
  11. Hatem Win User
    Could mcafee be causing my internet not to work

Hatem, Aug 3, 2015
  12. AveYo Win User
    I've seen countless people having troubles gaming properly when having AVG installed.
    Don't take my word for it: Programs Which May Interfere With Steam
    AVG Anti-virus
    * We recommend that applications listed in bold with a ( * ) symbol are fully uninstalled from your system if disabling them does not resolve the issue

Plus, I've seen it first-hand on many infected systems over the years - the s**t is well deserved.
    Did I also mention it has low detection rate, high false positives rate, quite an intrusive, resource hog, ugly as s**t?

AveYo, Aug 3, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

I found that AVG is as good as any other AV tool out there.

BunnyJ, Aug 3, 2015
  14. Corelogik Win User
    Personally, I quit using AVG years ago when it got so bloated, it took 30 seconds to open from the system tray and tried to sell me everything under the sun when it finally did open.

I have used 'security essentials', Defenders predecessor, on my PC's for years with a little added protection from Malwarebytes.

That combination has never let me down and the programs combined are more lightweight than AVG was alone.

If you use that combo, Defender & Malwarebytes, and practice good habits, it should be more than sufficient for 99.99% of your 'Anti-Virus/Malware' needs.

With the bonus that it won't bog down your system, take over critical functions like internet connection, or try to force you to 'upgrade' every 5 seconds by forcing annoying, over large ads in your face.

My $0.02.

YMMV.

~sent from Core's 'droid.

Corelogik, Aug 3, 2015
  15. Only on one Windows 10 Beta Test, did I have a problem with AVG not running after the upgrade.
    Ever since then, with the last few Beta Test versions and now with the final version, AVG is working perfectly.

I get the Bob Rankin newsletter every day and today he asked the question about Windows Security Essentials (Defender) being good enough. Here's the link to the article.
    Has Microsoft Security Essentials Improved?

Even MS admitted that their AV software was only marginal at best.
    After reading that this morning, I downloaded the latest version of AVG 2015 FREE and installed it here.
    It works fine in Windows 10 and does not need any more updating. If for any strange reason, Windows 10 corrupts it, just do a reinstall and select "Repair" Install.

Trusting any ONE program to protect your computer 100% is foolish at best. I use a package of five Anti Malware programs to keep my computer safe, from all forms of Malware. Of all the programs I use, Super Anti Spyware FREE is the only one that will find and remove all the Tracking Cookies as well as most PUP's. It's well worth all the money I 'didn't' spend on it. lol

Be safe and be happy!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. AVG 2015 Free Doesn't Work? - Similar Threads - AVG 2015 Free

2. AVG Anti-Virus Free Deletions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AVG Anti-Virus Free Deletions: I always scan my computer with AVG every night, using a smart scan, but I have been noticing that files that it comes up with in "junk files" in the performance issues section of the scan has been going down. I'm worried that AVG is deleting important files, because my...
  3. AVG Anti-Virus Free Deletions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AVG Anti-Virus Free Deletions: I always scan my computer with AVG every night, using a smart scan, but I have been noticing that files that it comes up with in "junk files" in the performance issues section of the scan has been going down. I'm worried that AVG is deleting important files, because my...
  4. AVG Anti-Virus Free Deletions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. AVG Free Problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AVG Free Problems: Hi all. Just upgraded to Edge and I've reinstalled all of my previous antivirus. All seem to be working well (Malwarebytes and Spybot) except for AVG Free. For some reason whenever I double click on the icon I get the blue spinning circle to show that it's "thinking about...
  6. Uninstall AVG Antivirus Free version

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Uninstall AVG Antivirus Free version: Can someone please help? I downloaded the free version of AVG Antivirus Free version a while ago and have since uninstalled it but I keep getting the message regarding Windows Update saying that I need to uninstall that programme as it is preventing the update from being...
  7. Internet connection blocked by AVG 2015 antivirus

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet connection blocked by AVG 2015 antivirus: I have later AVG virus software working ok but I cant find a way of deleting the previous 2015 version and it is apparently blocking my internet access, according to windows 10 diagnosis. How can I cure this problem please?...
  8. Uninstalling AVG Free

Uninstalling AVG Free: This is causing big headache, as what ever I try I am meeting with error oxC0070643. Has anyone had a similar experience, and hoe did they solve it, please? I know I can go to their support, but before that I'd like to hear what others did. Sometimes it can be less tortuous....
  9. AVG Free Edition 2017 Installation

AVG Free Edition 2017 Installation: I've been using AVG Free Edition for a few years but the latest version gives me probs installing and when it is installed the GUI is different and stupid. My last installed version included Zen/Anti-virus but after uninstalling (wasn't an easy task) I can't even find a...
  10. Free AVG blocking Updates and install of visual studio 2015 community?

Free AVG blocking Updates and install of visual studio 2015 community?: I did a clean install of Windows 10 for the 3rd time and somehow allways seem to lock either the windows update or the viual studio 2015 install.update.change program. I suspect it is Free AVG that is the couse bur I can't seem to find any confirmation of that. Can...