Windows 10: Avoid Sleep on old hardware! It won't wake!

Discus and support Avoid Sleep on old hardware! It won't wake! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I have installed Windows 10 in an old server (specs follow) and I put it to sleep. I then was unable to wake it! I tried switching on or off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by spapakons, Nov 10, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

Avoid Sleep on old hardware! It won't wake!

Hello!

I have installed Windows 10 in an old server (specs follow) and I put it to sleep. I then was unable to wake it! I tried switching on or off several times, even removing power for a few minutes, nothing! I could hear the fan working, both the green LED (power) and red (HDD) where on and it would not boot! I even tried to remove the battery to reset BIOS, nothing! The solution was to remove one of the four memory modules, let it load Windows 10, shutdown and then install the fourth module again!

It seems there is some incompatibility with the sleep function in the old server system. Could it be drivers? Settings? BIOS settings? I don't know, I'll just never put it to sleep again! So everyone else having an old hardware, avoid putting it to sleep! Leave it running or completely shutdown!

Here are the server's specs:

Computer: Custom-build server system
    Motherboard: Supermicro PDSG4 (Intel socket 775)
    Chipset: Intel Glenwood 955X (supports up to Pentium D dual-core CPU socket 775, not newer models)
    CPU: Intel Pentium D 945 3.40GHz dual-core socket 775
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 667MHz (4x 1GB modules in dual channel mode)
    Graphics: XFX GeForce 7300GS
    SATA Controller: Intel ICH7R with RAID support
    SCSI Controllers: Adaptec 7901 Single channel Ultra 320 SCSI & Adaptec SCSI RAID 20105/Supermicro AOC-LPZCR supported
    LAN: Intel 82573V PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Audio: Realtek AC'97 audio high quality 6-channel sound

:)

spapakons, Nov 10, 2015
  2. mdtoronto Win User

Window 10 (PC) Unable to login again after Sleep

In the recent version you can change the setting from allowing the device to shut down wifi to "high performance" which avoids wifi being one reason it won't wake up. Other people say they get a spinning circle waiting - for Wifi to restart likely.

I've reset my sleep mode to 1 hour and will shut it down every time to avoid sleep mode altogether.

mdtoronto, Nov 10, 2015
  3. W10 Start menu always up on waking from sleep

Thanks MarkG125 & GearWorld. Your solutions work great. I can avoid the start menu on wake-up by not using the start menu to sleep the computer. If I right-click on the start menu and sleep or use Alt-F4 and sleep I can avoid the start menu on wake up.
    I imagine using a designated 'sleep' key on the keyboard would also avoid the start menu on start up, but I don't have one to double-check that.

___Phil___, Nov 10, 2015
Thema:

Avoid Sleep on old hardware! It won't wake!

1. Avoid Sleep on old hardware! It won't wake! - Similar Threads - Avoid Sleep old

2. Monitor won't wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor won't wake from sleep: Split from this thread. After 23H2 update, my monitor won't wake when the PC does, it takes about 2-3 minutes after a few beeps.The BIOS for the MSIB560M-A PRO MB is uptodate and the latest drivers for the Geforce 750Ti are installed and yet the problem persists.Noticed power...
  3. Monitor won't wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor won't wake from sleep: Split from this thread. After 23H2 update, my monitor won't wake when the PC does, it takes about 2-3 minutes after a few beeps.The BIOS for the MSIB560M-A PRO MB is uptodate and the latest drivers for the Geforce 750Ti are installed and yet the problem persists.Noticed power...
  4. Computer won't wake from Sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't wake from Sleep.: My computer won't wake from sleep. It is a clean install of windows Ver 1909 Build 18363.836. I have reinstalled several times. When I move the mouse or use the keyboard the power light stop blinking comes on steady, the fans start up, it checks the DVD player, the activity...
  5. PC Won't Wake from Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Won't Wake from Sleep: Hiya, For the last few months at least (can't remember when it started), after putting my computer to sleep, or it happening by itself, it doesn't wake up again. When asleep, the light flashes as it should, but when I press the power button/keyboard, the fans spin up to...
  6. Computer Won't Wake from Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Won't Wake from Sleep: Hiya, Recently, my PC won't awaken from being asleep. When it's asleep and I press the power button, the fans all spin up (sounds like max rpm), but no display. This means I have to hold the power button to restart it. I have tried updating all the drivers but to no avail -...
  7. Monitor won't wake up after sleep

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor won't wake up after sleep: Hello guys, I built my PC a few weeks ago and since then I am struggling with a problem. When my PC wakes up from standby mode the monitor stays off and does not wake up anymore. I have already reinstalled all drivers and tried it with other GPU but without success. I...
  8. Monitor Won't Won't Turn On Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor Won't Won't Turn On Waking From Sleep: PC turns on from mouse key or keyboard key , monitor's green power light is on but screen dark. -Have jiggled power cord to pc, both ends of monitor's cable to pc but nothing happens. -Have checked both keyboard and mouse hardware settings and they are set to "wake" -Have...
  9. PC Won't Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Won't Wake From Sleep: Las two weeks, when I hit any key or mouse, PC will not wake from sleep shows black monitor but its green light is on. Have turn pc off and restart which starts without any problems. I 89834
  10. Computer Sleeps/Wakes fine manually, but won't wake from auto-sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Sleeps/Wakes fine manually, but won't wake from auto-sleep: Hello, My motherboard is a P8Z77-V, with Gigabyte 7950 video card, if that matters. I did the windows 10 upgrade, and all seems well, except waking from Standby. If I go into start menu, and choose sleep, everything spins down, and the computer shuts itself off. I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 older hardware wont wake from hibernate