Windows 10: Awful design of 'Open with...'

Discus and support Awful design of 'Open with...' in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; With a file selected in Explorer I right click to show the context menu. Then I click 'Open with' to display the menu of choices. But why does this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Terrypin, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Terrypin Win User

Awful design of 'Open with...'

With a file selected in Explorer I right click to show the context menu. Then I click 'Open with' to display the menu of choices.
    But why does this not include the default, associated program (GPS Utility in this case)?

Awful design of 'Open with...' [​IMG]

I did not d-click the file to launch it with that associated program, as I wanted to see all the options. So, unless I now remember that my preference for GPX files is the program GPS Utility, (in which case I could cancel out of here and d-click the file), I must proceed with 'Choose another app' to discover that key option.

4. Doing so displays this poorly designed dialog. Even now, the most important app, GPS Utility is still not even identified fully.

Awful design of 'Open with...' [​IMG]

5. In an attempt to get 'GPS Utility' added to the list, I then used 'more apps' (hidden before scrolling), but it wasn't in that list. I had to use 'Look for another app on this PC'. But having then navigated and chosen 'gpsu525.exe', that still does not get added to the list - presumably because it's at the top of the dialog.

What a mess! Why on earth doesn't the 'Open with...' dialog simply display a list of all the options, in standard fashion? As it did 15 years ago in XP.

Anyone know if there is any setting, third party tool or hack that will get me back that facility please?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Oct 4, 2016

2. N8 - Headphones (awful design)

If you don't need the controls, take a look at a pair of "SoundMAGIC PL-30" earbuds. They are pretty cheap and have amazing sound quality. That's what I use on my N8 and my N97.

Junkie---01, Oct 4, 2016
  3. N8 - Headphones (awful design)

Many headset makers do this, not just nokia so you can't really blame the nokia designers for that one! Nokia has used this type with other past models.

It's so that the wire goes behind your neck and that you can take them out of your ears and leave them around your neck without them falling to the floor. If worn correctly they look perfectly normal.

Like most manufacturers they never give the best ones away for free with the phone.

I use a standard set of sony earbud style headphones with mine as I don't like the extra weight the controls give.

You may find alternatives here:

Browse Nokia phones

Or have a look at what online stores offer.

psychomania---01, Oct 4, 2016
  4. 91fw Win User

I think they changed the wording in that dreadfully designed dialog - there is no Look on PC. there's only More apps (faint orange color) besides the store.
    And you can't even drag that window. I'm on 1607 version of windows10.
    What was wrong with the look of it on XP that made'm change to this confusing mess?

91fw, Oct 5, 2016
  5. I have found that when I finally find the app that I want to use, I just click on the "Always use this app to open xxx file" and from then on if I say open with, I see my app at the top of the first list.

storageman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Awful design of 'Open with...' - Similar Threads - Awful design 'Open

2. Was commenting always this awful?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Was commenting always this awful?: Was commenting always this awful on here where you have to literally walk on egg shells and certain people get a free pass? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/was-commenting-always-this-awful/b40fbd7d-a1a9-48b3-bd32-e44de19aa75a
  3. Download speed is awful

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Download speed is awful: So I got a new computer after my last one broke. It’s a Windows 10, Nitro AN515-54. I5-9300. 8 Gigs of ram. 64 bit. But for some inexplicable reason, I have trouble downloading some things off the internet. Note that this computer can download steam games at roughly 1 MB/S...
  4. aw snap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    aw snap: i recently tried to open googl chrome and all i get aw snap and i can't fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/aw-snap/72807058-1ab7-449d-a069-ad3d4025b663
  5. Is AWS connecting to the internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is AWS connecting to the internet: I have scanned my network on my Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro and I fin AWS is in the list after the scan. Is AWS a part of the Microsoft network, I know AWS has been working for Microsoft already. So is AWS capable of connecting to my windows. Yes I have allowed everything...
  6. Unable to open Embroidery Designs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to open Embroidery Designs: I have a new PC with Windows 10. Previously I used a computer with Windows 7 and had no problems for years. Now, for some reason Windows 10 will not allow me to work with my designs. I thought 10 was suppose to be better and more efficient. I find it to be worse. I spend...
  7. amazon aws

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    amazon aws: stop amazon aws from sending emails https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/amazon-aws/01c2b30e-4c90-42c4-988c-53cbdf77e0f4
  8. Awful Windows Support

in Windows 10 Customization
    Awful Windows Support: I am still trying to get Microsoft to fix issues with Windows 10 1809, in particular after the upgrade and am unsuccessful after waiting for a few months I believe now. I finally called again on 2/11/19 and a new case was given for an old issue because Microsoft had no record...
  9. Chrome continually opens new windows with every link, awful.

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome continually opens new windows with every link, awful.: How to make that stop! What I mean is an entirely NEW window, not a tab is being opened. Every new window is also cascading not full screen. I was reading about sticky keys, and for windows they are off. I also tried under chrome settings a browser reset. edit,...
  10. Edge is awful

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is awful: I have already pulled the shortcut to IE11 out of Windows 10 and replaced my Edge shortcut with it. The browser is awful. This morning after an internet outage last night (it was fully restored an hour later) and I cannot perform ANY search in Edge. Can't bring up a...