Windows 10: back to seven

Discus and support back to seven in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sons computer, dell desktop, has been left really unstable because of windows 10 updates It has been over 30 days Is there any way to put it back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wood, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Wood Win User

back to seven

Sons computer, dell desktop, has been left really unstable because of windows 10 updates
    It has been over 30 days
    Is there any way to put it back to seven other than taking to a shop
    his laptop also objected to windows 10, it is also a dell, that went into a reboot loop and is totally useless
    does dell and windows 10 have issues with each other
    he will have to take the laptop to the shop I think but the desktop is still working, (not well), can it be restored to
    seven, also restore files to seven are gone

:)

Wood, Mar 8, 2016

2. Turn back to Seven

NOTE: Please be aware the Windows.old folder located at the root of the local disk where Windows 10 is installed will be deleted after 30 days automatically. The Windows.old folder is used to facilitate the
    rollback. So please perform any rollback within 30 days or this option will no longer be available. Otherwise, create a backup before upgrading to Windows 10.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Summary

Throughout the history of Windows revisions, Microsoft has included an option to uninstall the operating system when you upgrade to a newer version. My recollection of this capability goes back to Windows ME which included the option to uninstall the operating
    system and restore to a previous version of Windows (I was running Windows 98 SE at the time). Microsoft has supported this functionality in its NT based versions of Windows too, albeit not in a seamless way. The ability to restore a Windows 8.1 installation
    to Windows 7 required knowing some command line operations that in some instances didn’t guarantee the process would go according to plan. With Windows 10, it seems Microsoft has listened and has provided a welcome option to its recovery tools to make it easy
    to uninstall Windows 10 and go back to your previous version of Windows. This option can be handy for diagnostics purposes, trial and error or to simply go back to a previous version of Windows that works better with your PC.

Please keep in mind, this only works with Windows 7 and later. Because prior versions of Windows such as Windows Vista and Windows XP can only migrate to Windows 10 through a custom install, the command line operations remain your best choice if you do decide
    to go back. Also keep in mind, if you do a custom install over Windows 7 or later, the Rollback option is not available. This only works if you had done an in place upgrade from Windows 7 or later.

back to seven [​IMG]

Start by opening Settings – Click Start > Settings or type Settings in the search bar and click it or press Windows key + i

back to seven [​IMG]

Click Update and Security

back to seven [​IMG]

Click Recovery then click Get started under
    Go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1
    (depending on the previous version you running)

back to seven [​IMG]

Here you can make multiple selections why are going back to your previous version of Windows along with additional details or you can choose just one and click Next.

back to seven [​IMG]

As noted, any configurations made to Windows 10 since upgrading will be lost, so if you installed new programs or hardware drivers or made personal settings, those will be deleted.

back to seven [​IMG]

Click Next

back to seven [​IMG]

Make sure you have your password ready to sign into your old version if you had been using one. Click Next

back to seven [​IMG]

The process can take a while depending on the amount data, applications and settings. Click Next

back to seven [​IMG]

Click Go Back to begin the process.

back to seven [​IMG]

Windows 10 will Restart

back to seven [​IMG]

This will be your screen throughout the recovery process.

back to seven [​IMG]

When the process is complete, you will be booted into your previous version of Windows environment.

If you cannot load the Windows Desktop, you can initiate a Rollback using the following method:

back to seven [​IMG]

Log out and go to the sign in screen.

Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

back to seven [​IMG]

Click Troubleshoot

back to seven [​IMG]

Click Advanced options

back to seven [​IMG]

Click Go back to the previous version of Windows

Andre Da Costa, Mar 8, 2016
  3. Turn back to Seven

If I am not satisfied with Windows 10, can I turn back to Windows 7?

Rifki Syafi`i, Mar 8, 2016
  4. back to seven

If the OEM stuff as well as the Windows.old folder are gone on the desktop slim chance of that happening! All original files and folders have to remain intact in order to be able to revert back to 7 or the previous version(7, 8, 8.1) from 10. And the reason the upgrades are buggy has to do with upgrade type installs often turning out buggy regardless of which version is being upgraded into!

For an effective working 10 install you wouldn't even need an upgrade but can see a clean install take place. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

This had been a topic on the burner when 10 was first launched and too many were running into problematic upgrades! I know only too well from first hand 10mares as far as upgrades go while at the same time have a working 10/7 dual boot on two separate desktops! Too bad you didn't have a system image backup made for both the laptop and desktop there you could simply see restored. If the DiskCleanup tool ran during the time of the upgrades and now however the Windows.old and some other necessary files would have been cleaned off of the C drive on each! Someone did make an image and saw a fortunate end result when going to restore a full system image backup. Solved Revert back to Win 7 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Mar 8, 2016
  5. What might work, if Dell has it, is using their Restore Media to reset it to it's original condition. HP sells such stuff for around $40 USD -- which is a lot cheaper than the $100 (or so) that you'd spend purchasing Win7, and I would imaging a shop might charge even more than that!
    I've run into similar problems with HP laptops running Win7 and the problem stems from a combination of the specialized hardware that OEMs put into laptops and the Win10 Upgrader tool's inability to spot that hardware in advance, thus preventing the upgrade.

Oddly enough, I had an old HP Win7 laptop that crashed on two attempts to do Win10 Upgrades, but when I did a clean-install, it went off without hardly any problems at all. I had to get one odd driver from the HP forums, but apart from that, ALL the hardware is working without any problems.

So, you might try a clean-install from Win10 media to see if that makes any difference -- it might!

Good Luck

Mark Phelps, Mar 8, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Check whether there is a recovery partition. That would hold the original OS with which the PC came. You could reinstall from there.

7. At this time if you can find 7 media online you won't be spending $100 or more! Back in 2013 I caught a 64bit Pro OEM dvd for $70- which is now found for $49.95 while the Home Premium edition gets $39.95 at one software outlet. Search Results

The support site would be the place to look for the recovery media creation tool. That would put everything back to factory fresh status however which would mean the total loss of everything on the drive! The recovery media will reformat everything to see the fresh copy of 7 go on with all the factory bloat wares many often complain about. Without being able to revert back to 7 directly with an OS roll back the only other option would be seeing the C primary wiped since 10 is the newer version.

Your first move however should be backing everything up from the drives on both that you need to keep and then nuke'em both for seeing 7 back on again. One thing to know however is that 10 doesn't go on completely without some help being seen as far as choosing the instant or delayed upgrade when the 10 app is present! There are a few options for not seeing this happen again you should look over in the guide section here at 10 F! Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Mar 8, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

back to seven

Ztruker, Mar 8, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2016
  10. If you have a pre SP1 key it won't work with an SP1 included iso! You have to match the correct key to the download! And Digital Rivers was shut down from Windows iso downloads last year! You will want to see the reply on MS MVP came out with in that regard. Cannot find Digital River download site - Microsoft Community

Night Hawk, Mar 8, 2016
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Both of the links I posted provided good, legal (so far) ISO for Windows 7. Neither are Digital River thoug one advertises itself as a Digital River Mirror.

Ztruker, Mar 9, 2016
  12. There's some kind of new MS marketing venture being run on the DR site to replace the DR online store. MS decided to start up a separate MS Store as well as open retail locations in various cities. Ecommerce Solutions | Payment Gateways | Digital Marketing

The second link you posted has the Hash Key verification tool which is always good to have to match up things up with! The product key for 7 however will need to have been for 7 with SP1 originally and not simply the first from the 2009 launch like the one I have here for the Fall 2009 retail purchase. If both the laptop and desktop saw SP1 then the only problem would be the OEM key not working on the download for some reason where a call to MS would then be needed.

Night Hawk, Mar 9, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

back to seven

Download the pre-SP1 version of Windows 7 Professional from the website. Extract the ISO files. Delete the ei.cfg file from the sources directory and the installer will ask you which version of Windows 7 you want to install.

NavyLCDR, Mar 9, 2016
  14. win7 found that out with the Alpha stages of 7 way back when before the first public beta release was out. Unlock ALL Versions in your Windows 7 Build 7000 ISO - Windows 7 Help Forums

First you have to locate the non SP1 download link however since a look at both sites only sees the 7 with SP1 links for each edition. in both 32/64bit flavors. But with any non SP1 iso you can turn around and slipstream SP1 into the new one made up and be able to use the early keys. Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 into a Installation DVD or ISO File - Windows 7 Help Forums

Night Hawk, Mar 9, 2016
  15. Hope you speak as well as read and write in one of the 26 languages! The download page you arrive at sees just that Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate editions all with SP1 and in both 32bit/64bit flavors but none in English! I went to download a 64bit Pro with SP1 iso after entering the 7 Ultimate key and found none in English! Will try the 7 Pro key as well but not expecting any change since MS dumped 7 in 2015 from all sales in order to promote 10.

Night Hawk, Mar 11, 2016
Thema:

back to seven

1. back to seven - Similar Threads - seven

2. Window Seven

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window Seven: I have an older computer that I don't use much that is operating on Window Seven.I do understand I need to upgrade the operating system. I know Window Seven customer support ended in 2020. I'm planning on upgrading but I want a paticular computer shop to do the upgrade. I do...
  3. Window Seven

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window Seven: I have an older computer that I don't use much that is operating on Window Seven.I do understand I need to upgrade the operating system. I know Window Seven customer support ended in 2020. I'm planning on upgrading but I want a paticular computer shop to do the upgrade. I do...
  4. I’ve been getting a message on my laptop to upgrade my windows seven. I now want to upgrade...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I’ve been getting a message on my laptop to upgrade my windows seven. I now want to upgrade...: I would like to upgrade my dell laptop from Microsoft 7 to Microsoft 11. I’ve been getting a message to do this, but I click the button remind me later. So now I want to upgrade, but that message isn’t coming up at the moment. How do I find that message within my computer or...
  5. I’ve been getting a message on my laptop to upgrade my windows seven. I now want to upgrade...

I’ve been getting a message on my laptop to upgrade my windows seven. I now want to upgrade...: I would like to upgrade my dell laptop from Microsoft 7 to Microsoft 11. I’ve been getting a message to do this, but I click the button remind me later. So now I want to upgrade, but that message isn’t coming up at the moment. How do I find that message within my computer or...
  6. Windows seven won’t boot after trying to install Xerox printer disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows seven won’t boot after trying to install Xerox printer disc: I tried to install Xerox scan to desktop and computer froze, I cancelled installation and now it won’t boot, what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-seven-wont-boot-after-trying-to-install/203e83bb-a8f3-457a-a311-9f0c422f0571
  7. Windows seven won’t boot after trying to install Xerox printer disc

Windows seven won’t boot after trying to install Xerox printer disc: I tried to install Xerox scan to desktop and computer froze, I cancelled installation and now it won’t boot, what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-seven-wont-boot-after-trying-to-install/203e83bb-a8f3-457a-a311-9f0c422f0571
  8. I've been trying for seven years to change my primary email address on my Microsoft account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I've been trying for seven years to change my primary email address on my Microsoft account...: Since I retired and no longer have that email address, off and on I've been trying and failing literally for seven years to get the primary email address changed. When I follow the directions and try to link it to another email, I get the message that my email address...
  9. I've been trying for seven years to change my primary email address on my Microsoft account...

I've been trying for seven years to change my primary email address on my Microsoft account...: Since I retired and no longer have that email address, off and on I've been trying and failing literally for seven years to get the primary email address changed. When I follow the directions and try to link it to another email, I get the message that my email address...
  10. on windows seven, how do you add driver to your headphones so it can connect to my computer?

on windows seven, how do you add driver to your headphones so it can connect to my computer?: it says: The driver for Peripheral device is not installed. Insert the latest driver for this device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-windows-seven-how-do-you-add-driver-to-your/30fe7f42-a259-4a1e-b5d9-dfb6d4e74b17