Windows 10: Back up a licensed software?

Discus and support Back up a licensed software? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I have a really old laptop which I want to reinstall Windows 10 now because it was upgraded from 7 to 8 to 8.1 and now 10 (without a clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lolcocks, Mar 30, 2018.

1. lolcocks Win User

Back up a licensed software?

Hello,

I have a really old laptop which I want to reinstall Windows 10 now because it was upgraded from 7 to 8 to 8.1 and now 10 (without a clean install) and has got crazy slow now.

Problem is, there's a licensed version of a software on there and the person who's laptop it is, has lost it's license key.

Is there anyway I can backup this software in some way to not lose the license after a Windows reinstall?
    Contacting the software company is not an option.

Thank you.

:)

lolcocks, Mar 30, 2018
  2. allwise Win User

Backing up Comes With Music licenses

Hello!

I have a Nokia 5800 with Comes With Music. The problem is that if I do a hard-reset I will have to re-authorize ALL of my downloaded tracks from Nokia Music Store. Every time I have to press "Yes, download license" and choose the right connection. Then wait
    for the license to download and the track to start playing. Then go back and do the same procedure for the next track. It is very timeconsuming to do this for over 1000 tracks... My question is: Can I find theses licenses somewhere on the phone and back them
    up? A feature on the phone itself should be "Renew ALL licenses at once". This would make my day. Life. Afterlife.

Thanks guys! Back up a licensed software? :)

//

allwise, Mar 30, 2018
  3. mccbleue Win User
    Backing up Comes With Music licenses

The solution is to have your music backed up to the PC, then after a reset you just need to transfer everything back from PC to phone and save all of this hassle.

mccbleue, Mar 30, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Without knowing what the software is it's impossible to say. For earlier versions of Office there are ways to retrieve the key, but that may not be possible for other software. Anyway, if they've lost the key have they also lost the install files?

I would try at all costs to avoid needing a clean install. Just because it started out with Windows 7 doesn't mean it would inevitably be slow after all those upgrades - mine isn't.

Rationalizing the startup apps and services could help, after all these years there are bound to be some that aren't necessary. An in-place repair install would keep all apps, files and some settings, but reinstall Windows. See this tutorial.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Whatever you do, make sure you make a system image first so you can restore the original system should you run into problems.

5. Winuser Win User
    Have you looked in the program to see if the key is listed? Some programs will list the key in the About Program or in Settings. Also some programs will make you deactivate before you can reinstall.

Winuser, Mar 30, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    You could try using Easeus PCTRANS. Its free version is limited to two apps so this may work.

cereberus, Mar 30, 2018
  7. lolcocks Win User
    It's a software form HandsDownSoftware.com

It's gotten way worse, Windows needs to be reinstalled.
    Task Manager shows all resources at less than 20% usage, yet opening explorer, right clicking taskbar, opening any simple piece of software takes 30 seconds.
    Installing CCleaner took an hour because during setup after extracting each single file the setup used to take a pause for 3 minutes.

You say your Windows never slows down after upgrades? Tell me, do you use an SSD?

No point in using keys, the software seller just told me one key per installation. Just buy a new key if you want to install again. And the software costs a lot.

Thank you, this is the answer I was looking back. Will report back if it works.

lolcocks, Mar 31, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

No, it's the original 'spinner', in fact everything is 'as supplied by the manufacturer' - System One in my specs below. About 6 months before I took the free upgrade to 10 in Aug. 2015 I did a factory reset to the OEM Win7 Home Premium. After the initial 10240 RTM upgrade it has had the 1511, 1607, 1703 and 1709 upgrades. I try to keep it lean and clean, so after each upgrade or cumulative update I use Disk Clean-up's 'clean up system files' option.

Some of the OEM bloatware has been uninstalled, but there's a preinstalled Office 2010 Starter I want to keep, also the free Windows DVD Player that came with the upgrade to 10 as a 'perk' for upgrading from a Media Centre edition of W7, hence the reluctance to do a clean install. Neither of those can be reinstalled.

That's a shame. I'd make a system image before wiping it in case you want to go back (or try one of the suggested migration tools). Either that or swap the drive for another and try the clean install on that. I suspect the slowness has other causes than just a lot of upgrades. Have you checked the health of the drive or the RAM? Have you scanned for malware or PUPs?

9. lolcocks Win User
    Wow, that's impressive.
    Are you using any heavy softwares?

In my office, just one Windows Upgrade and things slow down even with just six applications installed (Office, Revit, AutoCAD, VLC, Firefox and WinRAR). Applications such as Revit and AutoCAD have their performance reduced by atleast 30%. And this is just a Windows 10 to a new build of 10 upgrade, not even an 8 to 10 upgrade.

Thank you for suggesting this, it got the software on the second machine but was unable to get the license. I don't know what to do now....

lolcocks, Mar 31, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    I do image, video and audio processing. FFmpeg can use up to 100% CPU when heavily compressing a video in the background, but I have no trouble browsing or using Excel while it does that. Where I do get a slowdown is if I use Audacity to edit an hour of audio while FFmpeg is busy, but that's more down to lack of RAM and heavy use of the swapfile.

It may well be that the original install using a key tied the software to the original machine's hardware. A clean install and the migrated software may work if you put the drive in the original machine - provided, that is, that the drive isn't counted as part of the hardware.

11. lolcocks Win User

I guess the laptops I am using in office are not really that good.
    5400 RPM disks really slow down the performance as compared to 7200 ones which perform quite well on my one PC even after an upgrade.

Nope, cannot even do a clean install. It's one key per install, not one key per machine.
    Use the key for one installation and it's used up.

lolcocks, Mar 31, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    What I meant was that if the software is tied to the machine's hardware, then a clean install and migrating the software with something like Easeus PCTRANS might work, provided you were still running it on the same hardware.

13. lolcocks Win User

Yeah, I got that.
    It's not binded to the machine's hardware.

lolcocks, Mar 31, 2018
  14. Berton Win User
  15. I recommend the software from above too. I have used SIW and it will recover your keys for almost all software. Hope it helps you out.

play2mefish, Apr 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Back up a licensed software? - Similar Threads - licensed software

2. Does Microsoft care about a company who uses their software without purchasing licenses fraud?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Microsoft care about a company who uses their software without purchasing licenses fraud?: I know of a company that started small and is now a billion-dollar company that has never purchased Microsoft Licenses for their systems.I was told don't bother telling Microsoft because they do not care. This company knows they are doing wrong and has over 300 Microsoft...
  3. Does Microsoft care about a company who uses their software without purchasing licenses fraud?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Microsoft care about a company who uses their software without purchasing licenses fraud?: I know of a company that started small and is now a billion-dollar company that has never purchased Microsoft Licenses for their systems.I was told don't bother telling Microsoft because they do not care. This company knows they are doing wrong and has over 300 Microsoft...
  4. Does Microsoft care about a company who uses their software without purchasing licenses fraud?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...: I have Windows 10 installed by Dell on my Dell Computer, it has a Digital License in my Microsoft account. I wish to upgrade to windows 11, which has already downloaded to my computer I believe. Do I need a software code number or is my digital license going to cover that?...
  6. IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...

IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...: I have Windows 10 installed by Dell on my Dell Computer, it has a Digital License in my Microsoft account. I wish to upgrade to windows 11, which has already downloaded to my computer I believe. Do I need a software code number or is my digital license going to cover that?...
  7. IDo I need a software code number to upgrade from Win 10 to 11 or is my digital license...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Microsoft Change to Software Invalidates AnyTime License?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Change to Software Invalidates AnyTime License?: I have had AnyTime for many years and love it. Recently, my Microsoft 365 upgraded and added Copilot to the suite. Then, when I tried to open my AnyTime ToDo Calendar, I got a message that I needed to "remake" my license and get a new product key. When I started to follow the...
  9. Microsoft Change to Software Invalidates AnyTime License?

Microsoft Change to Software Invalidates AnyTime License?: I have had AnyTime for many years and love it. Recently, my Microsoft 365 upgraded and added Copilot to the suite. Then, when I tried to open my AnyTime ToDo Calendar, I got a message that I needed to "remake" my license and get a new product key. When I started to follow the...
  10. Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure that the installation...

Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure that the installation...: Hello, I have been trying to install Windows Server Essentials 2022/2019 in Virtual box and VMware, but this error prompt always shows up "Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure that the installation sources are valid and restart the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to backup licensed software