Windows 10: Back up script location

Discus and support Back up script location in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a PC that I regularly backup with a script every week. My script is stored on my backup medium(a portable HD) and when I want to run a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Nexusfactor, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Back up script location

I have a PC that I regularly backup with a script every week.

My script is stored on my backup medium(a portable HD) and when I want to run a backup, I plug in the drive, and start my script. Having my script on my backup medium saves me from writing additional lines of code to check if the destination is available, if my script is running, then obviously the drive is available and can be seen by the OS. All I need to do is run a check to make sure the source directories exist.

I just wanted to get an idea of what the experts do, is storing my script on the backup medium a good idea? Any drawbacks?

:)

Nexusfactor, Jan 20, 2018
  2. petrib Win User

Back-Up location

"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Nokia\ContentCopier\"

Message Edited by on 18-Feb-2007

05:03 PM

petrib, Jan 20, 2018
  3. Back-Up location

Hi Petrib,

just a quick one to say thanks,

I just had to show hidden files and folders and it all worked fine,

Gary

differentuser, Jan 20, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Back up script location

Welcome to TenForums @Nexusfactor

All credit for having taken the trouble to do regular backups. Not many bother to do that (to their cost).

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) for backing up not just your files, but also a system image. Do you make a system image as well? If not, it is a sensible additional precaution.

Like you, I also like to run a script to back up my key user files. Mine is run from the source folder and checks for the destination folder (by default, on a network drive) but your approach is equally valid. You should check for one or the other, it doesn't really matter which you choose. As long as you keep a copy of the script in your user folder (in case the backup drive fails) I can see no disadvantage.

You can never have enough backups, so in addition to system images and my backup script, I also have File History turned on (again, pointing to a network folder). If your router has a USB socket, a 'cheap and cheerful' network drive can be made by plugging a USB external HDD into the router.

Thema:

Back up script location

1. Back up script location - Similar Threads - script location

2. Hyper V on windows home using a Script found on the internet, IS it a bad option.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V on windows home using a Script found on the internet, IS it a bad option.: I am using windows 11 home and I wanted to use the hyperV, I know it is not available on home editions but I found a blog post and they were advising on using a script, I need the hyperV but I dont want to compromise my windows security. are these scripts really a bad option?...
  3. Hyper V on windows home using a Script found on the internet, IS it a bad option.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V on windows home using a Script found on the internet, IS it a bad option.: I am using windows 11 home and I wanted to use the hyperV, I know it is not available on home editions but I found a blog post and they were advising on using a script, I need the hyperV but I dont want to compromise my windows security. are these scripts really a bad option?...
  4. How to stop a script that's running automatically on every startup. I'm unable to locate it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop a script that's running automatically on every startup. I'm unable to locate it.: Hello community, I'd be really glad if someone helped me out with this.Every time I turn on my computer, a PowerShell window pops up. Now the first time this happened, it happened within the blink of an eye, So i researched it a bit and found out that it was a virus as per...
  5. How to stop a script that's running automatically on every startup. I'm unable to locate it.

How to stop a script that's running automatically on every startup. I'm unable to locate it.: Hello community, I'd be really glad if someone helped me out with this.Every time I turn on my computer, a PowerShell window pops up. Now the first time this happened, it happened within the blink of an eye, So i researched it a bit and found out that it was a virus as per...
  6. Win 10 .Pac file cache location ? Caching of Auto_proxy Scripts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 .Pac file cache location ? Caching of Auto_proxy Scripts: Hi, previously on win 7&8 the .pac file location was as below but this doesnt seem to be the case with win10 ? Below is an example but the win10 machines we have seem to work different and wanted to ask is this now depreciated or configured...
  7. Win 10 .Pac file cache location ? Caching of Auto_proxy Scripts

Win 10 .Pac file cache location ? Caching of Auto_proxy Scripts: Hi, previously on win 7&8 the .pac file location was as below but this doesnt seem to be the case with win10 ? Below is an example but the win10 machines we have seem to work different and wanted to ask is this now depreciated or configured...
  8. Win 10 .Pac file cache location ? Caching of Auto_proxy Scripts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. How to turn on or off Location Scripting on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn on or off Location Scripting on Windows 10: If you want to turn on or off Location Scripting on Windows 10, this post is what you need. In Windows 10, by default, all location scripts run. However, if you want to disable Location Scripting on Windows you need to edit some group policy. The policy “Turn off location...
  10. PowerShell not-even-noob needs help with script to locate pairs of fil

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell not-even-noob needs help with script to locate pairs of fil: I have organized my photos by YYYY-MM-DD for use with Adobe Lightroom. (which works Ok for me, maybe not for everyone else ... ) Until about 2 years ago I shot NEF+JPG, meaning I have both the RAW file and the JPG for every photo. But since I've gotten more proficient in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. preinstall.cmd script location