Windows 10: Backed up my email messages and have some strange looking files

Discus and support Backed up my email messages and have some strange looking files in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; [img] Log Out Settings My Profile Notifications Welcome, What's New? Forum New Posts Private Messages FAQ Calendar Community Forum... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Fred22, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Fred22 Win User

Backed up my email messages and have some strange looking files

Backed up my email messages and have some strange looking files [​IMG]

Just backed up email and got some strange looking files

+ Reply to Thread
    Mark as Solved

• Search Thread

• Rate This Thread

• 20 Hours Ago #1

Join Date : Apr 2016 Posts : 23 Windows 10 64 bit Local Time: 08:32

I just backed up my email to external hard drive and got these strange looking files at the bottom of my folders. Do I need to delete them or leave them alone? What are they? It doesn't show in the screenshot, but these files are all 0 KB. So I assume it's okay to either delete them or leave them alone. I posted this on the Vista forum (it's Windows Mail on a PC running Vista), but got no replies...I usually have better luck here.

My System Specs

Edit Post

+ Reply to Thread
    Mark as Solved

Quick Reply

Thread Information

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 0 guests)

Similar Threads Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post restoring backed up files jeang Vista General 21 31 Aug 2009 Question re backed up .DBX files Best Vista mail 2 25 May 2009 Any way to clean backed up files? Dragor Windows Updates 4 05 Sep 2008 Help Please- backed-up files cannot be opened Lei_ctln Vista file management 1 11 Dec 2007 BAT Files not being backed up Greg Hunt Vista General 1 04 Oct 2007 backed up files HELP Steve Vista mail 1 22 Apr 2007 How can you see what files are backed up? bobh Vista performance & maintenance 0 27 Mar 2007

Our Sites Ten Forums
    Eight Forums
    Seven Forums
    Help Me Bake

Site Links Contact Us
    Network Status
    Privacy and Cookies
    Forum Rules
    Old server
    About Us Windows Vista Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32.

:)

Fred22, Sep 28, 2016
  2. quasi13 Win User

Anybody using MobileMe/.mac account email on their 5800?

I am in the same shoes as you. And have some trouble with getting my MobileMe email account synchronised to my Nokia 5800. I would use IMAP protocol to allow for the same emails to be accessible from other tools (PCs, Mac). It looks if the connection would
    not be proper, but there is no error message. The folders of the mail account are accessible, and some mail headers are downloaded when setting up the account, but after that synchronisation stops, and even those emails whose headers were downloaded are not
    accessible. It is a strange issue, I have no idea how to overcome it. Would appreciate any tips or hints.

Regards

quasi13, Sep 28, 2016
  3. khopson Win User
    windows phone 7.5 Microsoft tiles

My WP7.5 is acting really strange. My messaging app, emails, People and Group Hubs, Email + Accounts (in Settings) are unavailable. I have no idea why this is. When I say unavailable, I mean that when I try to open them they look as though they will
    open but revert back to the previous screen. I'm at a loss. Anyone know of a solution?

khopson, Sep 28, 2016
  4. Fred22 Win User

I just backed up my email to external hard drive and got these strange looking files at the bottom of my folders. Do I need to delete them or leave them alone? What are they? It doesn't show in the screenshot, but these files are all 0 KB. So I assume it's okay to either delete them or leave them alone. I posted this on the Vista forum (it's Windows Mail on a PC running Vista), but got no replies...I usually have better luck here.

Fred22, Sep 28, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    .eml files are emails if you export files from an email client like thunderbird that's the format and most email clients will import this format

Samuria, Sep 28, 2016
  6. Hi:

I may misunderstand the OP's intent (for which I apologize).
    But I think he is only trying to BACKUP, not EXPORT/IMPORT his data into a different email client.

At least that seemed to be the case in his other, previous threads on this same subject:

Can't export folders in windows mail - Windows 10 Forums
    Exporting emails from windows mail what format? - Windows 10 Forums

We provided several resources to assist him in those other threads -- not sure how well they are working?
    Or perhaps the task at hand has changed?

Alas, I do not use WLM, Windows Mail, Outlook or any other MS email client/app/service.
    So, I will defer to those of you who do.
    However, @Fred22, I respectfully suggest that it would be less confusing and more efficient for everyone to discuss the same topic in only ONE forum thread, rather than multiple ones. It's hard to keep track of the issues, the attempted fixes and the results.

<just a friendly suggestion>

Cheers,*Smile
    MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 28, 2016
  7. Fred22 Win User
    I'm backing them up on external hard drive. So I should leave these files as they are, correct?

Fred22, Sep 28, 2016
  8. Fred22 Win User

Sorry to create all the confusion. I thought I was posting re a new issue. My question still is, should I leave these files (pictured in the screenshot) under the folders as is? These files and folders are now safely stored on my external hard drive and I assume the pictured files are necessary if I ever have to import them into another email program. I'm backing everything up because this is a 10 year old computer with which I've been having several issues of late...may have to be buying a new one soon. Thanks for your advice and patience.

Fred22, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backed up my email messages and have some strange looking files - Similar Threads - Backed email messages

2. Error message replying to some emails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error message replying to some emails: Hi,I have tried unsuccessfully to solve this in the past but let it go as it only affects a minority of emails but it has re-occurred.I am using the Mail App that comes with Windows 11 to access an email account on my own domain name. For a minority of email addresses when I...
  3. Error message replying to some emails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error message replying to some emails: Hi,I have tried unsuccessfully to solve this in the past but let it go as it only affects a minority of emails but it has re-occurred.I am using the Mail App that comes with Windows 11 to access an email account on my own domain name. For a minority of email addresses when I...
  4. Email from Paypal looks strange

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Email from Paypal looks strange: Hello,Could you please confirm to me if this email is genuine or is it phishing ?Please let me knowThank youRE: eStatement: We decline your last transaction Result Submited: Active // A transação está programada para ser adiada porque o final do ano - o pagamento foi...
  5. I keep getting this message with some of my apps/ files and have looked at some solutions...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I keep getting this message with some of my apps/ files and have looked at some solutions...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/killershadow_40 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gzqw7u/i_keep_getting_this_message_with_some_of_my_apps/
  6. Backing up my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up my files: My files don't back up completely. Shows error. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-my-files/9e68f775-d136-4d4d-89ad-c5a790628bb5
  7. My path looks strange

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My path looks strange: Hi, I was wondering if my path looks correct. When I start up my laptop (Lenovo Yoga Windows 10 most recent update) I see the following path: C:\Users\User\OneDrive\Desktop\ Why do I see Users\User Does this mean I am constantly saving on OneDrive. That would be a...
  8. Back up emails

Back up emails: I need to back up some emails, however I use windows.mail, so how do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-emails/38440a63-a48a-4357-a546-94f3796342da"
  9. Strange message

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange message: Every few weeks this message pops up on my screen. It locks up my system and I'm not able to do anything else, except click one of it's buttons. It looks suspicions so I just power down my computer which is running Windows 10. When I start the computer up again everything is...
  10. back up files daily message

back up files daily message: Every day I receive a message saying that I have to back up files in Windows 10. But I set up automatic backup and I see that my last backup has been completed. Why? How can I change it?...