Windows 10: Background change (to picture) results in a solid colour, not an image

Discus and support Background change (to picture) results in a solid colour, not an image in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As the title suggests I try to change my desktop background and it will not accept the image. It will simply put a solid colour there instead. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DaHooch, Sep 5, 2016.

1. DaHooch Win User

Background change (to picture) results in a solid colour, not an image

As the title suggests I try to change my desktop background and it will not accept the image. It will simply put a solid colour there instead. I have tried from the settings panel and even from the image viewer. The image viewer results in an error and suggests I need to activate Windows. It is activated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

:)

DaHooch, Sep 5, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Folder browsing keeps going to top when desktop picture changes

This is a well known bug in Windows 10, if you have your desktop background set to slideshow or colours set to 'Pick an accent colour from the background', it causes a refresh in Windows File Explorer, which results in the window scrolling back to the top

The only solution is to set your background wallpaper to a picture and set the colour to a solid colour in Settings - Personalisation - colours.

Sorry, but this bug is well known for over a year and Microsoft does not seem to have produced a patch to fix this issue . . .

DaveM121, Sep 5, 2016
  3. Gasha883 Win User
    Issue with background after installing WP10 Insider preview

Hi! I just installed the insider preview of WP10 on my Lumia 930 and now I can’t change the background. I go to Settings>Personalisation>Start and then select a background in ‘My pictures’ or ‘Sample Images’ but the background (or the preview of it) won
    change. It’s just stuck on solid colour tiles and black/white background. I also tried going to the Photo app and setting a picture as a background but it only says “Try a different photo: We can’t set this one as your background.”

Gasha883, Sep 5, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

One thing to check. Go to the Ease of Access Centre, either at:
    Settings > Ease of Access > Other options
    or:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Centre\Make the computer easier to see
    and make sure 'show windows background' hasn't been turned off.

Bree, Sep 5, 2016
  5. DaHooch Win User
    Hi Bree, thank you for the info. It was set to show a background.

DaHooch, Sep 5, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    OK, so you've tried from Settings and it didn't work, but there's another way to set a background - find an image in File Explorer, right-click on it then select 'Set as desktop background' (apparently this should work even if windows isn't activated). Try it with the standard wallpaper in C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows

Background change (to picture) results in a solid colour, not an image [​IMG]

Apparently at least one other has got the 'Settings' method to work again by doing just that.

Can't Change Desktop Wallpaper

Bree, Sep 5, 2016
  7. DaHooch Win User
    that just changes the background to a solid colour too.

DaHooch, Sep 5, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

It does sound as if your Windows is behaving as if it isn't activated. Have you ever had a background image? Did anything change recently that may have caused activation problems? Have you re-installed Windows or changed any hardware, for example.

This tutorial may help, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Though I fear you may end up needing to use 'OPTION FOUR To Activate Windows 10 by Phone' here...
    Activate Windows 10

Bree, Sep 6, 2016
  9. shimshom Win User
    Open gpedit (Right Click Start Choose Run and enter gpedit.msc) if you have Win 10 pro or higher and go to User Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Start Menu and Taskbar look for an entry called Prevent users from customizing their start screen and make sure it's set to Not Configured or Disabled

shimshom, Sep 6, 2016
  10. DaHooch Win User
    I recently had this update:
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3176493)

I have noticed Cortana is not working either.

shishom, I right click and nothing happens. It's looking more like I need to reinstall windows. I did a deep scan with my (paid) antivirus and it's shows no issues. So whatever is wrong is either not detected or still a mystery.

DaHooch, Sep 6, 2016
  11. shimshom Win User
    if you're reinstalling Windows you might as well upgrade to the Anniversary Update. I always clean install Windows when there's a major change like the AU and run the ISO I download through a program called MSMG Toolkit to remove what I don't need before installing and I rarely if ever have any issues with Win 10. Sounds like you have corrupted files and running sfc /scannow could help but since you say nothing happens when you right click Start go to C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe right click it and choose Run as Admin and see if it helps. You might have to run it 3 times so run it then restart then run again

shimshom, Sep 6, 2016
  12. Bree New Member
  13. DaHooch Win User

I have done the sfc /scannow 3 times restarting each time and all is good.

Thank you for you time both of you. I appreciate your knowledge and sharing it with me.

Have a great day!

DaHooch, Sep 6, 2016
  14. DaHooch Win User
    I talked to Microsoft and they deducted my Motherboard's BIOS is the issue. It's last update was 2011. Such an old motherboard it's been 5 years since an update. I need to go back to 8.1 or buy a new Mobo. Or put up with the issues.

Again thanks greatly for the help!!

DaHooch, Sep 7, 2016
  15. Can't you go into your pictures( or wherever you have it) then right click on that image and look
    at the drop down for "set as background" and see if that works.
    I am not a Windows 10 user so it may or may not work for you as I am still using Windows 7.
    Best of luck to you,
    Dennis

The Howling Wolves, Sep 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Background change (to picture) results in a solid colour, not an image - Similar Threads - Background change picture

2. Windows Background keeps resetting my background to a solid colour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Background keeps resetting my background to a solid colour: I have recently upgraded to Windows 11 and seem to have this really annoying bug when I set a wallpaper: When I set a picture as the wallpaper and restart Windows, it resets to a solid color. I have tried many things online but nothing seems to work such as:- DISM.exe clean-...
  3. Windows Background keeps resetting my background to a solid colour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Background keeps resetting my background to a solid colour: I have recently upgraded to Windows 11 and seem to have this really annoying bug when I set a wallpaper: When I set a picture as the wallpaper and restart Windows, it resets to a solid color. I have tried many things online but nothing seems to work such as:- DISM.exe clean-...
  4. Windows background keeps changing to solid colour.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows background keeps changing to solid colour.: [ATTACH] I've got a fairly weird bug on Windows 10, where no matter what background I set my desktop to, occasionally icons will begin to create a solid colour around them, and also I can "paint" boxes on the desktop by clicking and dragging. I can get the background back...
  5. change background colour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change background colour: when I am doing a dark jigsaw, it is difficult to see when the background is also dark, I can't change the background colour because that command is not highlighted. how do I highlight, I have already uninstalled and re installed, does not see to work....
  6. Unable to change Black solid color desktop background image.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change Black solid color desktop background image.: After mistakenly installing and then removing an OEM manufacturers program on my Win 10 notebook, my desktop background image is now solid black. On the Personalisation screen, Background tab, this message "*Some of these settings are hidden or managed by your...
  7. Changing print background colour

Changing print background colour: When I try to print a form I get a black background with white writing. How do I change the background colour so that I get a white background with black writing?...
  8. Desktop background picture changes to solid color

Desktop background picture changes to solid color: When I right click on one of my own photos and ask to have it set as my desktop background the choice changes from picture to solid color instead of showing my photo... I've tried most everything to no avail.....
  9. Change Folder Background Colour

Change Folder Background Colour: How to change Folder Background Colour https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-folder-background-colour/1ad34827-a83d-4f7b-afa6-3b7e1cc91499
  10. Change background colour settings

Change background colour settings: How do I change the background colour so that the pages are not black with white text https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/change-background-colour-settings/f468001b-34f2-435c-a69c-dd7a9c20e229