Windows 10: Background slideshow not working

Discus and support Background slideshow not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a background slideshow in operation, inherited from Windows 7 when I changed to Windows 10. I know how to personalise the background, but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ralphholmes, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Background slideshow not working

I have a background slideshow in operation, inherited from Windows 7 when I changed to Windows 10. I know how to personalise the background, but the slideshow does not work when I select a folder other than the one I inherited, even when there are suitable background pictures in the folder. Obviously, I could just put pictures for my background into the one folder which does work, but I would like to be able to select any picture folder, as should work. Can anyone help?
    Cheers
    R

:)

ralphholmes, Sep 12, 2015

2. Rotating photos on the screen

heck if Desktop slideshow is turned on

Well, the desktop slideshow feature will not work if it’s turned off. So it’s important to make sure that the feature is enabled under Settings.

To check the status of desktop slideshow feature:

Step 1: Right-click on the empty area of desktop, click Personalize, and then click Background.

Step 2: Under the Background section, make sure that Slideshow option is selected.

Allow slideshow when on battery

With default settings, Windows 10 doesn’t automatically change the desktop background picture when your PC is running on battery power to improve the backup time. In short, the desktop slideshow doesn’t work when the PC is using battery power.

However, you can configure Windows 10 to allow slideshow feature when on battery by following given below steps.

Step 1: Right-click on desktop, click Personalize, and then click Background.

Step 2: Turn on the option labelled Allow slideshow when on battery feature to force Windows 10 to automatically change the desktop background even if the PC is running on battery power.

Check the number of wallpapers in the selected folder

As you likely know, while enabling the desktop slideshow feature, Windows 10 asks you to select a folder containing pictures that you want to use for the slideshow feature.

If the slideshow is not working, make sure that the folder you selected has at least two pictures as Windows 10 can’t automatically change the desktop background if there is only one picture inside the selected folder.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 12, 2015
  3. janann Win User
    Desktop background stays black (Windows 10)

I did find a way to make the slideshow work, (since it doesn't work with the option button turned on
    under ease of access). I go to settings, personalization, background, slideshow and browse. I then go to my "picture" folder and find the folder of pictures that I want to "slideshow" in the background. I highlight that folder, then right
    click to "open in new window". I then select the "Home" tab, click on "select all", close, and click on "choose folder". I now have my background slideshow. It is a lot of steps to take, hopefully Windows will correct this problem!

janann, Sep 12, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Background slideshow not working

Cliff S, Sep 12, 2015
  5. One solution is this: drop this into the run command or a command prompt. " control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper "
    This brings up a dialogue looking remarkably like Windows 7, but it works.
    Why doesn't the Windows 10 app work?

6. Thank you Cliff S for responding, but that wasn't what I asked.
    Cheers
    R

7. Cliff S New Member
    You can select the picture folders you want and set the slideshow settings just like in win7 and win8 using
    *Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,@desktop
    *Arrow control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper
    in the run dialog. That's how I understood you're question.

Cliff S, Sep 12, 2015
  8. Background slideshow not working

Do you know if I can make a desktop shortcut to open cmd.exe and have it automatically run " control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper "?
    Cheers
    R

ralphholmes, Sep 14, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    @Brink already has a VBS file created somewhere. Maybe when he see his name mentioned´, he'll pop in and link you to it, to download. I have it, but I forgot which thread it was in.

Or better yet check out this thread: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html Where he revived a few more hidden customization features, and put them in the Desktop right-click menu.

Cliff S, Sep 15, 2015
  10. Make a desktop shortcut with this as the target:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper
    The switch /c closes the cmd window after it executes the command. Use /k to leave the cmd window open.
    You can then pin the shortcut to the taskbar.

ralphholmes, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Background slideshow not working

1. Background slideshow not working - Similar Threads - Background slideshow working

2. Slideshow background not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slideshow background not working.: Slideshow background doesn't work on Windows 11.Even though I never set it up in Windows 11, it automatically came over when I installed and started using Windows 11. I never did anything to change it. But then, after 10 days, it stopped working and nothing I did could bring...
  3. Slideshow background not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slideshow background not working.: Slideshow background doesn't work on Windows 11.Even though I never set it up in Windows 11, it automatically came over when I installed and started using Windows 11. I never did anything to change it. But then, after 10 days, it stopped working and nothing I did could bring...
  4. My Background Slideshow is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Background Slideshow is not working: I have tried everything that was suggested. My settings were already set to what was suggested. I even tried to save my Theme for sharing. It only let me save it as a .deskthemepack. I didn't have any other options.I do notice that as soon as I right click on the screen and...
  5. My Background Slideshow is not working

My Background Slideshow is not working: I have tried everything that was suggested. My settings were already set to what was suggested. I even tried to save my Theme for sharing. It only let me save it as a .deskthemepack. I didn't have any other options.I do notice that as soon as I right click on the screen and...
  6. My Background Slideshow is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. background slideshow

background slideshow: in window 11. when i select a folder to have a slideshow of image,only a part of it,are showing. it it start again with the sama image. why it not showing all image? they are a setting where i can select all in one click? thank you for your help....
  8. Slideshow Background Not Working

Slideshow Background Not Working: I wanted to start using a slideshow lockscreen background recently so I made a new folder with all the pictures I wanted. After opening the lockscreen settings I changed the wallpaper to slideshow and deleted the default albums that were already there. For some reason, after...
  9. Background slideshow stops working

Background slideshow stops working: Greetings - A minor annoyance with background slideshow - it works for 2-3 days then seems to "forget" to cycle to new background images. If I go to Settings > Personalization > Background it will immediately change the background before I can change any settings. The...
  10. Background Slideshow

Background Slideshow: With Windows 7 I could set a background slideshow of my pictures by picking from all of my pictures. With Windows 10, it looks like I cannot do that without arranging the chosen pictures in a series first. I admit that I'm not that Windows savvy, but is there any way to set a...