Windows 10: Backgroundtaskhost.exe and Backgroundtransferhost.exe Open/Close Issue

Discus and support Backgroundtaskhost.exe and Backgroundtransferhost.exe Open/Close Issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. For two days now, Backgroundtaskhost.exe and Backgroundtransferhost.exe have been opening and closing instantly and constantly in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by y0himba, Jul 29, 2016.

1. y0himba Win User

Backgroundtaskhost.exe and Backgroundtransferhost.exe Open/Close Issue

Hello. For two days now, Backgroundtaskhost.exe and Backgroundtransferhost.exe have been opening and closing instantly and constantly in the background. Command lines are:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\backgroundTaskHost.exe" -ServerName:App.AppXmtcan0h2tfbfy7k9kn8hbxb6dmzz1zh0.mca" (Doesn't change)
    "BackgroundTransferHost.exe" -ServerName:BackgroundTransferHost.1" (Doesn't change)

I have run updates, scanned for viruses using MBAM and Windows Defender, used the DISM image tool to repair and clean, and tried sfc /scannow. Nothing stops them from this behavior. I am at the end of my troubleshooting ability.

Since I have a sound for program open and close program, I need the sound cues to alert me to background activity, it has begun to drive me crazy trying to figure out why this is happening. I was asleep and the computer was idle when it started, and I have made no changes to the computer for weeks. I use it to play games for the most part.

ANY and all help is welcome.

Backgroundtaskhost.exe and Backgroundtransferhost.exe Open/Close Issue [​IMG]

:)

y0himba, Jul 29, 2016

2. Windows 10 and CPU fans

Won't any adverse issues arise from deleting them?
    From Microsoft Background Task Host and From Microsoft Download/Upload Host.

C:\Windows\System32 backgroundTaskHost.exe and BackgroundTransferHost.exe

CharlesNwaeke, Jul 29, 2016
  3. Cybot Win User
    Backgroundtaskhost frequently interupting full screen games and movies - windows 10 Professional 15063.138

ever since I upgraded windows from 14393.1066 to 15063.138, a window will quickly open then close. I was only recently able to identify the process that was causing it, backgroundtaskhost.exe I don't know what this .exe does, but it is appearently a part
    of windows. when the windows opens and closes, I am usually in the middle of a fullscreen application. in the best case scenario, the application I use, will minimize. in the worst scenario, it will crash or I am unable to return to the application. but the
    constant interruptions are unacceptable. is this an issue that others are seeing as well? is there a fix on the way?

Cybot, Jul 29, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

I do not know the answer to the problem as I haven't experienced this before, however looking at the Command Line you posted from Process Explorer for backgroundTaskHost, the ServerName string ends in .mca. This is purely a guess, but could it be something to do with Minecraft that is causing this problem?

ARC1020, Jul 29, 2016
  5. y0himba Win User
    App.AppXmtcan0h2tfbfy7k9kn8hbxb6dmzz1zh0.mca
    .mca is a Minecraft extension? I cannot find any files with the extension .mca on my system.....

y0himba, Jul 29, 2016
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    MCA is a world format file used by Minecraft, and as you use the PC mainly to play games it made me wonder whether the problem could be something to do with Minecraft. However, as said, this was purely a guess. A quick search for the same server name string brings up entries to do with 'Windows Spotlight', so I now think it's unlikely to do with Minecraft and is actually due to something else instead, therefore please ignore my previous post.

Another idea, do you have any third-party firewall, anti-telemetry, etc. software that could be blocking backgroundTaskHost.exe/BackgroundTransferHost.exe from doing what it's trying to do, and that's why it keeps trying over and over?

ARC1020, Jul 29, 2016
  7. y0himba Win User
    Just using Windows Firewall, that's all.

y0himba, Jul 29, 2016
  8. Backgroundtaskhost.exe and Backgroundtransferhost.exe Open/Close Issue

TairikuOkami, Jul 29, 2016
  9. y0himba Win User
    I cleared event viewer this morning since there were literally months of entries there. There are no entries there related to Backgroundtransferhost or Backgroundtaskhost after 9 hours. I wish I knew more about what it is doing, the only info I have seen is about Windows Spotlight, where Windows downloads backgrounds for the lockscreen, which I don't even use.

Edit: I have had the sharing of updates off for quite awhile....

Edit2: Is there a way to verify installed apps? Not applications, but Windows Native Apps from the store.

y0himba, Jul 29, 2016
  10. ARC1020 Win User
    I have a feeling this is one of those issues that will be tricky to get to the root cause of and the problem with this type of issue is you could spend days and days trying to figure out what's causing it and still be no wiser by the end of it. And you're pretty much on your own as I doubt Dell would be able of much help as it will be seen as a Windows problem.

Unless someone else comes along with an idea, I'd be inclined to wait for the Anniversary Update in 2 days time and see if the problem still occurs after the Anniversary Update has installed. As it's a big update, it's possible it will reset/overwrite whatever is causing the problem.

If it's still the same after the Anniversary Update, I'd be inclined to consider backing up all your files and resetting the PC from the Settings App (Option Two here). Although it's a sledge hammer approach and daunting for those who don't do it very often, sometimes it's better to spend a day resetting and reinstalling your computer than to spend days and days trying to fix a problem and find yourself still no better off (especially if the PC was due a spring clean anyway).

ARC1020, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backgroundtaskhost.exe and Backgroundtransferhost.exe Open/Close Issue - Similar Threads - Backgroundtaskhost exe Backgroundtransferhost

2. Cant open a .exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant open a .exe: Hi, so i wanted to install VolumeID https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/volumeid , i downloaded it, opened it but it closed itself immediately, and now i cant open the .exe again, everytime i double click, nothing appens, i have tried searching on the web...
  3. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  4. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  5. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. .exe files not opening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    .exe files not opening: I Recently Got Rid Of Malware On My Windows 10 Laptop, But It Doesn't Let Me Open Any .exe Files Anymore. It Gives Me The Error "Windows can't open this type of file.exe". Does Anyone Know A Solution To This Problem?...
  7. urgent! exe not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    urgent! exe not opening: my exe file any any app not openingand showing find new app to open .exe filei by mistake deleted some registery under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWAREComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWAREi have deleted lasses key andoem and many software file that i have uninstalled please...
  8. Closed WaasMedic Agent Exe

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Closed WaasMedic Agent Exe: A little bit ago I used task manager and hit end task on WaaSMedic Agent. Now, I'm hearing it's an important part of the updating process for windows, but I don't see it anywhere in my active tasks. Should I be worried about that and do I need to do anything to fix it?...
  9. Opening exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening exe file: I have upgraded my windows 7 laptop from windows 7 to 10 and now I cannot run exe file by clicking on it or clicking run as administrator , the file doesn't open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-exe-file/a23ad151-4dca-47b8-8bcd-a9e25a4b44dd
  10. rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously

in Windows 10 Support
    rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously: All this started back in early August, or about the time "Windows Creator" was installed. I have sound notifications for processes that open or close, a paranoia from long ago, or I would have never known this was going on. rundll32.exe continuously opens and closes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. BackgroundTaskHost.exe vs BacgroundTaskHost upload/download?

2. download App.AppXmtcan0h2tfbfy7k9kn8hbxb6dmzz1zh0.mca

3. C:\Windows\system32\backgroundTaskHost.exe ServerName:App.AppXmtcan0h2tfbfy7k9kn8hbxb6dmzz1zh0.mca

4. backgroundtaskhost