Windows 10: Backing up favorites in edge

Discus and support Backing up favorites in edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Went to backup my favourites in edge earlier today and did a google on how to achieve it and an article came up from this site. Followed the info from... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by menu, May 18, 2016.

1. menu Win User

Backing up favorites in edge

Went to backup my favourites in edge earlier today and did a google on how to achieve it and an article came up from this site.
    Followed the info from the page that came up actually it's one that Brink has written.
    I opened file explorer and copied the ''
    the address bar pressed enter but nothing showed up in the file explorer screen,Also checked the settings in control panel of the section show or hide files and folders the box for show was already checked.Any help here please.Ooops the into should have slipped in when I did the quote.Sorry.

Should have been as above.
    Many thanks.

:)

2. Backing up Microsoft Edge favorites

Hi Mark,

I realize that you want to backup Microsoft Edge favorites. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to refer to the reply posted by “Yashwanth Kotakuri” from this thread to check if that helps.

Backing up favorites and favorites bar for Edge

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, May 18, 2016
  3. graye Win User
    Backing up Microsoft Edge favorites

Edge doesn't store its favorites as files like Internet Explorer does. Instead, they are stored in a database. So, that means that you really can't use the File Explorer anymore to view, print, or copy your favorites.

But, there still is a way to perform a backup... There are two approaches... a simple one that only works if your using the Edge "Sync your content" feature, and a more turn-key version where you install a 3rd-party application

1) If you are using Sync your content, you can copy the contents of the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\RoamingState for safe keeping. And then just copy it back after a crash/reset

2) You can use the free 3rd-party
    EdgeManage
    application to perform a backup/restore (plus many more features). This technique works without regard to the "Sync your content" settings.

However, there currently isn't a good way to print favorites... Yes, it can be done... but it is quite complicated. It would require EdgeManage, switching views, copy-n-pasting into an Excel spreadsheet and the removing a lot of useless info, and then
    printing.

graye, May 18, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 19, 2016
  5. menu Win User
    Thanks Brink I have the latest update Windows 10 home 318.

The link you gave that's the one I followed.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Double check to see if you may have your favorites in the old location below still.

Code: %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites[/quote]

Brink, May 19, 2016
  7. menu Win User
    Brink Sorry still nothing coming up.

8. menu Win User

Will get back to you later.It's getting late here now.I do hope we can fix this.

Build No: 1511 10586.318

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok, I'll see you later. *Smile

Do you have any favorites available in Microsoft Edge?

As a test, add a favorite to see if the location in your first post shows up afterwards.

Brink, May 19, 2016
  10. menu Win User
    Thanks I tried your last with no luck
    I don't know if I have the correct favourite settings,I checked my wife's laptop and its the same as my desktop.
    Regarding the Favourite bar on top I don't have the fav bar set to show its on the right hand side,I click on the fav star then select what I require from there.
    See screen shot.Possible that I have missed out in the settings.

Many thanks Brink.

Backing up favorites in edge [​IMG]

11. Mine is set same as yours so should work ok

hTconeM9user, May 19, 2016
  12. menu Win User
    Well thanks for that.*Smile
    Would it be possible for you to give me a rundown on how do you get to find your favourite folder.
    Could you Please give step by step on how you get to see the fa folder.Then we will see if I'm doing something wrong here.
    I would be much appreciated if you could.
    David.*Sad

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Just to verify @menu, when you went to the location below in File Explorer, did you see this like in the screenshot below?

Favorites are now stored in an ESE database file that can't be viewed like can with Internet Explorer favorites in your "%UserProfile%\Favorites" folder.

Code: %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default[/quote]
    Backing up favorites in edge [​IMG]

Brink, May 19, 2016
  14. menu Win User
    Thanks for being patient with me.
    No the file explorer was blank.Just said Working on it...... Nothing else

15. All I do is click on the 3 lines next to the star and the app showing a pencil on a pad
    Then all my folders show
    Then I just click the one I want
    The only time I click the star is if I want to either add a folder or a file to which ever folder I want.
    So if you are doing that then as far as I know you are doing it right

hTconeM9user, May 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Backing up favorites in edge - Similar Threads - Backing favorites edge

2. favorites on Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    favorites on Edge: Can I make Edge openwith a verticcal favorites list similar to the way IE has been doing mit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/favorites-on-edge/d2a18a59-581e-4e1b-9e51-6f64a533d3c3
  3. Edge Favorites

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Edge Favorites: Suddenly I'm unable to right click on a link in my favorites folder and have it open in a new window, which I used to be able to do. Now when I click on open in new window, nothing happens. If I click open in a new tab, it does and also when I right click on links in various...
  4. EDGE Favorites

in Windows 10 Customization
    EDGE Favorites: How do you SORT the favorites? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-favorites/05bcaa2d-4440-450c-8012-506287f63127
  5. Edge Favorites

in Windows 10 Support
    Edge Favorites: I don't usually use Edge, I like IE11; but I've had to dabble in Edge from time to time. I was wondering, where are the Favorites saved? I looked up & found an article that instructed to go to:...
  6. Edge Favorites

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge Favorites: How do you change the width of the Favorites Side panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/edge-favorites/7d3ac0b7-4fb5-4364-a313-2804ea3e431f
  7. favorites edge

in Browsers and Email
    favorites edge: Hi Normaly when i do a reinstall of windows i've got my favorits of edage automaticly back But nu not why ? 97290
  8. Edge Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Favorites: I too would like to access my W10 Edge Favorites list to edit them. But I find it incredible that no-one (including Microsoft) appears to know where they. I did come across one reply in the Windows 10 forum that listed them but not in the folders in the drop-down list in Edge...
  9. Edge Favorites mixed up

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Favorites mixed up: Hi, I have been using Windows 10 since the launch date, with not many problems. However, when I logged on today all my favorites in Microsoft Edge were in a different order, folders and individual websites were all jumbled up and it took me a while to find the ones I wanted....
  10. Edge Favorites.

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Favorites.: I just noticed after doing a clean install of windows 10 1607, that my favorites in ms edge are gone. Is there anyway to get them back? Henry 58963

Users found this page by searching for:

1. backing up favorites in edge for dummies