Windows 10: Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive

Discus and support Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a 1TB hdd which contains 400GB of files Is it possible to back up and restore the larger hdd and restore the hdd and restore it to the smaller... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Sep 17, 2017.

1. provlima Win User

Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive

I have a 1TB hdd which contains 400GB of files
    Is it possible to back up and restore the larger hdd and restore the hdd and restore it to the smaller ssd?

:)

provlima, Sep 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 freezes when trying to backup a system image or when doing a chkdsk.

I have a c drive which is an ssd and a d drive which is a hdd.

The ssd back up works fine. A backup or chkdsk of the hdd freezes. What can I do to fix the problem?

Talita's Email, Sep 17, 2017
  3. paldm Win User
    Unable to recover - System drive too small

There is only one OS on the 120GB SSD (system drive) at a time.

Using the system image backup option - I backed up both my Windows 7 OS to an external 200GB HDD, and my Windows 10 OS to a separate external 200GB HDD.

When I was running Windows 7, I would periodically create a new image to the 200GB HDD, and I could reload the 120GB SSD from the saved image whenever I wanted, no issues.

Now trying to restore the Windows 10 from the other 200GB HDD to the formatted SSD, I am unable to using the Windows 10 system repair tool on a 16GB USB drive.

Does that help?

paldm, Sep 17, 2017
  4. Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive

"back up and restore the larger hdd and restore the hdd and restore it to the smaller ssd"................

Can you rewrite your question so we better understand you?

ignatzatsonic, Sep 17, 2017
  5. provlima Win User
    Thanks for your message
    What I'd like to do is back up a 1TB ssd and restore the image to a 500GB smaller SSD
    The data and OS on the hdd are about 400GB

provlima, Sep 17, 2017
  6. Should be relatively easy.

Use Macrium Reflect Free Edition; tutorial on this site and all over youtube and elsewhere.

It will create a single MRIMG file, about half the size of your existing installation; so about 200 GB, give or take.

Save the 200 GB on some other drive, probably external, could be internal;

Then use Macrium to "restore" to the 500 GB SSD.

I'd remove the larger SSD after I made the image, install the smaller SSD; and then do the restore using Macrium menus.

You'll need a Macrium recovery disk to boot the PC. Make that within Macrium as soon as you install it. Make sure it will boot the PC.

Most likely you'd tell Macrium to include ALL partitions on the large SSD in that one image file.

Do you have any complicating factors like dual boot, multiple operating systems, etc?

7. provlima Win User
    Thank you for your help
    Want to correct something-
    What I meant to say is back up a 1TB hdd to a smaller 500 GB ssd

provlima, Sep 17, 2017
  8. Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive

Shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

What matters is if the SSD is large enough. You say there is only 400 occupied on the HDD, so it should fit on the 500 GB SSD.

You need to make sure that you select ALL partitions on the HDD to make sure they are all contained within that single MRIMG file.

When you open Macrium, it should show you ALL of those partitions on the HDD. Make sure you select ALL of them, including your data partition.

Look at this pic:

The top drive is my SSD. It shows 4 partitions. Notice the checkmark next to all 4. That's what you need to confirm.

They may be checked by default. Or you can just poke "image this disk".

The next screens will ask you what to name it. Use the default.

Then choose where to save it.

Make that recovery disk and confirm it will boot the PC.

Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive [​IMG]

9. RolandJS Win User
    If I understand the situation, and if my home experience with MR6 & MR7 applies, I think MR needs to be "told" the size of the target device, else, there might be a 400GB+- partition and an un-allocated area on the target SSD once the restore operation is finished.

RolandJS, Sep 18, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    That is not the case as original partition is shrunk to fit.

Your case would only apply if original C drive partition was less than 500 GB. Even then it is a simple matter to resize C drive anyway.

cereberus, Sep 18, 2017
  11. Use Macrium Reflect Free Edition

robertopisa, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive

1. Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive - Similar Threads - Backing hdd restoring

2. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD showing up as HDD: since this question is already closed in thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd-in-device-manager/e1dad58d-4bbb-40f6-862b-783b18f06371 I refer to it herewith again. Since it has at the time of writing this one here one hundred "I've...
  3. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD showing up as HDD: My SSD is showing up as HDD in task manager and disk management, i need it to show up as SSD so i can install windows subsystem for android https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd/d314266f-d87b-446a-bc38-31e6655fed25
  4. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD showing up as HDD: My SSD is showing up as HDD in task manager and disk management, i need it to show up as SSD so i can install windows subsystem for android https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-showing-up-as-hdd/d314266f-d87b-446a-bc38-31e6655fed25
  5. Back up and Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up and Restore: Is back up and restore being removed from Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-and-restore/363a9b10-a680-4ac0-9893-a98771b1b31d
  6. SSD showing up as HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD showing up as HDD: Hey there, I recently had a 1TB Seagate HDD installed on to my Asus ROG laptop which already had an inbuilt 1TB SSD. But I am surprised as to why my Task Manager enlists my SSD with the credentials of my HDD and my HDD with that of my SSD. I know it is switched because my...
  7. Back up and Restore

Back up and Restore: Win 10 Pro 64bit. Ever since I updated. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809, I cannot back up Computer. I get Error Code 0x80070013 Local Disk (E). I have 3-computers and get the same error code. Thanks...
  8. Back up and Restore

Back up and Restore: Win 10 Pro 64bit. Ever since I updated. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809, I cannot back up Computer. I get Error Code 0x80070013 Local Disk (E). I have 3-computers and get the same error code. Thanks...
  9. Restoring HDD image to SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...
  10. Back up and restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up and restore: Why does my windows 10 home have windows 7 backup and restore? It's a new machine and it came with windows 10. Does anyone know? 111055

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Backing Up hdd and restoring to ssd drive - Windows 10 ...