Windows 10: Backing up NAS files --4TB passport USB3 HDD's available

Discus and support Backing up NAS files --4TB passport USB3 HDD's available in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there Backing up NAS data can be problematic but remember if you have a lot of data on NAS server then consider that you could get HDD failures... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Dec 8, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Backing up NAS files --4TB passport USB3 HDD's available

Hi there

Backing up NAS data can be problematic but remember if you have a lot of data on NAS server then consider that you could get HDD failures on that too.

The new 4TB portable passport size USB HDD's are great -- around 150 EUR currently -- I like the small footprint and portability of these HDD's as well.

I've formatted mine as EXT4 as my NAS is Linux but if you use GPT they work on Windows too.

4TB on a self powered portable small drive is great stuff -- until SSD's of this size become cheap it's worrh looking at these for this type of backup -- there's no reason why these drives should be unreliable.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 8, 2016

2. Windows 1709 update on my desktop 11-16-2017 driver failure

Well 1-7-2018 Puter did update earlier and my rosewill network card is back working... YAAAAAAAAAAA

Update --- 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)

OOPS Killed my USB3 Tho.......................

Ok Apparently it has to do with my Seagate USB3 4TB external drive I unplugged it and my USB3 NAS and USB3 Flash works ok.........

I'm Offically going to go CRAZY now......... LOL

jamesparsonsPA, Dec 8, 2016
  3. GaryT220 Win User
    Problem with File History in Windows 10

I seem to have a variation on this problem, specifically item #2 multiple backups of unchanged files.

I am backing up to a Synology NAS. I am backing up the data on the local drive which seems to work fine. No duplicates. I also have an external USB3 attached hard drive that I want to back up to the Synology as well and that is where the problem is.
    It is creating multiple copies of unchanged files that reside on the external USB drive.

This has filled up a 4TB drive in only a couple of days. Am I doing something wrong, or does W10 File History support external drives, or is there some setup issue? I set this up by simply adding the drive letter (in this case FBacking up NAS files --4TB passport USB3 HDD's available :) to the list of folders
    to be backup up, turned on File History and activated 'Backup Using File History'.

Any Advice?

Gary

GaryT220, Dec 8, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Sage advice. Might look into a backup for the backup!

Regarding SSD sizes I guess you could raid two 2tb ones together?

swarfega, Dec 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Backing up NAS files --4TB passport USB3 HDD's available - Similar Threads - Backing NAS files

2. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2: The last time I tried to ask this question someone came back saying 365 isn't a backup solution; I know this. I'm trying to use the storage pool built into Windows 10. I have two 1TB SSD trying to run a mirror and two 4TB HDD intended to be the house Plex/File Server/Backup...
  3. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2: The last time I tried to ask this question someone came back saying 365 isn't a backup solution; I know this. I'm trying to use the storage pool built into Windows 10. I have two 1TB SSD trying to run a mirror and two 4TB HDD intended to be the house Plex/File Server/Backup...
  4. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD Part 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD: I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very resource intensive. She said its been bogging down lately so I logged in to see what I could find. The giant red flag for me that...
  6. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD: I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very resource intensive. She said its been bogging down lately so I logged in to see what I could find. The giant red flag for me that...
  7. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. My Passport Back Up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Passport Back Up: When I connect by Backup USB My Passport Ultra to my computer the details come up on screen of My Passport Ultra. Previously I used to get a message asking what I want to do with the USB. I then went to Settings > Backup straight away. with no problems. Now it takes 10 +...
  9. Brilliant - USB 3 self powered 4TB passport HDD's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brilliant - USB 3 self powered 4TB passport HDD's: Hi there Really recommend these WD 4TB self powered USB 3 drives Fast, small, very portable and so far seem very reliable - have tested 2 of them running for around 2 months 24/7 -- no issues whatsoever so I'm satisfied that the reliability is fine. Tested running 2...
  10. 4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly

in Windows 10 Support
    4TB HDD - Windows 10 sets up perfectly: Hi there I installed a new 4 TB internal SATA HDD yesterday ( new data disk) -- Windows 10 prompted me immediately after W10 had booted (from an SSD) on boot up -- Uninitialized Disk select GUID / GPT or MBR. For HDD's > 2TB you need GPT to use full size partition....