Windows 10: Backing up of StartScreen

Discus and support Backing up of StartScreen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 8.1 I used to backup my Startscreen settings as follows: Step 1: Open the Run dialog box by hitting Windows key + R. Step 2: Type,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aliskander, Nov 10, 2015.

  1. Backing up of StartScreen


    In Windows 8.1 I used to backup my Startscreen settings as follows:

    Step 1: Open the Run dialog box by hitting Windows key + R.
    Step 2: Type, "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows" and hit Enter to open
    Windows Explorer to the location of the Start screen layout files.
    Step 3: Copy the files, "appsFolder.itemdata-ms" and
    "appsfolder.itemdata-ms.bak" to your backup folder.

    In Windows 10 I find in that same path location only one file:
    appsFolder.itemdata-ms.remote

    I suspect this file is a sort of pointer to the real files located in
    the c:\Windows.old folder.
    Is this correct?
    How can I backup the StartScreen settings?

    Is there a way to correct that?

    thanks in advance, gabriël

    :)
     
    aliskander, Nov 10, 2015
    #1

  2. No startscreen on Lumia 950

    I recently bought a Lumia 950, I set it up, but it seems like it doesn't have a startscreen. I just get the app-list and I can't get to the startscreen in any way (swipe right or by pressing the windows button). Even after a few updates (currently running
    1703) and a few soft resets the startscreen is nowhere in sight. Is there anything I can do to get it? I never encountered this problem with any Lumia I had in my hands.
     
    Pieter Syperda, Nov 10, 2015
    #2
  3. Lumia 620 - Live Tile and Internet Explorer

    You do not need to close the browser really, just hit the start button to jump back to the startscreen.
     
    Paul van der Heu, Nov 10, 2015
    #3
Thema:

Backing up of StartScreen

Loading...
  1. Backing up of StartScreen - Similar Threads - Backing StartScreen

  2. Microsoft Adds Option to Remap Windows 11 Copilot Key Back to Right Ctrl or Context Menu

    in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Adds Option to Remap Windows 11 Copilot Key Back to Right Ctrl or Context Menu: Microsoft has confirmed that a Windows 11 update set to arrive later this year will give users the option to remap the dedicated Copilot key on supported devices back to either the Right Ctrl key or the Context menu key. This change addresses workflow issues that arose when...
  3. Microsoft Introduces Cloud-Initiated Driver Recovery to Roll Back Problematic Windows...

    in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Introduces Cloud-Initiated Driver Recovery to Roll Back Problematic Windows...: Microsoft has announced a new feature called Cloud-Initiated Driver Recovery, which automatically rolls back problematic drivers delivered through Windows Update to a known-good version without needing user or hardware partner intervention. The feature is set to be released...
  4. Google and Back Market Launch $3 ChromeOS Flex USB Kit for Windows 10 Users Locked Out of...

    in Windows 10 News
    Google and Back Market Launch $3 ChromeOS Flex USB Kit for Windows 10 Users Locked Out of...: Google has introduced a physical ChromeOS Flex USB Kit priced at $3, in partnership with refurbished tech retailer Back Market. The kit is aimed at users still running Windows 10 on hardware that doesn’t meet Windows 11's system requirements. Windows 10 reached the end of...
  5. Copilot account suspended; How to get it back!

    in Windows 10 News
    Copilot account suspended; How to get it back!: [ATTACH]Receiving a notification that your Copilot account has been suspended can be both frustrating and confusing, particularly if you were using the tool without issue just moments before. Whether you are a developer relying on GitHub Copilot or a user of Microsoft’s AI...
  6. Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable rolled back or corrupted after Windows Update

    in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable rolled back or corrupted after Windows Update: [ATTACH]After installing the latest cumulative update for Windows, you may find that applications that were running smoothly just yesterday start displaying errors related to missing DLL files or runtime libraries. Upon inspecting your installed programs, you might notice...
  7. Microsoft Starts Dialing Back Windows 11 AI Features After User Backlash

    in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Starts Dialing Back Windows 11 AI Features After User Backlash: Microsoft’s aggressive push to embed AI throughout Windows 11 may finally be hitting the brakes. Following sustained backlash from power users and the wider Windows community, the company is now reconsidering how — and where — artificial intelligence should appear inside the...
  8. Image Resizer if back in Power toys for Windows 10

    in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Image Resizer if back in Power toys for Windows 10: [ATTACH] I was not aware of this but Microsoft removed the image resizer from Power Toys a while back and have added it back in. This is a slick tool for increasing the size of images that's I've been using on Windows 11 so it looks like Microsoft is throwing us a bone to...
  9. Getting the BSOD and im trying to reset or even go back to a system restore point, but...

    in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting the BSOD and im trying to reset or even go back to a system restore point, but...: One day, my pc just didn't want to work. I tried resetting, and it said no changes were made. I try to go to system restore points, and it won't let me go further. I have looked for a couple of days now and haven't found any command prompts that have worked. Please help me...
  10. how do i get the win8 star screen back? the REAL win 8 startscreen

    in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i get the win8 star screen back? the REAL win 8 startscreen: i've used win 8, and 8.1 since day 1, and have fallen inlove with the zippiness and productivity enhancing start screen. the start menu to me is taking 35 steps back to the 90s. now that i have 10, i want that back, is there an extension or 3rd party vendor who has come up...