Windows 10: Backing up recovery partition on an ASUS laptop before a clean install

Discus and support Backing up recovery partition on an ASUS laptop before a clean install in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have an ASUS X555UA (F555 series) - Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Laptop purchased about 2 months ago. I would like to backup the recovery partition. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ITPro, May 15, 2016.

1. ITPro Win User

Backing up recovery partition on an ASUS laptop before a clean install

I have an ASUS X555UA (F555 series) - Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    Laptop purchased about 2 months ago. I would like to backup the recovery partition. I called ASUS and they do not ship recovery ,media- either in or out of warranty and that it flat out isn't available. Backtracker (Which worked on Windows 8.1 PC's subsequently updated to Windows 10 does not work). In order to factory reset the PC, I would have to ship it to ASUS to be done (if under warranty it is no cost). I have Windows 10 EDU (has most features of Enterprise) I got from Dreamspark. Clean installation would wipe the recovery partition.

Is there any way to do a clean install but preserve (back up the recovery partition prior to clean installing Windows 10 EDU)?

Thank You!

:)

ITPro, May 15, 2016
  2. JoshiBKG Win User

What happens to my old license when I upgrade to Windows 10?

Hello Kersi.

You have to create a system image (read more about that
    here
    ), so you will be able to perform a full system restore in case of a problem or of a crash.

Maybe your PC has been set up with a recovery partition by ASUS that can be used to create a set of recovery disks by means of some ASUS utility: read the PC documentation to know how you can do that (if you can, of course).

Bye.

I too have an ASUS laptop that did not come with recovery DVD but with a recovery partition. 1 year ago I had a little problem with my laptop, on top of that I lost access to my recovery partition-don't ask-(and I had not created the DVDs yet). I downloaded
    Clean Windows ISO from the windows website corresponding to the version I already had on my laptop, and did a clean install from USB and used the windows key that came with the laptop(look at the bottom of your laptop, if it came with windows it should have
    the corresponding windows key sticker sticked to your laptop). And after the clean install, all I had to do was go to ASUS website and download and install all drivers associated to my laptop model. My laptop has been working normally since then(for more that
    1 year), no problem, just as when I first bought it.

So, even if you do a Windows 10 clean install and really mess up your laptop(to the point of losing your recovery DVDs and recovery partition), as long as you have the key and access to windows website and a DVD/creating a bootable USB, you should be fine
    as long as upgrading to windows 10 does not make your current key unuseable with window 7(according to windows, if you upgrade, your key should still work with windows 7 or windows 10 clean installs on that same device, so we don't have to worry about that).

JoshiBKG, May 15, 2016
  3. DracoRex Win User
    How to get back ASUS preinstalled apps after Windows 10 clean install?

Hey guys,

Yesterday, I did a clean install of Windows 10 since my pc (ASUS S300CA) was getting unbearable to use - a lot of problems. I couldn't do a normal reset because it said that it could not find the recovery environment so I ended up performing a clean install
    of Windows 10 through a USB and deleting all partitions and everything. Everything is working fine but my question is that is there any way to get back some of the preinstalled apps that come with an ASUS laptop such as Power4Gear and stuff? I tried downloading
    the driver for it and it installed fine but it doesn't seem to be working at all.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

DracoRex, May 15, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi and welcome to Tenforums.

You can use Macrium Reflect Free to image any partition, or your complete hard drive.

simrick, May 15, 2016
  5. Kyhi Win User
    either the ASUS utility
    or
    control panel > recovery > create a recovery drive

But better off using Macrium to do a complete system (PC) backup

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    When running Windows setup, select the custom install option. Delete all the partitions on the hard drive except for the recovery partition. Select the unallocated space to install to. That will preserve the recovery partition, however most factory recovery partitions are useless without the factory software that restores the computer from them.

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2016
  7. ITPro Win User
    I just found the log for the "Reset this PC" under the Advanced Troubleshooting Options (This is the Windows based reset/refresh to factory default). It appears that some of the Windows files were corrupt anyway. (When you choose to show hidden folders, you can see where some of the files and folders are. I was looking in the log either dism, panther or install. There were a lot of failures.

ITPro, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backing up recovery partition on an ASUS laptop before a clean install - Similar Threads - Backing recovery partition

2. Clean install + keep HP recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install + keep HP recovery partition: Hi there,so i bought a new HP pc and it came pre-installed with an activated Windows 11 *Home* and a bunch of bloatware.I have a Windows 11 *Pro* Retail USB-stick/license, so i plan to do a clean install with it.Now, I'm wondering whether it would be wise to keep the HP...
  3. Clean install + keep HP recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install + keep HP recovery partition: Hi there,so i bought a new HP pc and it came pre-installed with an activated Windows 11 *Home* and a bunch of bloatware.I have a Windows 11 *Pro* Retail USB-stick/license, so i plan to do a clean install with it.Now, I'm wondering whether it would be wise to keep the HP...
  4. Back up and Recovery, Clean Windows install, Factory Reset etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Back up and Recovery, Clean Windows install, Factory Reset etc.: I was just wondering when I run into a PC crash or lesser problem. How to save my most treasured Apps. which require digital licenses and/or authorization?Even when some hard copy Disc like Kofax PDF only allow a certain if any authorization downloads to reinstall. Question:...
  5. Back up and Recovery, Clean Windows install, Factory Reset etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back up and Recovery, Clean Windows install, Factory Reset etc.: I was just wondering when I run into a PC crash or lesser problem. How to save my most treasured Apps. which require digital licenses and/or authorization?Even when some hard copy Disc like Kofax PDF only allow a certain if any authorization downloads to reinstall. Question:...
  6. Back up and Recovery, Clean Windows install, Factory Reset etc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Partitions Dilemma before Clean Install

Partitions Dilemma before Clean Install: Hi! I was just about to do a clean re-install of Windows 10 (Pro/64), but got stuck/confused with my partitions: why are there two recovery partitions on Drive 0? Can I delete both/any? How would I find out which Recovery partition is the current/active one? (Going by the...
  8. How to restore my asus laptop from the recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore my asus laptop from the recovery partition: Help, a few days ago I tried to reset my asus gx501 windows 10 laptop but encountered the "There was as a problem resetting your PC" error, I tried almost every method of fixing it but had no choice to do a clean installation using the Microsoft windows 10 installation tool...
  9. Clean Installation - Recovery Partition Position

Clean Installation - Recovery Partition Position: Hi everyone, this is my first post and I wish to deeply thank you for giving newbies like me the chance of being here. What I did *Biggrin I performed a clean (fresh) installation of Windows 10 on different PC's, specifically two Lenovo laptops, Z50-70 and Yoga 2 13...
  10. Clean install with WIMBoot & delete recovery partition

Clean install with WIMBoot & delete recovery partition: I bought a 2nd hand Lenovo Idea pad 100s netbook. It has 32gb eMMC storage. It has WIMBoot. It came with Win10 but has the old owners profile so I want to reinstall a clean copy of windows 10 from usb that I downloaded from Microsoft. 2 questions: 1. Can I delete the...