Windows 10: Backing up the registry

Discus and support Backing up the registry in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is it possible to have the registry backed up on every bootup? If so how do I set it up? Thanks 76122 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by debgram, Jan 29, 2017.

1. debgram Win User

Backing up the registry

Is it possible to have the registry backed up on every bootup? If so how do I set it up? Thanks

:)

debgram, Jan 29, 2017

2. Backing up Registry

The best way to find out if it works is to install and try it. I believe it will but I do not use it so I cannot be definitive about that.

Jack Cook

http://www.experiencemobility.net

http://www.mobilitysite.com

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jan 29, 2017
  3. Backing up Registry

Hi Jack,

Thank for your help.

Have this question.

After backing up a registry and save in Desktop. The registry file is .reg

1) Where do I place this Backed Up Registry file in the Phone should something goes wrong?

What I need to do after putting it back to where it belongs?

Thanks

Peace is the fruit of Love

BinaryWave, Jan 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Backing up the registry

1. Easy way - see Tweaking.com's registry backup tool
    Registry Backup
    Set it up as a scheduled task

2. Why not schedule a system restore point?
    - extensive discussion related to the tutorial on this (see Tutorial section)

dalchina, Jan 29, 2017
  5. debgram Win User
    I tried that tweaking.com thing and it doesn't backup everytime for some reason. I do a system restore.

debgram, Jan 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    If you're not happy with that, you could look for ERUNT. A bit more technical, probably still valid. But really the way to protect yourself is to use disk imaging routinely - we recommend Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for disk/system/partition images.

dalchina, Jan 29, 2017
  7. debgram Win User
    I was using ERUNT with windows 7, will it work for windows 10? I did like that program and it worked very well.

debgram, Jan 29, 2017
  8. RolandJS Win User

Backing up the registry

I noticed Resplendence's Registry Backup & Restore uses the Windows' Task Scheduler -- I'm going to test a daily at boot / startup / only once daily routine and watch it for a week or so. If there is a problem, I hope to smoke it out and report it here. I'm using Windows 7 Pro, however, if it's a Registry Backup & Restore internal problem -- thread starter and I both will know.

RolandJS, Jan 29, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    So far, the last three days and today, a registry backup has been made at first coldboot/load/startup; I set RB&R module to only do one backup per calendar day.

RolandJS, Jan 31, 2017
  10. debgram Win User
    Is that free or paid?

debgram, Jan 31, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

What's wrong with using the standard Windows registry backup -- as people have pointed out run it as a scheduled task.

I still think though if you have a decent SSD why not backup the whole OS - only takes around 10 mins with decent SSD's and system.

OK if slow system then it *could* be worth while backing up registry - but if you are installing / uninstalling stuff you could get registry out of sync with what you've actually got on the computer when you restore it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 31, 2017
  12. RolandJS Win User
    both, I purchased the BigDeal for 3 computers, however, RB&R is free as far as I know.

RolandJS, Jan 31, 2017
  13. Samuria Win User

Backing up the registry

On boot a lot is written to the registry so it's not a good time to backup you can just export it from regedit or CMD line

Samuria, Jan 31, 2017
  14. debgram Win User
    How would I do that to schedule it?

debgram, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backing up the registry

1. Backing up the registry - Similar Threads - Backing registry

2. Deleted home using registry editor and wanting quick access back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted home using registry editor and wanting quick access back: I was annoyed by home in file explorer so I searched online and deleted it using the steps, and I went to find quick access, but I've used all the possible steps and the quick access folder still didn't appear, I've tried to pin some folders to quick access but nothing...
  3. Deleted home using registry editor and wanting quick access back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted home using registry editor and wanting quick access back: I was annoyed by home in file explorer so I searched online and deleted it using the steps, and I went to find quick access, but I've used all the possible steps and the quick access folder still didn't appear, I've tried to pin some folders to quick access but nothing...
  4. I accidentally deleted an important Registry File and I want to get it back System Cooling...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally deleted an important Registry File and I want to get it back System Cooling...: Microsoft hid the System Cooling Policy settings, but I've managed to find it.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\94D3A615-A899-4AC5-AE2B-E4D8F634367F] "Attributes"=dword:00000002I've accidentally...
  5. I accidentally deleted an important Registry File and I want to get it back System Cooling...

I accidentally deleted an important Registry File and I want to get it back System Cooling...: Microsoft hid the System Cooling Policy settings, but I've managed to find it.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\94D3A615-A899-4AC5-AE2B-E4D8F634367F] "Attributes"=dword:00000002I've accidentally...
  6. How can I back up just my Windows settings and registry changes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I back up just my Windows settings and registry changes?: My PC was a stuttery mess at first, but I made many changes that resolved this. How can I back up just these changes? I bought a 500 GB SSD just to back up my Windows settings, registry settings, and other changes I made in some applications such as MSI Afterburner. How can I...
  7. How can I back up just my Windows settings and registry changes?

How can I back up just my Windows settings and registry changes?: My PC was a stuttery mess at first, but I made many changes that resolved this. How can I back up just these changes? I bought a 500 GB SSD just to back up my Windows settings, registry settings, and other changes I made in some applications such as MSI Afterburner. How can I...
  8. How can I back up just my Windows settings and registry changes?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How to reset registry or windows 7 professional back to factory settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset registry or windows 7 professional back to factory settings: Was given a used computer with windows 7 professional on it. It has some kind of settings or something to where I can't install anything or even update anything. Now the windows update won't search for updates gives error code. I was trying to install a printer using the disc...
  10. How to reset registry or windows 7 professional back to factory settings

How to reset registry or windows 7 professional back to factory settings: Was given a used computer with windows 7 professional on it. It has some kind of settings or something to where I can't install anything or even update anything. Now the windows update won't search for updates gives error code. I was trying to install a printer using the disc...