Windows 10: Backingi up another pc o a storage space - should a file span across

Discus and support Backingi up another pc o a storage space - should a file span across in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I asked about this in the backup section, No replies so far. I am trying to backup my laptop to a Storage Space, but I get a failure due to not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by 56Kruiser, Mar 27, 2018.

1. 56Kruiser Win User

Backingi up another pc o a storage space - should a file span across

I asked about this in the backup section, No replies so far.

I am trying to backup my laptop to a Storage Space, but I get a failure due to not enough disk space. The Storage Space certainly has enough disk space, but I suspect the backup may be spanning multiple physical drives.

I would expect the storage space to handle that. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

:)

56Kruiser, Mar 27, 2018

2. Storage spaces (Windows 10)

We are considering setting up a 2 drive mirror within a Windows 10 Storage Space. If the PC should fail (rather than a drive) is it possible to recover the files by putting one of the drives in a Windows 10 PC not running storage spaces? Is the format and
    file structure compatible?

Chrisdi Benga, Mar 27, 2018
  3. Storage spaces (Windows 10)

Hi Chrisdi,

Windows 10 is using the same file format with storage space, therefore it is compatible across Windows 10 PC. We recommend checking this
    article for more information on how to use storage spaces in Windows 10.

Let us know if you find this helpful.

Justine Pel, Mar 27, 2018
  4. dmholt57 Win User

You should tell us what version or build of Windows you are running by filling out your System Specs in your profile. Include a screenshot of Disk Management and be specific as to the drive you are trying to use. Best practice, get an external drive to backup the laptop on. *Nerd

dmholt57, Mar 27, 2018
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I thought that's the whole point of storage spaces - to provide a sort of Windows Software RAID -- you just define an aggregate of volumes and Windows should present that to you in File explorer as say Device D / Storage space D or whatever and you don't have to worry where the data physically resides on Disk.

To set up storage spaces correctly you have to possibly set up Dynamic Disks / Spanned volumes and allocate a storage pool / space --then it should work swimmingly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 27, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    How much space have you got on the drive your backing up as it may compile the backup on that drive before writing to the target. Why not use disk imaging for backup

Samuria, Mar 27, 2018
  7. 56Kruiser Win User
    I clicked on the System Spec tab in My Profile, and see no way to edit it. INfo below:

The PC I am backing up: Windows 10 1709 Build 16299.309
    PC Backing Up to: Windows 10 PRO 1703 Build 15063.674

Backingi up another pc o a storage space -  should a file span across [​IMG]

I thought so too.

The drive I am backing up is 928 GB, and has 669 GB free.

I actually am trying imaging with Macrium Reflect, and it is giving me those errors.

I then next tried file backup with Windows 10. I may be misinterpreting how to do that. This pc does not have Windows 10 PRO, and maybe I am expecting how it works.

The laptop I"m backing up has a C: SSD drive which I am imaging to the D: drive which is a 1TB 7200 rpm drive. Keeping all data on D: I want to back up that data separately to the server in my other room.

When I select Backup from Settings, it has an option to select drive. I expected it to ask what drive I'm wanting to backup files from. But I think it waanted to know where to backup the files to. I have selected the server drive. I don't see anything showing up there...and that really isn't what I want to do.

I suspect I should just give up and get an external drive. But then I have to bother with hooking that up and doing it manually rather than setting a schedule to backup to the server.

Getting the Macrium backup to work to the storage space on the server would be my easiest plan.

56Kruiser, Mar 27, 2018
  8. 56Kruiser Win User

FYI...I contacted Macrium support, and they say there must be something wrong with my Storage Space.I"m going to investigate that.

56Kruiser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Backingi up another pc o a storage space - should a file span across - Similar Threads - Backingi another storage

2. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  3. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  4. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  5. Free up storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free up storage space: Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I just wasn't sure where else to put this. My laptop has barely any storage space left, and that's because 174 gigabytes of it are being used by apps. The problem is, I don't have many apps with large sizes, I just have tons of apps...
  6. System files taking up 85GB of storage space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System files taking up 85GB of storage space: Today I got a system notification on Windows 10 telling me that my C: drive is full, so I checked where most of the used space came from and found this. It seems like 85GB out of my 111GB drive are being occupied by system files, here you can see how 77GB are being used by...
  7. Temporary files eating up 20gb+ of storage space??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Temporary files eating up 20gb+ of storage space??: Temporary files is eating up 20gb+ of storage on my device but when I go to it, it doesn't let me free up the space, can someone help? [ATTACH][ATTACH] I'm not low on storage or anything but I'd like to know why that suddenly took up so much space on my hard drive....
  8. Storage Spaces drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces drive not showing up in file explorer: Hi I had two hard drives that were set up as a storage space. This drive no longer appears in file explorer. I can see the physical drives in device manager and the Microsoft storage space, The drive shows as unallocated space. Is there some way to easily resolve this?...
  9. Spanned Disk - Missing Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spanned Disk - Missing Space: Hello, I have created a spanned disk consisting of two 1TB drives so the total space is 2TB. But after having only used 1TB of space the disk appears as full. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks submitted by /u/esfomeado [link] [comments]...
  10. 'Other' files taking up storage space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    'Other' files taking up storage space: Alright, so I have a Windows 10 laptop with 29.1 gigabytes on the C drive. Now, sometimes when I go to settings, system, storage, and see how much space's taken up by the system files, sometimes it'll say about 17 GB while other times it'll say 19 GB. Because the system files...