Windows 10: Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further

Discus and support Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A setting has been changed (I suspect by my 3 year old) and now whenever I press the backspace key it changes the last icon to x and then won't delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sharonarthur, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further

A setting has been changed (I suspect by my 3 year old) and now whenever I press the backspace key it changes the last icon to x and then won't delete any further.
    It means I'm having to highlight everything to delete what needs changing.

I've checked keyboard functions and languages (everything else seems to be working fine) and have checked filter keys which is fine.
    I've gone through all the FN functions and it doesn't seem to be that.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

:)

sharonarthur, Feb 22, 2018
  2. troi52x Win User

My cursor freezes or disappears randomly and my backspace key has suddenly not deleted multiple letters.

My cursor freezes or disappears randomly and often. I press the F5 key to get it back.

My backspace key has suddenly not deleted multiple letters.

I am totally frustrated. Can anyone help?!?!?!?

Original Title: cursor and backspace problems

troi52x, Feb 22, 2018
  3. windows 10 caused a change in my computer keyboard.

I installed *Windows 10 a while back. Now some of my key board keys do not work appropriately. For example, when I use the SHIFT key on the right to *Capitalize I get an * before the letter. Never worked like this before. *Also, My delete key changes
    the letter from the letter to "8". I then have to backspace out the "8s". Some of the numbers on the key pad don't work, either. Just stupid little things but very annoying. How can I fix this?

BonnieHoover, Feb 22, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further

If you run the NirSoft program HotKeysList (free download) it will tell you if the backspace key has had a shortcut associated with it (which is what I suspect is causing your difficulties). Try it and see if anything comes up for backspace. If so, we'll then have to figure out how to cancel that assignment.

L̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶P̶C̶ ̶M̶a̶g̶a̶z̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶"̶M̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶H̶o̶t̶k̶e̶y̶s̶"̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶w̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶H̶o̶t̶K̶e̶y̶ ̶D̶e̶t̶e̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶2̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶ ̶"̶o̶w̶n̶s̶"̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶i̶g̶n̶m̶e̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶c̶e̶l̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶

Drat! Looks like Hotkey Detective 2 is NOT free, and isn't terribly trustworthy or reliable, either. It's looking like a Ziff-Davis attempt to extract money from readers and users like us. Sigh. Does anybody know if AutoHotKey (a known, good, working hotkey management tool recommended by many TenForums regulars) can help this person figure out in which program the hotkey may have been assigned? Sigh again.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: sorry for the false lead. I should've chased it all the way to ground before saying anything about it. Sigh yet one more time.

PPS: I found a SuperUser thread that addresses this issue in Windows 10 with a Visual Studio tool, but it doesn't look like something that will appeal (or make sense) to casual, non-power users/non-developers: keyboard shortcuts - How can I determine which process owns a hotkey in Windows? - Super User. Zounds! This turns out to be a tricky and interesting problem. Your 3-year-old is obviously headed for a future in the computer biz...

EdTittel, Feb 22, 2018
Thema:

Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further

1. Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further - Similar Threads - Backspace key changing

2. Backspace and delete keys are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backspace and delete keys are not working: After recent Windows 11 update 22H2 delete key and backspace keys are not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backspace-and-delete-keys-are-not-working/ac3b1e15-f293-40ec-93c8-f8bb2ab18409
  3. Backspace and delete keys are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backspace and delete keys are not working: After recent Windows 11 update 22H2 delete key and backspace keys are not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backspace-and-delete-keys-are-not-working/ac3b1e15-f293-40ec-93c8-f8bb2ab18409
  4. Backspace key only deletes one letter at a time in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Backspace key only deletes one letter at a time in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]In this post, we will see what you should do if the Backspace key only deletes one letter at a time on your Windows 11/10 device. The backspace key is used for correction while editing a document. When you press it, the cursor starts moving backward and deleting the...
  5. backspace key behavior changed

in Windows 10 Support
    backspace key behavior changed: Hello, Two nights ago my computer updated and rebooted itself. Since then, my backspace key will only move one space at a time - no more holding the key down for multiple backspaces. How can I return it to its normal behavior? Win 10 ver 20H2 182415
  6. Backspace key not deleting files in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backspace key not deleting files in windows explorer: Hi, recently my backspace key stopped deleting files in windows explorer, instead doing the equivalent of the back button on the top left. I think I accidentally hit some keyboard shortcut to toggle this, but I can't figure out how to switch it back. How do I fix this?...
  7. Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Backspace deleting whole words instead of 1 letter.: I've had this issue for about a year now. And it comes and goes.. I have a razer ornate chroma keyboard. And when i press backspace it deletes the whole word instead of just 1 letter. I've tried all i can do and research but ive come up with nothing. pressing ctrl or pause...
  8. Backspace Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backspace Key: Anytime I press the backspace it the cursor moves back once and goes back to the start. This only happens that i know of on discord and microsoft word online or Microsoft Office Home....
  9. Pressing Backspace deletes a letter from left as well as from right

Pressing Backspace deletes a letter from left as well as from right: When I press the backspace button, anything on either side starts to delete as it would normally. So if I have to correct something and I press backspace it deletes a letter to the left and the right each time I press it ***Modified title from: Backspace button***...
  10. Backspace Key not working

Backspace Key not working: Has anyone experienced their backspace key not working in Windows 10? Or is this a known problem with Toshiba. The key has never been wet. It's just not working correctly. Whenever I type something up on for example (The Knot), the key will will not respond to the command....