Windows 10: Backspace Key not working

Discus and support Backspace Key not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Has anyone experienced their backspace key not working in Windows 10? Or is this a known problem with Toshiba. The key has never been wet. It's just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jesse Williams, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Backspace Key not working

Has anyone experienced their backspace key not working in Windows 10? Or is this a known problem with Toshiba. The key has never been wet. It's just not working correctly. Whenever I type something up on for example (The Knot), the key will will not respond to the command. Help needed please!

:)

Jesse Williams, Dec 19, 2016
  2. Ryan Fra Win User

Backspace key not working

Hi,

This issue may have happened due to different reasons like faulty keyboard or like what you mentioned if it is infected by Malware.

Please answer the following questions to narrow down this concern:

• Have you tried connecting an external keyboard? This will tell us if there's an issue with the keyboard.
    • Have you tried scanning the computer using Windows Defender or other security software? If not, please scan your computer.

Ryan Fra, Dec 19, 2016
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Backspace key not working

As already mentioned by Ryan, these problems are rarely malware and more often simply hardware issues with either the keyboard or other device.

The simple method to confirm this is to borrow a keyboard from another computer system to see whether the issue you're having goes away. If it does you need to either find the paperclip or other metal floating around under the keys, sticking key(s) due
    to a liquid spill or finally just buy a new keyboard to permantly solve the problem.

The symptoms of malware causing keyboard or mouse problems are typically much more flaky and unpredictable, so this doesn't sound like one of those and the malware cause is actually much more rare. It's just common for people to always assume malware, since
    only a small number typically experience such hardware failures, so very few really know how strange such failures can look to the untrained eye.

I've seen dozens myself, even on my own laptops when I've spilled liquid like lemonade which takes a day or two to dry enough that the sticking keys and resultant strange key combinations begin to show themselves.

Rob

Rob Koch, Dec 19, 2016
  4. Backspace Key not working

Note: This only happens on Microsoft Edge.

5. Bree New Member
    While I'm posting this reply here on TenForums using Edge on my Toshiba the Backspace button deletes the character before the cursor, as I'd expect it to. The only time it does anything different is if I shift the focus away from the 'Quick Reply' text box (say, by highlighting the words 'Autism Awareness' beneath your name in order to copy them). If I then hit Backspace it acts as if you'd hit the browser's 'Back' button and take me to the previous page.

Do you have any extension loaded in your Edge? Tried turning them off?

Does it happen on all sites? Or just one or two?

6. It happened last night on all sites on Edge. Internet Explorer, it did fine.

7. Bree New Member
    When 'odd' things start happening with the mouse and/or keyboard the first thing I try is a Restart. It has to be a Restart and not a Shut down then start up again as 'fast shutdown' preserves some system states - Restart does a full start up from cold.

8. Backspace Key not working

Okie dokie...well I did a restart after I experienced that problem, and it didn't help.

9. Berton Win User
    Over time I've found mouse and keyboard problems can frequently be cleared up by shutting the computer down, pulling the power cord out [and removing the battery on Notebooks], pull the mouse and keyboard plugs out, wait several seconds then put everything back and try again. Unseen/Unfelt static electricity can cause issues and this process 'normalizes' things. I actually got taught more about that when my wife would walk across the room, move the mouse to wake the computer and killed the motherboard, now has an anti-static pad [me too] to touch first.

Berton, Dec 19, 2016
  10. I have this issue with Edge and only Edge. I will often lose the backspace functionality when typing an e-mail into an OWA window. If I mouse click on the window, suddenly my backspace works until the next time I need it. Very annoying.

DeaconFrost, Dec 19, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    So it is loss of focus that's the problem, but doesn't answer the 'how/why' question. Very odd... I can't reproduce the problem on 14393.576, if I deliberately move the focus elsewhere on the page and type Backspace I get asked if I want to leave this page. Which build are you on?

12. It isn't related to a loss of focus. It happens as I am typing in Edge. If I misspell a word and hit backspace, nothing happens. I have all updates install, running Build 38.14393.0.0 of Edge.

DeaconFrost, Dec 21, 2016
  13. Backspace Key not working

Exactly. I don't think mine has done lately. It does it occasionally.

Jesse Williams, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Backspace Key not working

1. Backspace Key not working - Similar Threads - Backspace Key working

2. Backspace and enter key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backspace and enter key not working: I was playing games with my friends, and I was trying to say something in chat when suddenly the enter key won't work. I was trying to tell my friends that my backspace and enter keys won't work. So I searched on youtube on how to fix this problem, but none of those work,...
  3. Backspace and enter key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backspace and enter key not working: I was playing games with my friends, and I was trying to say something in chat when suddenly the enter key won't work. I was trying to tell my friends that my backspace and enter keys won't work. So I searched on youtube on how to fix this problem, but none of those work,...
  4. Backspace and enter key not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Backspace and delete keys are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backspace and delete keys are not working: After recent Windows 11 update 22H2 delete key and backspace keys are not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backspace-and-delete-keys-are-not-working/ac3b1e15-f293-40ec-93c8-f8bb2ab18409
  6. Backspace and delete keys are not working

Backspace and delete keys are not working: After recent Windows 11 update 22H2 delete key and backspace keys are not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backspace-and-delete-keys-are-not-working/ac3b1e15-f293-40ec-93c8-f8bb2ab18409
  7. Backspace key automatically working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backspace key automatically working: My backspace automatically working even if I don't press it, but when I hold it it stop working so when I need to type something on search box I still need to keep on holding at the backspace. What might be the problem here? do I need to buy a new one?...
  8. Backspace key automatically working

Backspace key automatically working: My backspace automatically working even if I don't press it, but when I hold it it stop working so when I need to type something on search box I still need to keep on holding at the backspace. What might be the problem here? do I need to buy a new one?...
  9. Backspace key automatically working

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Backspace Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backspace Key: Anytime I press the backspace it the cursor moves back once and goes back to the start. This only happens that i know of on discord and microsoft word online or Microsoft Office Home....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. backspace key not working

2. microsoft edge backspace not working outlook

3. acer e5771 after updating windows 10 build 1809 keyboard delete spacebar and backspace not working